I have now had the opportunity to put a few miles on my (new to me) 2006 Venture with 1,500 milles. I am hearing a high pitched whine coming from the engine at higher RPMs or speed (above 50 mph and continuing). I believe it is coming from the engine as the sound disappears when I close the throttle or pull in the clutch lever. Can someone enlighten me as to what I am hearing? Do I have a problem is or is it new owner jitters. Thanks.

Not to Worry, Micko! These beasts have straight cut gears which sometimes will make some Royal Stars a bit Whiney at certain RPMs. This whine is coming from the gear on the clutch basket and if it is too objectionable for some riders, Yammy will usually cure it by replacing the stock basket with an "I" basket. It will not totally cure the whine in all bikes but will change it to another RPM range. Just remember that straight cut gears are much stronger than angled cut but they tend to be a bit noisier. My 03 RSV has very little whine but I've heard some that can be heard when riding along side. Kinda sounds like a NASCAR tranny which also has straight cut gears. They will take a hellava beating! If it's too noisy for your likings, it is a warranty issue and Yammy is usually pretty good in addressing it. Brian

• 6 years later...

HI yES HAVE CHANGED To THE I BASKET for mild improvement

Still not happy

INTESTING FACT when changing out clutch basket it was leaned over and dry of oil????? didn't have to drain nothing HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:detective:

MAIN DRIVE GEAR SITS DRYYYYYY all the time on the side stand HMMMMMMMMM

I Now stand the bike up when home it coats the gears in a bath of oil which flows passively into the clutch chamber=a combo of lucAs OIL 20/50 AND MOTOR kote also lucas oil additive helps with the noise too best yet tried it for a week now well see if its accumulative:cool10:

I TRIED it leaned over on side stand again for two days and WHIiiine was back there isn't enough oil on that gear while driving BUT if it is soaked it sticks which is lucas oil specialty so stand er up pour in your engine kote let it sit for day and 25% quieter try er out boys good luck THERE is in fact a center stand available from Rivco:080402gudl_prv:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=202&page=1

:stirthepot: now for windshield pouches to tone down reflective noise HAS any body tried that?????:080402gudl_prv: