IGNORED

Front Fork oil amount with new Sonic Install.... HELP...

KIC

I have searched through the forum and the instructions that came with the springs. I can not confirm the amount of oil to re-install in the forks. The only amount I see is in a thread about changing the oil but doesn't seem to be specific to Sonics.

It seems to me that the 10 1/2 inches of PVC would displace more oil than the stock springs so less oil would/should be added to forks.

In the middle of the job now so any help would be appreciated.

Here is a post done by Rick Butler and he has done several of these. My and V7Goose did mine but I can't find my notes about it.

The plastic tubing that Sonic supplied was grey shedule 50 PVC and is what just about everyone uses for preload spacers. If they only supplied one piece, it probably wasn't enough for both forks. You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some more, where it you really need longer spacers. Or I'm sure Rich will send you a couple of pieces if you need him to.

Once you have set your fluid level (120-130mm from top) with the springs out and forks completely collapsed, you can extend the forks to where they stop and put the springs back in to measure the preload spacers. Measure the distance from the top of the springs to the top of the forks. Before you do this go ahead and drop 2 washers on top of the springs. This will allow for this thickness where you can take one out which will go on top of the spacer before you screw the cap in. At a minimum the spacer should come to the top of the fork tube. That way it will compress the springs by the thickness of the fork cap which is about 26mm. Sometimes I go a couple of mm more to get some extra preload for a heavy rider.

Thanks FreeBird for the info. That was what was holding us up. I didn't want to put the 553CC's per fork if the Schedule 80 PVC was going to displace more fluid than a coil spring would. It seems to have worked out great. DAV? rode it home and made it in one piece. That got me past my 5-feet/5-seconds warranty for all work completed. :080402gudl_prv: