IGNORED

Prices on rear shock

If Hagon lists the shock as being suitable for a Venture, It "should" be capable of at least handing the Yamaha Maximum load listed in the OM. For an RSTD the Max Load is listed as 443 lbs. Not sure what it is for the Venture, but asking for a Shock rated to 500 lbs load capacity (plus what the "sprung" portion of the bike itself weighs) doesn't seem like asking a lot in terms of up rating it. I'm curious if you ask them for a shock rated to 450 lbs what their repsonse is? To be a suitable replacement it should be rated for at least that in my opinion.

RSTDdog

Why don't you call them and tell them you want a shock for an RSV rated for 450 lbs and see what they say. When I spoke to them they did not seem to want to push the manufacturer and get a max weight.

Hmmm I'm wondering if Hagon can supply a progressive spring with that shock. One of the best upgrades to a Road Star is a progressive. The stock non-progressive is about a 750lb spring but the progressive has a range from about 800lbs to 1250lbs. Progressive meaning that it gets stiffer the more it's compressed.

When I need a shock I'll be looking into Hagon.

OK so Ive had the Hagon shock on for almost 2 weeks and about 600 miles. I could not be happier, I did some preload adjustment and man what a ride. Next month I leave Las Vegas and head up to Canada then east to Sturgis. Looking at about 4000 miles in 12 days. I am super excited about this trip and now that I have a good shock it should be a great ride.

OK so Ive had the Hagon shock on for almost 2 weeks and about 600 miles. I could not be happier, I did some preload adjustment and man what a ride. Next month I leave Las Vegas and head up to Canada then east to Sturgis. Looking at about 4000 miles in 12 days. I am super excited about this trip and now that I have a good shock it should be a great ride.

What part of Canada are you headed too? We have quite a good sized group up here that can scare up a donut, ice cream and coffee once in a while if youre interested, just post where youre at and if someone is in the area they can meet you. (some of us scare up those Tim's donuts too often apparently....lol)

Enjoy the trip!!

Brian

What part of Canada are you headed too? We have quite a good sized group up here that can scare up a donut, ice cream and coffee once in a while if youre interested, just post where youre at and if someone is in the area they can meet you. (some of us scare up those Tim's donuts too often apparently....lol)

Enjoy the trip!!

Brian

Looking at hitting Kelowna on or around the 31st of July, Calgary on the 1st and Regina around the 3rd. Then shooting down to Sturgis on the 4th through 7th. All my plans are tennative and subject to change at any time LOL but then again isnt flexibility the biggest part of riding.

I may still be on vacation making my way home from Cody WY thru Kelowna as well and take the Transcanada highway home so we will probably be on the same highway same time. My Cell is listed, if I dont answer, leave a message and Ill get back to you. If we can meet up along the road, if you guys would like another tagalong I would be happy to ride with you.

If I am home in Regina mabbe we can grab a coffee and an ice cream. I have a long sofa and a fold out if you want a break from a hotel room fo a night.

My numbers are in my profile or send me a msg in here and Ill get it and see what we can set up.

While around Calgary there are some good rides as youre only a short ride to Banff , the Rockies, and the Cowboy highway running north south along the foothills is supposed to be a great ride too

Brian

• 1 year later...

I weigh 360 pounds and stand 6' 5". I needed a shock I could rely on so the OEM was out.

I went with Hagon Heavy Duty. It was $469 which included shipping. No sales tax for Illinois online orders.

Christina at HAGON USA http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagMono.htm was very helpful.

You have to call Hagon to order. No online orders available. They were out of stock so I had to wait a week before they shipped to me.

I had Cycle Craft (http://www.cycle-craft.com) Yamaha in Woodstock Illinois install the shock. It was the middle of July and I got the bike back in two days. Install was $123.

Rides great. Thought I may have to adjust the dampening but as I ride it seems to be smoothing out.

I weigh 360 pounds and stand 6' 5". I needed a shock I could rely on so the OEM was out.

I went with Hagon Heavy Duty. It was $469 which included shipping. No sales tax for Illinois online orders.

Christina at HAGON USA http://www.hagonshocksusa.com/HagMono.htm was very helpful.

You have to call Hagon to order. No online orders available. They were out of stock so I had to wait a week before they shipped to me.

I had Cycle Craft (http://www.cycle-craft.com) Yamaha in Woodstock Illinois install the shock. It was the middle of July and I got the bike back in two days. Install was $123.

Rides great. Thought I may have to adjust the dampening but as I ride it seems to be smoothing out.

Thanks for the info. I'm 6'6" and.... ahem.... around 350# :whistling: Best feedback I've seen so far....:thumbsup2: Got the link saved...

Ever think about buying a used shock? I saw one on a popular auction site the other day off an 05 RSTD for $89. From a reputable seller. I could sure put several of those on for the price of a new aftermarket shock.

Just my .02

Depends how many miles it has on it. Less than 10,000 it may be worth a try. My 06 shock failed at 22k. Leaking oil, still held air. Many other shocks here reported failing in the 30-50K mark. Others failed internally - no oil leak, hold air but no longer dampen (pogo). Used is good if you get a good one.

• 7 years later...
Does anyone have the point to point measurements on the rear shock for a 2005 RSTD. I am trying to see if I can find a cheap shock to replace the old one anyone have any suggestion?

You would be the first of many that have searched.

I don’t have any used at the moment, but I know a member that does have.

send me a email at the address below.

Does anyone have the point to point measurements on the rear shock for a 2005 RSTD. I am trying to see if I can find a cheap shock to replace the old one anyone have any suggestion?

In a post earlier today I indicated that I could repair your shock. Check out this post to see how I make the repair: https://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?searchid=9411660

I have repaired about 25 shocks to date with good success.