IGNORED

How do you jack up your Gen 1s?

As the title says, how do you jack up your Gen 1 Ventures? I was thinking about getting a jack but without lifting adapters I would not be able to jack up the bike without jacking on the exhaust pipes. I've read extensively about the Gen 2 adapters but I haven't seen anything on Gen 1 adapters. Or do we just have to lie down on the floor to work on it? Or use a table lift?

I was thinking of getting the Harbor Freight High Lift jack like the one Cowpuc used in his May 6, 2014 post photos. But Puc jacked Tweeks up under the exhaust pipes without using an adapter. I don't want to do that.

Looks like I will have to see if I can make adapters. A table would be great but it wouldn't help much when removing wheels.

When I had a Kawasaki Concours, I bought an eight feet long 2"x 10" and cut it into 3 pieces. I could ride up on it and then remove the front and rear pieces leaving it on the center stand. If I can get it on the center stand on a 2x4 that would do the same job with less boards.

I bought Harbor Freight's table lift. best $300.00 I ever spent on tools. Problem: getting it on the stand when it's on the table. The table isn't wide enough for the footing necessary to get the bike up on the center stand. So I got a screw lift made for bikes with adapters to lift on the frame, there is ONE spot this works but it is a little dicey but with some CUSTOM brackets it would be better. The rear tire area has a trap door you can remove to get the tire off, it'll go through the opening onto the rack and out. I got the jack screw lift so I can get the bike UP by myself, and btw the sweet spot is next to the center stand soooo....

Get the front tire M/C stand at HF, I have a #69026 and a #61670, I like the #61670 because it has outriggers I use with tie downs to MAKE SURE that 754lbs. bike doesn't fall. HF has 2 other stands that look identical to these I listed (the others are #60392 and #97841). I don't know what the differences beyween them are.

RIGHT now i have a internet coupon for 25% off any item at HF, NOW would be a great time to get that lift! it goes on sale for $300.00 all the time, if this coupon is good for that price that's a killer deal. Tip a little whining and they will honor the coupon for "Customer satisfaction" If you buy this thing beware it's HEAVEY. I took mine off my truck alone ONE piece at a time andf I still had to lever the major assembly down off the truck.

Like most, I jack up my First Gen with jack lifting on the exhaust system. I haven't got a problem with doing that; the contact point is pretty robust there. Where I do have a problem is locating the jack, so that when lifting the bike is balanced on the jack. Ideally, I would have the Venture on its center stand before attempting to lift it with the jack. However, the center stand is actually right where I have found the balance point for a stable lift and with the center stand deployed, the jack cannot be located in the ideal balancing position. Placing the bike on the side stand allows for optimal balanced lifting, but jacking the bike while it is on the side stand is a nerve racking endeavor. One must balance the bike on two wheels, sans the stability of the side stand and proceed to jack the bike simultaneously. It is not for the faint of heart when in a solo situation.

It is actually quite easy to get it on the 2 x 4. I put it on the center stand then place the 2 x 4 in front of the stand rock the bike to one side to kick that end of the board underneath then rock it the other way and kick the other end under and we are good to go. I have had both wheels off this way using some blocks to hold the front up by the front crossbar. I have been able to both front and rear end work tire work on and off the bike seal replacement shaft and final drive etc. Bike doesn't move the only drawback is it is getting harder to get up off the concrete floor. So if you haven't got the idea yet spend the money for a Harbor Fright or similar jack. But the center stand will do until you can get one.

I just used the center stand and when I needed more height I would put a 2x4 under it.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

But I used a 2x6 .... just seems more solid to me.

If you need to take the front wheel off then you just put a small floor jack with a block of wood between it and the frame and lift it slightly.

I've never had to jack up the whole bike at one time. I use the center stand and brace it with a cinch strap so it can't kick back, then take off the front wheel and jack up the back end making the bike kneel on the fork ends, this gets the back end up enough for my service access needs. For raising the front, I empty the rear shock air and even let air out of the tire, then put a jack under the engine case to raise the front wheel and forks off the floor. For added bracing, side straps can improve stability. I haven't needed to do this much over the 20+ years of wrenching on my Ventures.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Buy the HF platform lift. Here is a photo of mine being used as a work platform to rewire a HF trailer. Rises to 30" off the floor, so it is at a good height to use as a workbench. Best $300 I ever spent. As was mentioned before, there is a plate that removes from the floor to allow the rear wheel to be removed from the bike.

Abduls' Trailer 004.jpg

Jim

Buy the HF platform lift. Here is a photo of mine being used as a work platform to rewire a HF trailer. Rises to 30" off the floor, so it is at a good height to use as a workbench. Best $300 I ever spent. As was mentioned before, there is a plate that removes from the floor to allow the rear wheel to be removed from the bike.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95824[/ATTACH]

Jim

Your garage is carpeted?

That looks like better carpet than I have in my living room.

I've never had to jack up the whole bike at one time. I use the center stand and brace it with a cinch strap so it can't kick back, then take off the front wheel and jack up the back end making the bike kneel on the fork ends, this gets the back end up enough for my service access needs. For raising the front, I empty the rear shock air and even let air out of the tire, then put a jack under the engine case to raise the front wheel and forks off the floor. For added bracing, side straps can improve stability. I haven't needed to do this much over the 20+ years of wrenching on my Ventures.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

That's how I'm working on my rear end. Got the idea right here and it works!!

IMG_20141213_164909_773.jpg

Yes he has carpeting down where he works on the bike, and I do too! Makes it a lot better on the old body to lay on instead of a cold concrete floor especially in the winter...

I use cardboad cut from big boxes, a few layers thick and I can't feel the concrete anymore. When contaminated with oil and dirt, it gets replaced with new. Constant supply of cardboard coming in from purchases.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling