IGNORED

Seeking 1983-1993 VIN for a comprehensive database

Cliff, your "Yamaha Product Manual" is incorrect, at least for the First Generation Ventures.

For instance, the 1983 XVZ12TK has a starting number of "000101". I have many actual Ventures in my database with serial numbers before the stated "000286". Same for the 1983 XVZ12TDK; starting serial number is "000101".

Other Yamaha documentation confirms the "000101" starting number for those and many other years. The various Yamaha Service Manuals show beginning serial numbers for different years/models. I have copies of the official "Yamaha Model Index 1958-2010", Yamaha document number 1JMC0-0MDL1, and the "000101" starting serial number for the 1983 is confirmed.

I would be interested in perusing the Yamaha Product Manual that you cited. Do you have a digital copy of this manual you could send to me? Thanks.

Untitled.jpg

Thank you, Cliff.

Despite being published by Yamaha Motors, the information is faulty. Even the color of the "black" 1983 XVZ12TK is incorrect when described as "New Yamaha Black". Correctly, the color of the black 1983 Standard is "Sparkle Crimson Black", Yamaha color code 00AY.

Another error is in the Literature numbers; I have a XVZ12TK owner's manual and it is "LIT-11626-03-36", not "LIT-11626-03-35" as stated. It appears they transposed XVZ12TK and XVZ12TDK numbers.

Six errors in just two entries in that book doesn't strike me as a highly credible book.

Here is photographic proof of the existence of "000101" serial number in a 1983 Venture Royale:

GaryS GS551 VRO.jpg

Six errors in just two entries in that book doesn't strike me as a highly credible book

I no longer have access to the dealer network so I can't access their publications. I never ran across the 2010 publication you referenced in any of my searches there, not sure why but I would guess because it was published in Japan rather than the US.

I do know that there are some manuals not available in digital format on their site. It could be that whoever was in charge of putting that publication together didn't have access to all the documentation on a bike that was built 25 years previously. As far as later years go it was a highly credible source of information, along with their pub on ATV/SxS vehicles. Having pictures and info helped me out personally when things came into the shop missing all or portions of identifying numbers.

Thanks for pointing out the 2010 pub. I found it on Scribd and now have it in my collection.

Thank you, Glen. Canadian Standards are infrequently contributed to the database. I appreciate it.

Because the Canadian Ventures sometimes did not share the US colors of respective years, could you elaborate about the color of your Venture?

Orion Blue I think they called it.

photo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had my landlord call me about a venture that he was hauling for a friend, went in and found a very nice 83 Royale, slightly burned around the rear brake!

VIN JYA31M002DA003575 build 4/83

Offered to take it of their hands for 500, but he wanted too much more, will sit in a shed and rot!

And from the bike that most thought did not exist.

My 88 standard.

I'll have you know that I had to create a clean spot to get that pic............

I sure hope I did not clean off any of the dirt that was holding the bike together.............

20160627_164952[1].jpg

And from the bike that most thought did not exist.

My 88 standard.

I'll have you know that I had to create a clean spot to get that pic............

I sure hope I did not clean off any of the dirt that was holding the bike together.............

Congratulations, 'Fool! You finally made the database after how many years of my inquiry? Thank you.

Another congratulations is in order as well: your 1988 CALIFORNIA Standard is the first in my database. Yes, it is a California spec Venture, XVZ13UC ! Did you know that?

Congratulations, 'Fool! You finally made the database after how many years of my inquiry? Thank you.

Another congratulations is in order as well: your 1988 CALIFORNIA Standard is the first in my database. Yes, it is a California spec Venture, XVZ13UC ! Did you know that?

That explains why it's so greasy..... :whistling:

Unfortunately I do know that it is California, all that emissions crap is always in my way and I am not sure how to get rid of it properly. I'll bet it don't even work anymore. I did not know it was Cali when I bought it, I found out the first time I went to sync the carbs, and have been pissing and moaning about it ever since. There are vacuum lines everywhere and canisters and crap and it is all in the way..............

Unfortunately I do know that it is California, all that emissions crap is always in my way and I am not sure how to get rid of it properly. I'll bet it don't even work anymore. I did not know it was Cali when I bought it, I found out the first time I went to sync the carbs, and have been pissing and moaning about it ever since. There are vacuum lines everywhere and canisters and crap and it is all in the way..............

I too have a California Venture. The charcoal canister was already removed when I got the bike. A winter ago, when I had all the plastic off, I cleaned up the remaining emissions apparatus, by removing the air control solenoid valve and rerouting the carb bowl vents and the fuel tank vent to essentially match a non-California Venture. And I simply removed the vacuum line from the number two carb body and capped the spigot.

A bike from CA. what a nightmare!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Prairiehammer, hope you are well.

I picked up a Donor-cycle today and thought you might want to add it to the Database.

Model Year: 1986

Original Color: unknown (all plastic bits are long gone)

Date of Manufacture: 11/85

VIN: JYA1NL003GA000954

Valid Arizona Title....But I will be salvaging the bike to use the remaining parts on my other Ventures.

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5653-1.jpg