IGNORED

Helpful info in case your Alternator goes out

Eck

Copied from another site but felt it could be helpful information in the event one looses their alternator while out on the road.

Should also work for Ventures or most any bike I would think...

if you loose your Alt and can get to a auto parts store get a battery ( lawn mover battery will work) and some wire, terminals put the battery in your side bag run wires to you battery, pull fuse for headlight, turn off all electrical device and ride all day, if on the road and stop at motel take the battery into motel hook up to a small charger and ride another day.

IF you are riding with a buddy who also has a Goldwing, do this:

Swap batteries. Put his charged battery into your bike with the dead alternator, and put your battery into his working bike. Pull the fuse as above in your bike, start it, then jump his bike (you'll have to have jumper cables of course) to get it running. Now ride. His bike will charge your dead battery. You can ride for hours on his good battery. After a few hours swap batteries again and keep riding. You can do this for days on end - bit of a pain but it'll get you home.

Read this on another forum, posted by someone who had done it.

Joe

(Quote = Mcararl)

Best remember to unhook the bike battery, or else it will drain the extra battery. Maybe better to charge the bike battery, unhook anything not needed and then run all day. Seems easier to me anyways.

Swap batteries. Put his charged battery into your bike with the dead alternator, and put your battery into his working bike. Pull the fuse as above in your bike, start it, then jump his bike (you'll have to have jumper cables of course) to get it running. Now ride. His bike will charge your dead battery. You can ride for hours on his good battery. After a few hours swap batteries again and keep riding. You can do this for days on end - bit of a pain but it'll get you home.

Thanks guys. That is some GOOD info!!

You could always push start the Goldwing with the dead battery, using 2nd gear

Read this on another forum, posted by someone who had done it.

Joe

Back in 1975, my buddy and I were on a tour of Big Bend region, when I had a major accident near Marathon, Texas that almost destroyed my CB750 (and me). Leaving me sitting in a motel bath tub full of ice water, my buddy rode 525 miles to his home near Dallas, rented a U-Haul trailer and came back for me in his Mustang. We drove back to Garland, where I managed to return the bike to a ride-able condition for our ride back to Fort Riley, Kansas.

The accident had demolished the left engine cover and stator. I was able to replace the cover with stator, but the end of the crankshaft had been bent and the rotor was rubbing on the stator coil. The stator was not charging as a result.

Of course, tearing the engine apart to replace the crankshaft was out of the question due to time constraints (our Army leave was nearly over and being AWOL was not an option.)

So we returned to Ft. Riley (500+ miles away), swapping batteries all the way. It was very fortuitous that he was also riding a CB750.:cool10: