IGNORED

2006 RSTD gas tank

Hey guys....just got an 06 RSTD and love it so far. There are a few things that I would like to fix/change/add/improve...but one thing at a time.

The gas tank has a couple dents in it (right at the place where the tank meets the seat) and I haven't decided what to do about it. Maybe just live with it....not a problem that stops me from riding the bike....strictly cosmetic.

Where can I start looking for a new or used tank? What years and models will interchange with my tank so I am not limited to one spec tank???

Is there a tank cover that will cover the dents?

Or should I just remove the tank and attempt the repair? How hard/dangerous is it to work on a gas tank? What are the steps for properly removing the evidence of gas so as to have a safe tank to work on?

Thanks

All of the RSTD tanks will interchange after the restart of production, in around 2003 or so, up to current. Lower tank cover will cover most of the dent, Tank bib may help too. Pinwall cycles or ebay will be a good source for parts. Best of luck and happy trails.

Bill

Thanks guys....I have found a couple as an option, waiting to get a response to know if can purchase one of them. But seriously thinking about pulling the existing tank this winter and repairing it. Part of my thinking now for repairing it is because a purchased a trunk and want to paint it also...figured if going to do one might as well consider both. Also still like the option of covering it with some sort of cover.

Thanks