I have not seen any threads on this so I will ask. I have an 88 yvr that has water leaking into the trunk every time it rains. I cannot find where it is coming in. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so , how do I stop it? Thanks so much for any and all help I can get on this problem.

Howard,

If you have a trunk rack mounted, check that there are waterproof gaskets, usually rubber washers, under each mounting foot of the rack.

Open the trunk and check all fasteners that penetrate the trunk for missing nuts, for loose fasteners and for signs of water entry around the fasteners.

Check for cracks in the trunk lid and trunk base. Water will enter through those cracks.

The lid to base meeting rail is a tongue and groove affair. In the groove (the groove is on the base) there should be a flexible plastic or rubber seal upon which the tongue on the lid meeting rail rests when the trunk lid is closed. It is fairly common for this seal to become permanently deformed to the detriment of its original water proof performance. Is the trunk lid loose when closed and latched? In addition to the worn out meeting rail seal, if the trunk latch is maladjusted, the lid may not fit tight enough to prevent water entry.

Some have used 'screen spline' from a home center to replace the worn out meeting rail seal, although it may be difficult to find small enough spline to fit the trunk groove. You may also try removing the old seal and reinstalling it, but upside down from its original orientation. Perhaps a small diameter string in the groove before reinstalling the seal may help to shim the seal.

Good luck and let us know how you fixed the problem.

There is a NOS trunk seal on eBay currently. I think it is a bit pricey, but ....

Travel Trunk Lid Saddlebag Seal 54K 2847F 00 XVZ12 XVZ13 1983 1993 | eBayTrunk seal 1b.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

Instead of waiting for rain, I suggest that you use a garden hose at a low, low pressure and volume and check the seal when the lid is shut. Keep the water from any other penetrations in the lid, just checking the meeting rail seal. If it checks out good, then run (dribble) at each trunk penetration individually, check for internal moisture, dribble some water at the next penetration, check for internal moisture, etc. etc.

If you douse the entire lid and trunk base and get moisture inside, you can't know where the leak is.

Reversing the old seal MAY be all it takes, but then again that may not be enough to get a good seal. It may require replacement with new, replacement with screen spline or...?