IGNORED

Back Brace or Kidney Belt use

djh3

Recently my back has come up with some bad discs. I have worn a back brace on the bike before, but it is long ago lost. So did some reading up on different things available. I have the Utopia backrest, but still I find myself slouching. I looked at kidney belts from FOX, Alpinstars and some others. One of the most interesting posts I read talked about a Back-A-Line brace. Had a couple references to Web Bke World write up and a touring bike mag.

Whats you alls experience and thoughts? These braces run $45-50 Kidney belts are all over the place $25 to $100+ I will say the $25 one looks almost like the elastic and velcro back brace from Wally world.

• 2 months later...

So what did you go with?

Years ago I used to wear a velcro/elastic kidney belt for snowmobiling. I didn't have back problems; it was just that a long day of spirited trail riding would leave you feeling beat up and sore inside, especially when the trails were rough. The kidney belt really helped with this A LOT. Only thing was, when you wear it all day and take it off, you feel wierd for a little while, like you are made of jelly in the middle!

Maybe I'll dust it off before my next all-day ride on the bike and see how it feels.

It must be a Crew Chief thing, I broke my back 10yrs ago and came real close to getting the back a line brace. Mine is my t-12 is almost completely gone, I have lost 3" in my height. I will be riding more this year LORD willing wife retires and we are going to go to the rally, that should be a good long test. I have a Mustang seat and that has improve my quality of riding and also the Mustang back rest feels good and helps me to sit up and straight. I think it is whatever does work best for you, If we ever get together at some event you are welcome to ride mine, take care Jim

Recently my back has come up with some bad discs. I have worn a back brace on the bike before, but it is long ago lost. So did some reading up on different things available. I have the Utopia backrest, but still I find myself slouching. I looked at kidney belts from FOX, Alpinstars and some others. One of the most interesting posts I read talked about a Back-A-Line brace. Had a couple references to Web Bke World write up and a touring bike mag.

Whats you alls experience and thoughts? These braces run $45-50 Kidney belts are all over the place $25 to $100+ I will say the $25 one looks almost like the elastic and velcro back brace from Wally world.

Dion...

what exactly is wrong with your back? Bad discs can mean a variety of possibilities. Let me ask, do you NEED the back brace? Reason being is over time, your back muscles, the extensor a that keep you from slouching, become weak as a result of the brace doing the job. However, as a stabilizer temporarily as you work to strengthen the back, the pain may lessen up. Without really knowing what's the target problem, it's hard to say in my opinion as I do not know anything yet about a back a line brace. But I am going to look into it. In the meanwhile, stretching the hamstrings and lower back may help you to some degree if not done aggressive.

Ok...I was on the official site and here is one of the answers regarding its product and why it "works" :

Since postural “habits” – usually bad – have been part of our spinal mechanics for most of our lives, it’s almost impossible to correct them at the conscious level. It must be corrected at the subconscious – or behavioral – level which is the result of this Bio-feedback. A Harvard Medical School paper found that a “curved and firm surface”, pressed against the spine, was the best way to create this risk-reducing “dynamic”, and the reason why only BAL can use the term.

I disagree with The Harvard paper as it's the BEST method. Here is why, while I DO agree poor posture Times X amount of years you have had poor posture certainly contributes to a bad back. So does poor sleeping, sitting, no stretching or strengthening, poor nutrition. They all contribute to some way shape or form. We CAN over time, consciencly retrain the neuro muscular to improve our posture. While it is not a cure for the already damaged area, it can prevent further damage to the area and subsequent areas surrounding.

Bottom line, can it help?? I would think it most certainly can. But please keep in mind my previous posts of the extensor muscles relying on it, and not pulling their own weight. A good doctor and or physical therapist can give you techniques and strategies to help alleviate your pain to some degree, although results vary from person to person.

I was looking at the brace a bit more prior to our trip to NC. L-5 S-1 is the problem again. Good and bad days. Try to remember to strech exercise prior to getting out of bed. So far the left leg numbness has been gone for 3 months or so. Still have ocasional localized pain, but so far have been able to tuff it out.

I had just remembered from years ago lots of bikers wearing kidney belts and thought a bit of extra support on long trips might help. It did years ago, but then I didnt hqve a seat near as comfortable as I do now.

• 7 years later...

Hit and miss on pain. But last 7-10 days have had back pain and been wearing a back brace, (one of them elastic adjustable jobs by ACE) to work. Surprisingly it has worked well on the bike. My back rest sits a bit to far back and I slouch on the bike. But with the brace it has a pad on it that takes up the space and it fits well and makes me sit more up right. I'm not a big believer in the copper fit thing but hey, for the price I have seen them they could be a choice.

• Thanks 1