IGNORED

Frame up build what would you change or upgrade?

Hello all, I have made a few posts and as a few who have read them might know I am new to the venture following. I am strongly mechanically inclined and am attempting a budget rebuild of a 1985 Venture royal from bare frame up. I am asking in this thread all of you for any suggestions, opinions, and or thoughts of what you might change or upgrade on your first generation ventures if you have the opportunity to do it your way. Having never rode one before I am not able to judge this myself so I ask those that know these bike better than I. My bike is torn down and I have cleaned it up and fresh paint and now starting the rebuild. I am painting the bike synergy green from the 2010 camaro ss and blacking out what I can but trying to allow it to be still tasteful. I have taken the advice of a well respected member and am upgrading my transmission to the second generation gear and fork set as well as using a vmax final drive to give me the gear range I desire. I am on a budget and will be using what is good and rebuilding or replacing what needs work but am not afraid to spend where needed. I am open to all suggestions whether a large job or not, and I will be really paying attention to items that are repeatedly mentioned. Everything from cosmetic to fit and function will be considered. Please have at it and do not hold back, basically a resurrected gen 1 built venturerider.org style. Thanks to all who contribute and I will collect pics during the process and post them in a thread at a later date.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Brenner!

I would get a new windshield (the are usually quite scratched and/or opaque), fit heated grips (Oxford Adventure type), do the starter mod (better earth inside the motor), service the final drive (lubricating and changin oil), replace the plastic bushings in the suspension linkage to bushings made of bearing bronze, fit a new IgniTech TCI together with a new vacuum sensor, service/replace all chassis bearings (wheels, swing arm etc), fit a resistor to the battery-acidlevel-sensor (stops the warning lamp from blinking), replace forksealings (AllBalls are good) and fit rubber gaitors, fit new brake seals (both master and slave) and pads. That's the first fixes that comes to my mind.

Besides from that do the ordinary stuff as change all fluids, fit new tires, clean&adjust the carbs, change fuel filter, fit new sparkplugs (Iridium).

I have two XVZ1200 from 1984 and try to maintain the in a good working order. Good luck and merry X-mas!

replace glass fuse block with spade type

progressive springs in the front

stainless brake lines and speed bleeders

delink brakes (personal preferance thing)

super brace (I would recommend the "condor brace" if still available)

solid motor mounts

add air horns, running lights, more lights at rear

convert lights to led..means jumpering the cpu to eliminate warning light

4 gu.battery cables or better yet, a 2nd gen 4 brush starter ( using this 2nd gen part shouldn't slow the bike down:whistling:)

I am doing a frame up on my '84 and some of the highlights...

Replaced front end assy with MK2 forks and brakes.

Replaced rear brake with MK2.

Replaced every bearing on the bike.

Installed progressive springs in front shocks, progressive shock in rear.

Stainless steel lines for brakes and clutch.

In process...

Complete engine rebuild with VMax heads, 1300 block, and V boost.

Coat gas tank.

There are several more mods I have done such as MK2 rear passenger floorboards and aftermarket floorboards for me and many many more minor mods. Word of warning, you will NEVER get your money out of what you invest, but the bike will be what YOU want it to be. I may finally trike mine when all is said and done but that remains to be seen yet...

A little depressed today but I will get over it. I followed a lead from a friend and met another venture owner today. I was invited in to this owners garage and noted he owned two 84 ventures both two tone red. One bike like showroom new, it showed the pride of ownership. The second, well it was his first venture and it was disassembled and sadly it still looked nicer than what I am starting out with. The depressing part is the dismantled bike was dismantled by his neighbour who did this to try to figure out problems on his personal bike I am told. I am not sure of the neighbours capabilities but I question them once I noted the state of this bike. So we are in negotiations on price of this dismantled bike as I am trying to get a parts bike to furnish parts that I am in need of. He is unsure of what few parts he wants to keep in case he has a problem with his good bike down the road. Time will tell I suppose... Another note of interest is that I received notification today that my second gen transmission and vmax final drive are on there way and I should have them by the end of the week. I am moving forward but the more I look into this project the more I want to try to perfect it. I have a feeling it will snowball and the bike will end up being much nicer than I originally planned. The nicer parts I can find the nicer the project will turn out... I am aware I most likely will not be able to recoup my investment in this project but I do not build for financial gain, I build for confidence in my ride and reliability and pride of doing it myself. Thanks guys please anyone else feel free to comment or give advice.

One thing that I forgot to tell you on the V-Max final drive swap is when I got mine from one of our members, he also included a new dust shield that was still in the plastic wrapper. This is the dust shield that attaches to the wheel. I am not sure if this shield is what originally came from the V-Max or what, but it worked.

Maybe another member can chime in and give us an update. I used to have the wrapper that had the Yamaha part number on it, but I have no idea where it may be now.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hello all, I have made a few posts and as a few who have read them might know I am new to the venture following. I am strongly mechanically inclined and am attempting a budget rebuild of a 1985 Venture royal from bare frame up.

You sound like me, not into throwing a wad of cash into something that don't need it. In my 40 yrs of wrenching bikes the one thing I learned is keep it stock for the lowest overall cost, serviceability and resale value. Starting with a complete bike is nice, doo-dads and pieces-parts can nickel and dime you to death. As to what I'd do in your position, swap out anything made of rubber such as seals and gaskets and inspect things as you do it. "This is a better way" only really pays off when there's a known issue and a well documented fix, far too many people throw crap out there just to prove they know something in the name of "help"

Nickel and diming, lol... How right you are! It's the little things that grow to be the most expense. Today's job was to rebuild the front forks but I have been put on hold. A member of this forum has messaged me and mentioned the fork upgrade and mentioned they had one available. Since I am at this stage and it was mentioned in other threads as a possible upgrade I am waiting to see what this will cost me. If I can afford it for this project I will consider it, if not then it is what it is. So since I decided to wait and explore that avenue I decided to tear my engine down in the mean time. Well it is noted that my stator even though has the cooling upgrade show signs of heat and I have decided I am going to replace it because in my opinion it could fail on my upcoming trip. As mentioned above I am not replacing every seal, part, etc, but rather replacing what is needed or upgraded for a specific reason such as improved handling, reliability, or to make more comfortable for myself. I am not out to impress anyone but rather use the knowledge of the collected community to have a respectable ride. Please anyone who thinks they may have a recommendation or could note an upgrade or advice on an option that I might benefit from, speak up as I will honestly listen and consider it. I am not too worried about resale value and know my modifications will reflect in the final value. My main concern is it will perform well for me and that I will be able to depend on it. I do not believe that investing time and money in a bike of this age is for financial gain, even with my Harley, it is for the love of the sport and pride of ownership. Anyone can walk into a dealership and buy a bike...... I look forward to your thoughts.

Yup, upgrading the front suspension to accommodate better brakes is one of the smartest things to do!! You will be well served to go to stainless steel brake lines as well! Hooking up the antidive is fairly easy, just use the yellow (brake) wire to energize the relay and feed 12 volts to the solenoids...

While it is apart I would replace the hoses, by-pass valve and water pump.Starter, ground and fuse block. Ignatech TCI. Close inspection of all the wire harness connectors or replace. Test all the coils and replace as need be. Inspect and repair (re-solder) the dash display contraption. If you are going to progressive springs you can pull out the air ride, otherwise it will need attention.

I am checking in as I have been away a few days. Thanks for the replies. I am trying to note the difference between the MKI and MKII forks. I understand the anti dive valve is hydraulic on MKI and electric on MKII but the fork tubes are the same diameter. The only other thing I note is the mounts are different for the calipers. Anyone school me on this? I have acquired a heavy fork brace and am trying to acquire a few more parts before jumping on the wagon with the MKII setup only because I might not have enough pocket change for the R1 brakes etc.. in addition for the swap. My only other decision regarding the front setup is to unlink the brakes or not. I am strongly considering it but want to be sure I know the reason I am upgrading. I have progressive springs on the bike currently and the air was still operational. The forks are my main question as I am unsure if the valving is different in the two setups or if it is mainly a swap for the better brake setup. I do believe it is not that much work for me to change at a later date if need be. I am also trying to locate a reasonable priced 4 brush starter and have contacted a few resources. I understand almost all of what has been recommended and have digested it and am taking an educated approach. I will study some more and poke in and out here before making a decision on that concern. I have a spare tci and have experience rebuilding a yamaha unit as my first rebuild last year ( a virago) required the same attention and I have not had a problem with it since. I am in need of many odds and ends but have decided to go all out or as much as I can funds permitting. This will no longer just be a nice upgraded rider but I am starting to get a little fussy and going to try to make it a shining example of what can be done with determination and patience. I did it before and I will try to do it again. Thanks for the support and again any comments or recommendations are welcomed.

Randy I had that one on my watch list as soon as it came on. I did not act on it yet as it states free shipping in the listing but it shows a $20 charge for shipping. I have tried to contact the seller asking if he will honor the free shipping and correct the listing. Thanks for helping it is appreciated. To all the collective whole who have educated me you have twisted my rubber arm. I am currently trying to locate the R1 calipers and necessary parts for the brake conversion. I am looking for stainless lines and will run the current master and keep the system linked until I am able to go further in the project. I believe I will try to keep the antidive if I can to reduce the load on the electrical system and upgrade my master when I find one that will work at a low cost. I intend to upgrade the rear as well and wanted to ask if the R1 or R6 has a caliper that will fit a rear venture application or not. If I need use the MKII setup and fabricate a bushing so be it. I have been using the search function so as to not to ask questions already answered over and over. I am also trying to find a MKII chin fairing at reasonable cost to give the look I want to achieve. I am no stranger to ebay and lately I have spent way too much time searching the listings.

I am also trying to find a MKII chin fairing at reasonable cost to give the look I want to achieve. I am no stranger to ebay and lately I have spent way too much time searching the listings.

I have an MKII chin fairing somewhere that I bought to put on my 83, but ended up doing the open thing with the bikini side panels. I will see if I can find it and get back with you.

RandyA

I believe I will try to keep the antidive if I can to reduce the load on the electrical system ...

Are you saying that you are going to retain the MKI forks because you don't want to use the electric MKII anti-dive? And you want to use R1 calipers on the MKI forks? R1/R6 calipers will not bolt up to MKI forks. I'm not saying that it can't be done (R1/R6 calipers on MKI forks) but it will require a fair amount of fabrication. I fear it would be very difficult to adapt the MKI hydraulic anti-dive to the MKII forks, although, frankly I've never seen such a conversion.

Randy please let me know if you do come across the fairing and price etc.. and by the way I did receive a response form the starter seller and it is on it's way to me. bongobob thank you for the assistance but I do not know which is easier, as I do have a US mailing address in Niagara Falls NY that I use for my ebay purchases at 14305. I am an ebay junkie and have been for many years. I am not turning down assistance but I have always tried to attempt things myself and not burden others when I don't have to. This community is outstanding as I have been apart of few communities, Aztek, Harley, Virago, now this one but I have never had any so friendly and willing to help. I take it as a sign of making the right choice on choosing the right bike for this project ( it was almost a fxrt project). Wizard thank you for educating me in the difference in the bars for the MKI and MKII as I did not know the difference and look forward to noting the difference and either replacing the bars or fabricating brackets that won't be noticed once installed. As far as the installation of the R1/R6 caliper upgrade well I do believe I will be running the MKII front end with a heavy brace as I want it to look like it fits properly. The anti dive concern is an area that I will look in to. I do not know how this will come down as I do not know what the MKII mounting looks like. I would like to keep the electrical draw of the system while in use but may not have that option. I understand I may not need it due to running progressive springs but I do not want no ugly block off plates. Please remember I have never rode this model bike before and my only experience on a touring size bike was test riding a 2014 Harley switchback 103 on demo days. I only know the common inadequacies due to this forum and internet searches. I want to like this bike and I know I will like it even more because I resurrected it from ground up and upgraded it to current standards. I felt the same way about my virago, as I resurrected it after it sat for 24 years I made a few visual and non visual, performance mods and I was really happy with the bike but at 6'2" my back is complaining after 3 hours of being in the saddle. Getting back to my point, I do not know how everything fits together and only have online pics to go by but I place my trust in this friendly and educated forum and use it's experience to guide me on my decisions. I will not know how one upgrade fits to another until it is physically in front of me and at that point I will be able to comment and advise others of my experience. Every forum I have joined I have always been one to jump in further into a project "all at one time" than most of the members communicating with me. Maybe it is due to my mechanical skills or "Let's do it!" attitude but I can honestly say without the support the challenges are daunting. Please feel free to continue educating me as it does not fall on deaf ears. As mentioned before ANY and ALL suggestions, recommendations, and comments are considered and welcomed. I appreciate the assistance and I hope we can all agree this build is "venturerider" style, without this forum it would just be a stock bike being cleaned up.

No problem Brenner, Niagara Falls is closer than I am anyway!

As far as the anti dives go, well they have been working just fine on MK2's for over 25 years now without killing batteries, the current draw is only when the brakes are applied, and one would think Yamaha knew what they were doing when they designed the system! You can also just not hook them up electrically but then you would not have any anti dive...

Today was educational and a bit of a let down. I met another forum member to purchase a MKII fork setup and learned that the springs I have may not be progressive springs. Much to my disappointment once tearing down the MKII forks at home I found out the springs were the same as what I currently have and thought previously to be progressive. Oh well live and learn and add another item to my list of wants. On a positive note after tearing down the MKII forks I noted the wear on the inner components and that my original components show little to no wear so I am taking this as a sign that maybe my project bike has low mileage. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Since I am on the topic of MKII forks, does anyone know the difference in the front axle between the MKI and MKII front ends? They have different part numbers and I assume that there is a different length if anything due to MKI having two pinch bolts with a nut and MKII having one pinch bolt with no nut on the axle end. My project cost is really starting to add up and I have more invested than what a used bike would of cost me online but who knows what a bike like that may have needed? At least this way with this project the result will be that I know what I will have in the end. I am finding that meeting and or talking with the fellow forum members outside the forum is very positive and the community is unlike any I have seen before. I find it promising and am sure it will take me a little bit to get used to, not that this is a negative thing. Hopefully Monday the remaining items I am waiting for will arrive at my mail box so I may start to move forward with this project again. I have to learn to grab a few pics so I have something to show those who might have interest as it is starting to look like a bike again. I will try to update as it comes along. I will call it a night as my thoughts are scattered on this project so I will try to collect them for a proper posting. Any and all comments or recommendations are always welcome as sometimes it is hard to see the forest through the trees.

HI Brenner.Well I am in Mississauga.I am rebuilding and repairing an 86. I went to Que to pic up a cheap identical donor bike.It was the best thing I could have done.It was cheaper to do this then order all the parts I needed from Ebay.If you are doing a completed rebuild the guys on this page are putting you in the right direction.Just use common sense when you rebuild.There are lots of us in your area that could help you if needed. Cheers and good luck.