IGNORED

Fuel Pump Issues

Well after the 2nd time that my Fuel pump let me down I decided to replace/repair it. OEM Pump was $203 and a repair kit was $30 so I decided to try the points repair. Really easy repair and now pump seems OK. The pics attached show the worn out contacts. Bike only has a little over 25,000 miles

Well after the 2nd time that my Fuel pump let me down I decided to replace/repair it. OEM Pump was $203 and a repair kit was $30 so I decided to try the points repair. Really easy repair and now pump seems OK. The pics attached show the worn out contacts. Bike only has a little over 25,000 miles

I am also looking for points for my fuel pump can you give me the ordering information?

Was it an exact match?

The K&L on e-bay said it wasn't for a venture but the points look exactly like yours.

Bubber

I bought mine from RidersNeeds.com, I think through Amazon, maybe Ebay, the number on the invoice I have says P/N 18-4615 YAMAHA, from K&L.

Here is phone number for RiderNeeds 877-547-0777, their web presnce is iffy when you search for their website and ebay shows their ebay store to be closed.

Maybe this helps.

Yep, I bet a lot of expensive pumps were replaced, when all they needed was some new points!

I will say I just skipped replacing the points and installed a new Mr Gasket pump. We all know the points on these things fail, and it seldom seems to be at a time when you can fix it easily. So I just cut to the chase and replaced the pump once and wont have to worry about one failing.

Replacing the points certainly is a good option for those who want to go that route. At least that option is there, unlike the rear shock delma of only certain suppliers.

I will say I just skipped replacing the points and installed a new Mr Gasket pump. We all know the points on these things fail, and it seldom seems to be at a time when you can fix it easily. So I just cut to the chase and replaced the pump once and wont have to worry about one failing.

Replacing the points certainly is a good option for those who want to go that route. At least that option is there, unlike the rear shock delma of only certain suppliers.

The problem with this repair is you MUST shut the fuel petcock off when the engine is not running. Forget this step and you may get a engine hydraulic lock! :(

I have not shut the petcock off in over 6 months since I put it on. Only when I have pulled the fuel tank. After reading several posts and talking to some with this pump and the similar "aircraft" type with the check valve found that most run this pump now and none of us have had the problem of flooding the carbs.

I can see if the vent was not working correctly it may pressurize the tank if it got hot and force fuel out, but no one I have talked to has had this issue.

I am also looking for points for my fuel pump can you give me the ordering information?

Was it an exact match?

The K&L on e-bay said it wasn't for a venture but the points look exactly like yours.

The K&L Universal Point kit 18-4615 is available here for $24.43:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/K-L-Supply-Universal-Fuel-Pump-Point-Switch-Kit-18-p/4606031.htm

I have not shut the petcock off in over 6 months since I put it on. Only when I have pulled the fuel tank. After reading several posts and talking to some with this pump and the similar "aircraft" type with the check valve found that most run this pump now and none of us have had the problem of flooding the carbs.

I can see if the vent was not working correctly it may pressurize the tank if it got hot and force fuel out, but no one I have talked to has had this issue.

The problem is, it's that one time a float sticks, then hydrolock and big problems. May never happen, may happen today.

Heck, I shutoff fuel off with the stock fuel pump. Just a habit now.

Thanks for the link Kev. I think it's time to pick up a set of those points. I just checked a set on the spare pump I picked up off eBay and they look pretty good, but the '99 pump is getting real quite so I think it's time to expand my 'stash' a bit...

Originally Posted by djh3 View Post

I can see if the vent was not working correctly it may pressurize the tank if it got hot and force fuel out, but no one I have talked to has had this issue

I had hydro lock once. Left rear cylinder filled with fuel and luckily the piston was at the top of its travel so no damage. I shut the fuel off EVERY time since then.

Edited by vzuden
cant spell