IGNORED

Inflatable hot tubs

Jayceesfolly

When I retired three years ago, my wife and I bought a new home and left behind a conventional hot tub, at our old home. We enjoyed it for 15 years and then got rid of it because of age and the fact that we no longer were excited to be going out in 15 degree F weather to use it outside on the patio, in the winter.

We have been discussing getting a new one for our home but don't want to put it outside due to the expense of keeping it heated in our Western NY winters. I have seen advertisements for the new inflatable spas and tubs and thought we could use one outdoors in the summer and then move it into our basement in the winter so that we could use it year round.

Do any members have one of these units and use it indoors in the winter and what are the drawbacks about the moisture level in a heated basement? Any and all comments and thoughts (both pro and con) would be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I have owned one for many years, so I am familiar with the operation and chemicals, etc.. Just not sure about the moisture in an enclosed heated basement.

Jim

To keep it indoors you'd need to have it in an enclosed room with automatic humidity control ventilation otherwise you'll have way too much humidity in the house causing sweating windows and mold/mildew trouble. There's more to it than just plopping a tub down there! It can be done as long as you do it right.

Using a MPS and mineral sanitizing system eliminates the odors you get from chlorine or baquil systems, then theres also salt purification too.

I really like the MPS and mineral sanitizing system. Way less chemicals, NO smell . :thumbsup2:

As mentioned humidity will be your biggest battle.

I have a 150 gallon aquarium which is no where near the surface area or temperature of a hot tub. I have to run the biggest dehumidifier I could find and I have to run it year round or everything in the house stays wet.

As far as the hot tub, I looked at some, but chickened out with the humidity issues.

Edited by Flyinfool

I have a hot tub outside. Perminate type I guess you might call it. It has a cover on it and I would think if you had a cover on the soft sided ones it should hold the moisture in. Now the inside of the cover get pretty wet for sure. Im sure you are also aware that the portable jobs are probably 110v and cost more to run and wont have quite the pumps etc the 220v jobs do.

Do any members have one of these units and use it indoors in the winter and what are the drawbacks about the moisture level in a heated basement? Any and all comments and thoughts (both pro and con) would be appreciated.

As I mentioned, I have owned one for many years, so I am familiar with the operation and chemicals, etc.. Just not sure about the moisture in an enclosed heated basement.

Jim

Have had several of the inflatable and "portable" spas in the last 10 years. About 2 years ago we just bit the bullet and got a hard-sided one. Here's the things I liked/disliked about them.

1. Inflatable spas. All 110, no options to use 220. Not terribly high, usually about 30" tall at most. 6' around is usual. About 250 gallons of water to fill. Drain options are usually the circulation hoses through the side of the unit. Pump is also used to inflate unit. Tops are just thicket vinyl, elastic and snaps for the top. Not terribly secure, but in an enclosed space probably fine. They stretch pretty easily (cats sleeping on hot tub) and can be quite expensive to replace. Chlorine/bromine water treatment only. Heater/blowwer are exclusive - only one works at a time. Filters usually in water and can be bumped by user. Getting in and out can be tricky if mobility issues.

2. Spa-N-Box hard sided "portable". Not a bad setup, but basically #1 above with styrofoam panels that have been coated in some sort of liquid ABS or other plastic. Thicket vinyl that the pure inflatables. Same restrictions, though I do belive you can get 220 wiring setup for it, check their website. Also about 30" high, no provision for steps on the inside, inflatable floor, etc. I found that by putting some of the silver bubble wrap insulation underneath it helped with heat retention. Snap on cover of thicket vinyl, same issues as noted above. Drain issues as above.

Had on non-enclosed back porch, so no idea on the humidity issues, though would expect that it would be the same as having a large bath-tub 24/7. On the plus side, you can get them into a space that a normal hot tub would be impossible, and the pure inflatable comes in a box that was about 2' x 2' x 3' if I remember right, and was under about 80lbs weight.

Best of luck, and hope this helps in the decision.

Glenn in Tucson

Thanks for the replies. I am going to explore the moisture problem a bit more and will look at putting a ventilating system in the basement. I originally just wanted to be able to use the hot tub outside in the summer and then move it indoors in the winter, so we can continue to use it during the cold winters here. I'm getting too old to sit outside in a hot tub in 15 degree weather. It's not the tub that is the problem, but the cold air (on my bare butt) when I run from the tub to the house and back!! How's that for a picture!! :cold: :moon:

Jim :yikes:

Jeff:

Here is a "G" rated pic. I hope it helps your brain!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95995[/ATTACH]

This was the conventional hot tub I had at my old home.

Glenn:

I looked at the Spa-n-Box and the write ups didn't rate them very well, so I think I will keep looking for another unit.

Jim