IGNORED

What do I look for to see if the 2 nd gear issue was repaired?

83 VR

So im doing some work that required me to split the case. But I see that the PO had already split the case for whatever reason. I was wondering what do I need to see to determine that the 2nd gear issue was repaired? I've got 55000 miles on the bike with no gear issues right now.

Also, I understand that I could buy another years transmission and be done with transmission issues all together. What years would that be? Could I get a trans. from a 1300 that would fit or do I HAVE to undercut/ buy parts for my 1200.

You can either compress the big spring and pull the thrust washers out and see what they look like, and if they are the normal MKI washers, they will most likely have a groove worn in them or you could pick up an MKII trans or even a 2nd gen RSV trans.

If you pull the thrust washers out and they are not worn, I suspect strongly the trans has been updated with harder thrust washers, or an MKII trans has already been installed.

RandyA

You can either compress the big spring and pull the thrust washers out and see what they look like, and if they are the normal MKI washers, they will most likely have a groove worn in them or you could pick up an MKII trans or even a 2nd gen RSV trans.

If you pull the thrust washers out and they are not worn, I suspect strongly the trans has been updated with harder thrust washers, or an MKII trans has already been installed.

RandyA

Attached picture shows where dealers were to mark motor block if the thrust washer had been replaced under warranty. They were to put a punch mark on middle gear housing, shown in picture with red arrow pointing to it.

Gary

Both of you thanks for the response...

I found several things not done right.....i found a middle drive gear outer bearing shim was only partly in its correct position, about 1/2" of it was folded back on itself and pinched in the case halves.

And I found the 2 circlips on the transmission were comprised of only 1/2 a circle.. Maybe they lost one and then cut the other in half putting 1/2 on each end bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for ya on those circlips....I have a '67 GTX that had worn out outer rear axle bearings. Now these bearing aren't ROLLER or BALL, they are just hardened steel... When I got in there I found the PO had "shimmed" the bearings with a cut up Coca-Cola can....