IGNORED

Fuel pump??

DarkLeftArm

Hey all. It's been a while. Been riding too much to spend time in front of the computer!

I think I have a problem.

Went out to go for a ride this afternoon, and out of the blue, she wouldn't fire. ('07 RSV) Always fires on the first crank.

I pulled the choke out all the way, and if I cranked it a while, she'd finally catch and idle real slow. If I touched the throttle or choke, she stalled.

Then I started replaying my actions in my mind, and realized I never heard the fuel pump clicking.

Off with the seat and side panel. Tapped on the pump with my fingertip, and when I turned on the ignition, the pump ran like the carbs were clear empty.

Now it seems fine. Starts and runs like new.

Is my pump trying to tell me something?

Do they give warning before they fail?

This was a New Old Stock bike, that might still be under warranty.

Will the dealer replace the pump because I said it was having a fit?

Looks like my Christmas road trip is out the window.

Thanks for any help and opinions.

Bert

Don't let this mess up your road trip. (How big a trip?) Buy/Beg/Borrow a fuel pump somehow. You can buy a Mr. Gasket pump at Autozone or Advance Auto or O'riellys if you cant get an Ebay pump shipped in time. There is a thread in the tech section on how to do the Mr Gasket installation.

I read PB&Js write up and saw that the hose barbs are the wrong size, which I think would just be a mess. And there's no provision for a check valve, and that I'd have to remember to turn off the petcock each time. Not too much trouble, but I just know myself too well. I'd forget.

Maybe I'll look into the Mr. Gasket swap. Any idea if there's a check valve involved?

I'd better get reading.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had same thing happen to my 06 this fall. I opted to buy an OEM from Yamaha and will buy a new set of points to fix the old one so I have it as a backup. While you are in there changing the fuel pump, you should also change your fuel filter as if it is clogged up, it will contribute to making the pump work harder.

• 1 month later...

Update here.

The dealer wanted me to bring it in so they could witness a failure. Since it was a one time occurrence, I was skeptical. Well I guess the guy I was talking to believed I'd done my homework, because they put in a new pump.

When this one fails, I'm going with the aircraft pump. Just seems like a good idea.

Until then, I'm gonna keep riding it like I stole it.

Sounds like you got yourself a good dealer there Lefty - GOOD ON YA!! There is nothing sweeter than having an intermittent problem repaired under warranty simply by word of mouth!! Hats off to that dealership where ever they are!! :thumbsup:

Hey all. It's been a while. Been riding too much to spend time in front of the computer!

I think I have a problem.

Went out to go for a ride this afternoon, and out of the blue, she wouldn't fire. ('07 RSV) Always fires on the first crank.

I pulled the choke out all the way, and if I cranked it a while, she'd finally catch and idle real slow. If I touched the throttle or choke, she stalled.

Then I started replaying my actions in my mind, and realized I never heard the fuel pump clicking.

Off with the seat and side panel. Tapped on the pump with my fingertip, and when I turned on the ignition, the pump ran like the carbs were clear empty.

Now it seems fine. Starts and runs like new.

Is my pump trying to tell me something?

Do they give warning before they fail?

This was a New Old Stock bike, that might still be under warranty.

Will the dealer replace the pump because I said it was having a fit?

Looks like my Christmas road trip is out the window.

Thanks for any help and opinions.

Bert

Hey DarkLeftArm, un related question. Is that your bird in your display picture?

Mine failed and I replaced it with the facet. It has the check valve and is also solid state no points to go bad. You have to modify the connection points but it's not hard and it works great.200. Look for a solid state pump sold for old VWs or jeeps. Here are a couple of links for replacement pumps under $50:

Autozone 4-7 PSI NOTE: since this pump is double the pressure of the stock pump, I would not use it unless I could not find any other.

Autozone 2-3 1/2 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-4 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-3 1/2 PSI

Mr. Gasket 42S, Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pumps | Mr. Gasket

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...facetpumps.php Parts 40105 and 40171

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...067330545&An=0

General note on available pumps - most (probably all) of these pumps are Facet brand fuel pumps, and the correct Facet part number is 42S (also goes by 40105). Facet has recently replaced their old cube pumps with new Posi-Flo pumps, and the correct part number for the Posi-Flo is 04S (also goes by 60104). Either part number may be preceded by "PRO" or "FEP". Also note that the 40171 pump is the ONLY one that has both a check valve and positive shutoff, so it would be the best choice for use on a motorcycle that does not have an automatic fuel shutoff when the engine is off (such as ours). All of the other pumps all

Edited by Raider58

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Raider58 for all the options.

And Chaharley...

Yep that green menace is named Capt. Ike. I've been plagued with him for over 15 years now. And yes I take him on the bike. I have a backpack/birdcage where he rides. He loves the noise and wind!

Lefty, you and the CptN' werent touring out near Crater Lake last summer were you? I have pics somewhere of a biker bird sitting on Tips arm from that one, be pretty cool if that happened to have been CaptN Ike.. Never hurts to ask!

Heyyy,, just thought of something,, are you two coming to Don's MD this year? :fingers-crossed-emo Just wondering cause if you do, I would LOVE to let him sit on my shoulder as I walk around Don's "Campground"!! Got a couple hotshots that I hear might show up that I would LOVE to give the bird to:big-grin-emoticon: (probably heard that a few times while hanging out with the Captain):missingtooth:

Seriously Lefty, he is gorgeous!

For those of you who run across this thread searching for a fuel pump solution, continue searching until you find the thread about replacing the points. IIRC, they are about $30 and easy to change. Every pump failure I have seen discussed (that was fully diagnosed), the problem was the points.

It is easy to check the points. Just peel back the rubber cover on the end of the pump. Look at the points. If they are burned or pitted, you need to replace them.

RR

For those of you who run across this thread searching for a fuel pump solution, continue searching until you find the thread about replacing the points. IIRC, they are about $30 and easy to change. Every pump failure I have seen discussed (that was fully diagnosed), the problem was the points.

It is easy to check the points. Just peel back the rubber cover on the end of the pump. Look at the points. If they are burned or pitted, you need to replace them.

RR

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/second-generation-venture-tech-talk/88602-fuel-pump-issues.html

Thanks Raider58 for all the options.

And Chaharley...

Yep that green menace is named Capt. Ike. I've been plagued with him for over 15 years now. And yes I take him on the bike. I have a backpack/birdcage where he rides. He loves the noise and wind!

Thats so cool that you take him on the bike with you! I have to say that a whole new chapter of my life opened up once I found out how fantastic birds can be. They really do know that they're in charge though dont they! Ernicio loves going for rides in the pickup too, He just gets a kick out of the whole situation! When my pets are all gone, I'm going to invest in a single, larger bird for myself. Something that'll be like bringing around my 5 year old child with me!

What kind of bird is he?

Ike is a great little friend, and a bonafide rabble rousin' PITA! He has seen me through many tough phases of life, mainly mid life crisis, lol. Takes it all in stride.

He is a Lilac Crowned Amazon. Not much for talking, but very gentle and polite as parrots go.

Never had a parrot before, and of course he will outlive me as long as I keep up my end of the deal.

So what kind of bird is Ernicio? Love that name.

Ike is a great little friend, and a bonafide rabble rousin' PITA! He has seen me through many tough phases of life, mainly mid life crisis, lol. Takes it all in stride.

He is a Lilac Crowned Amazon. Not much for talking, but very gentle and polite as parrots go.

Never had a parrot before, and of course he will outlive me as long as I keep up my end of the deal.

So what kind of bird is Ernicio? Love that name.

Hes just a basic run of the mill cockatiel. I'll get a few pictures up latter. He'll live to be about 15 but he is definitely my buddy. He loves having his chin scratched and every morning he likes to greet the world with the Addams family theme song. Just yesterday I got him a friend. Another little cockatiel and I don't know what to name her. I was thinking Roberta so I can have Bert and Ernie :D

well there you go. You just named her.

And since my name is Bert, and since I've been getting ribbed about "Hey Bert, where's Ernie" all my life, You make me wish Ike's name was Ernie!

These days, just about everybody in our riding club calls my fiancee Susan "Ernie". She loves it.

well there you go. You just named her.

And since my name is Bert, and since I've been getting ribbed about "Hey Bert, where's Ernie" all my life, You make me wish Ike's name was Ernie!

These days, just about everybody in our riding club calls my fiancee Susan "Ernie". She loves it.

Its when you get the playful nicknames that you KNOW you fit right in! Congratulations on her being your Fiance By the way! I hope you guys have many happy years and MANY happy miles!