IGNORED

No Keys for 1983 venture royale

To elaborate on what Bob said:

The key code is stamped on the side of the ignition switch assembly. You'll need to remove it to see the code. I've only ever pulled one and if I recall correctly a 10mm socket and a bunch of extensions will let you get to it from under the fairing so you don't have to remove any plastic. It requires some contortions, especially getting it back in.

I don't think your dealer can do anything with the key code. A competent lock smith might. Someone here has been advertising that they can punch cut keys, I think from the key code.

I have ordered keys by code from key men Key Men - Keys for Classics. They're tough to deal with though and can take a couple weeks. If you send them incorrect information they're likely to just ignore you.

I recently picked up a full lock set (four saddlebag locks, gas cap and ignition switch from a MKII) on eBay for small money, albeit without key(s). I took one of the saddlebag locks to a local locksmith and he made two keys to fit for only $15. Considering the dealer gets $7.50 per key to copy an existing key, I thought this very reasonable.

YMMV

I work for Honda House in Richmond, VA a Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am dealership. During my years in parts (I'm now the company bookkeeper) we did a lot of Honda keys by this method: We've got what can best be described as a set of clipping pliers with lever set cam attachments. Based on the number imprinted on the ignition lock body, we can do replacement keys using a somewhat soft metal Wurth key blank. The downside is that the pliers aren't strong enough to clip the factory (harder steel) blanks. Just checked with my old parts manager, and at our shop we're not set up to do Yamaha (we just took the line on about 18 months ago), but I don't doubt there's a Yamaha dealer who could handle it for you.

I wonder if a saddlebag or trunk set would have the key numbers on em? If you had a key number we could all check our keys, see if any match, take one to key guy and have one made and send it to you,, taaah daaahhh

I broke a key for my honda helix, took the gas tank lock set cover in and had a set made for it cost me 5 bucks BUT, the key for the ignition has an extra slice down the center of the key,, I took a dremel tool with a cut off blade and ground a groove into the center of both sides of the new key, WORKED PERFECT - didnt have to remove the switch.. I wonder if the same thing could be done with Daves bike here using his trunk or a saddle back lock... I have lots of old keys around and would be glad to check em..