When in Stugis this last Aug I seen this one mounted to a bike and talked to the rider. He was telling me he had a go pro white and upgraded to this one and did not like it. He gave me a few reasons why and I don't remember what he said because I truly took it off my list. I ran across-ed another biker who had a go pro Silver and he also upgraded from the white and truly loved his silver and the explanations were as follows.

Pictured quality from 1080 to 750 is not that noticeable

Battery lasts a lot longer at 750

Videos are very good and clear

Simple and easy to set up

So on his recommendation this is the one that we are getting for our bikes and after all my research it is a real mobile and compact unit.

Just saw that Web Bike World had picked this as one of their products of the year. I've never even heard of it but I know there was a recent discussion here about the best action cameras. At a list price of $399.00, it had better be very good.

Sena Prism Review - webBikeWorld

Good lookin piece of equipment Don,, reading that info made me think,, I wonder what kind of interest there would be in having a higher dollar camera like that as the "Grand Prize" for the International drawing.. Easy to ship or transport,, something anyone could use.. I won a camera at Vogel couple years back - sure was a lot of :sign green with envin the crowd down there :witch_brew:,, even heard some chat of hanging the guys who showed Tip and I to the campground cause ol Puc happened to win:big-grin-emoticon:

There I go,, thinking summer again:stirthepot:

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since this thread started and there's been lots of changes. So which one is it today? Still a GOPro? Maybe the Hero5 or Hero6? They seem kind of pricey. But are you getting what you pay for?

Here's my story: Marca bought me a remote car starter and at first glance it seemed really a nice idea, but then we got to discussing it and discovered that it would be used very little. We have a Dodge pickup and a SantaFe. I use the pickup mostly and the SantaFe is for her use. She rarely goes out on her own and the Dodge is parked close enough that I can physically start it and fire up the needed accessories at the same time, so no real use when at home. The only time it would be handy is when I'm out plowing snow, then I could fire it up when we're close to done, and that would only be about 5-6 times per year, no real reason to have one and the per event costs would be outrageous. The Dodge is a 2008, so not a whole lot of years left in her I think, at least not when a remote starter is figured in.

So we decided to invest in an action camera for me instead, but now, which one? Don't ask me what I plan to use it for, I don't have one, never used one, so I'm green when it comes to these things, although I'm thinking that maybe next year, or for my birthday a drone might be thoughtful item.

So I need some answers to some questions.

1) If you have one, what do you use it for?

2) If you don't have one, why would you want one?

3) If you have one, do you use it at all?

4) Suggested brand and the benefits or lack thereof.

5) How long do batteries last?

6) Does the data transfer to my computer or do I need to use a cloud? BTW, cloud usage is out of the question for me.

7) Is it necessary to use a specific SD card, or will others do the job as well?

8) Any issues with service?

9) Or anything else you might find important to share.

It's been a while since this thread started and there's been lots of changes. So which one is it today? Still a GOPro? Maybe the Hero5 or Hero6? They seem kind of pricey. But are you getting what you pay for?

Here's my story: Marca bought me a remote car starter and at first glance it seemed really a nice idea, but then we got to discussing it and discovered that it would be used very little. We have a Dodge pickup and a SantaFe. I use the pickup mostly and the SantaFe is for her use. She rarely goes out on her own and the Dodge is parked close enough that I can physically start it and fire up the needed accessories at the same time, so no real use when at home. The only time it would be handy is when I'm out plowing snow, then I could fire it up when we're close to done, and that would only be about 5-6 times per year, no real reason to have one and the per event costs would be outrageous. The Dodge is a 2008, so not a whole lot of years left in her I think, at least not when a remote starter is figured in.

So we decided to invest in an action camera for me instead, but now, which one? Don't ask me what I plan to use it for, I don't have one, never used one, so I'm green when it comes to these things, although I'm thinking that maybe next year, or for my birthday a drone might be thoughtful item.

6) Does the data transfer to my computer or do I need to use a cloud? BTW, cloud usage is out of the question for me.

7) Is it necessary to use a specific SD card, or will others do the job as well?

I am also interest to see the replies to these questions.

Venturefar Far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- only time I use it when I'm getting some action....on the bike I mean....rather....when I'm riding my Venture. I don't ski, don't mountain bike....so I've mounted it on the bike (RamMount) when doing group rides. Thought when I got it (was free for me) I'd use it when touring but haven't done any long distance riding since 2013.

- some people use it as a "dash cam" for protection against people that cause an accident with you so you have proof of who is at fault.

- N/A

- couple times a year when group riding. Have some nice shots of the line-up in front of me going around sweeping bends, up and down hills.... damn....when is Spring coming?

- I've only used the GoPro and am happy with it. When people compare their product against another I take it that the "other" is the leader that people are trying to catch up to

- no long enough. I got an extended battery but with fairly regular use (you can do still as well as video) you might get 4 hours out of it. Get a second extended battery and charge it while using the other one. Problem with the waterproof housing once you close it up there is no port to plug into the camera available so the only way you could wire it to the bike is to punch a hole in the waterproof housing....making it less than waterproof.

- like you I don't use the "cloud". I prefer sunny weather. I copy the videos to my laptop during a trip to free up storage space. Get a couple good size micro SD cards so you don't have to worry about running out of space when on a day ride.

- micro SD card "rated" for HD video - there are different speeds rated on cards

- I could use some help with checking my valves over the Winter.... maybe changing out my clutch line to SS braided...

- nice thing with GoPro I haven't needed service

- turn it off when crossing the border. Border guards won't be too impressed if they see the red light flashing. Think recording them is a no-no

- an notice to people wondering about the Ontario rally....we will be having a planning session on Wednesday evening. Announcement on location and time coming

I picked up a NIB GoPro knock off for about $60.00 in trade. It seems to work well. I had issues with the video and the audio not synchronizing properly but that turned out to be a combination of hi rez capture and low end play back hardware. I went down to a lower video resolution and ran it on a newer machine and everything is fine.

I thought I'd use it a lot more that I do. I just don't think about it and forget that I have it most times!

I may dash mount it in the car or truck just to get some video proof of the lack of driving skills in my little chunk of paradise.

ETA: I want to add that I was very surprised at the audio recording from this cheap little camera. I'd thought the audio of recordings when riding would be nothing but wind and ambient noise but it picks up my voice quite clearly and keeps the wind rush at a minimum nicely with no audio connections, just the condenser mic on-board.

- I could use some help with checking my valves over the Winter.... maybe changing out my clutch line to SS braided...

More questions:

1) Is your workspace heated?

2) Is there coffee on hand?

3) Do you have the proper parts?

4) Do you know what you're doing?

5) If I goof up, who pays the bill?

6) Is this project time sensitive?

7) Does the bike need to run when we're done?

8) Do you have a first aid kit handy the includes a defibrillator?

9) Will there be watchers and advisors?

10) Is there an hourly rate, and has it increased with the minimum wage increase?

11) Do I need to bring a lunch or do I need to walk to work?

12) If there are 12 screws will it be alright just to remove just 10?

13) Will you be there if I don't show up and then how will I know?

14) Do I need to bring any tools? caution, the rate doubles when I bring tools.

15) Will others be disappointed if they don't get to 'help'?

16) Do you have bleachers or is it standing room only, keep in mind there needs to be room for at least 1 LazyBoy.

Enough for now, I might think of more when you have all these answered.

More questions:

1) Is your workspace heated?

-Yes

2) Is there coffee on hand?

- Always

3) Do you have the proper parts?

Yes

4) Do you know what you're doing?

- No....that's why I need assistance

5) If I goof up, who pays the bill?

- there won't be anyone name "Bill" here. Just me... you can still call me Steve

6) Is this project time sensitive?

- completion before Spring

7) Does the bike need to run when we're done?

- does it get dark every night?

8) Do you have a first aid kit handy the includes a defibrillator?

- I have 120 and 220V outlets in the garage....and wires

9) Will there be watchers and advisors?

- Just me

10) Is there an hourly rate, and has it increased with the minimum wage increase?

- You don't have to pay me

11) Do I need to bring a lunch or do I need to walk to work?

- dinner on me....not on me but I'll pay

12) If there are 12 screws will it be alright just to remove just 10?

- as long as 12 screws go back in....

13) Will you be there if I don't show up and then how will I know?

- for now I live here so yes, I'll show up. If I'm not here, you can start without me (might go faster that way)

14) Do I need to bring any tools? caution, the rate doubles when I bring tools.

- I don't have any shims. Can make some out of wood

15) Will others be disappointed if they don't get to 'help'?

- No one will know but you and I

16) Do you have bleachers or is it standing room only, keep in mind there needs to be room for at least 1 LazyBoy.

- Marca can stay inside where it is warm ! I wouldn't make her sit in a cold garage !

A few on here including myself have the Drift cameras. Personally I don't believe the picture quality is any better, or worse, than the GP despite what the manufacturers and owners say. Having said that, what I prefer about the Drift is that you can mount it at any angle, right side up, upside down, etc etc. The lens rotates on the camera so if your mount is not horizontal, you simply turn the lens so that it is. No shortage of mounting options including using GP mounts if needed. Waterproof (without having to buy a separate case), auto start and stop with 12 volt plug (start the bike/vehicle and the camera starts recording, stop it and the camera stops), and at the time I bought mine, had the longest lasting rechargeable battery on the market, noticeably longer than the GP. I would only use the battery for power if I was using the camera outside a vehicle. I bought mine to use solely as backup in the event of an accident but do occasionally download the video to my computer for a special sightseeing trip I’ve done. The video writes over itself after about 3 hours of recording I think (called continuous loop) which is fine for what I need. I can also save video as needed simply by pressing a button on the camera or the remote that comes with it, thereby preventing the continuous loop from over writing that which I want to save. Do your research, figure out what you’re going to use it for and purchase accordingly. Drift, like GP are not cheap but you get what you pay for. I have found Drift service to be very good although I only had one problem with the power cord that they quickly replaced without question. Just a thought. Doug