IGNORED

Speakers Replace?

I would like to replace the speakers in the Fairing of my 07 Venture. I found these on Amazon - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-MCC4002-Motorcycle-Speakers-Venture/dp/B006VLR3J8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1409998580&sr=8-13&keywords=Yamaha+Venture]Amazon.com : Bazooka MCC4002 4" 2-way Motorcycle Speakers for Honda Gold Wing and Yamaha Venture : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ocj47-J6L.@@AMEPARAM@@51Ocj47-J6L[/ame]

My goal is to get better sound and I know little about Speakers.

Number one, will these fit?

Number two, are they any better than stock?

I travel 2-up almost exclusively and my wife loves to sing to the radio. She says that she has a tough time hearing the radio at high speeds, I am hoping these will help with that.

If these won't work, which model do I want? I don't want to say that 'money is no issue' But, I DO want to keep Momma happy. So, I am willing to pay good money for good speakers.

craigr

They look like they would fit. I changed all 4 of mine out with Polk Audio DB401's, they are a marine grade speaker. They do provide a lot more clarity that the OEM's but in my opinion, if you really want to hear the radio better and do not want to wear head sets, install an amplifier and the speakers.

Use the intercom. Or I wired up a splitter of sorts and wired in a 3.5mm ear bud jack. I wear the earbuds with my helmets and it helps clear up the intercom and the radio. If a person so wanted to ride with out a lid you could still plug in the earbuds and hear radio without so much volume it distorts.

I installed an Alpine KTP 445U 40W Amp under the radio frame. Easy enough to plug into the bike system etc. You get a bigger boost in sound to punch through the wind when traveling down the highway without distortion. I run my MP3s through my GPS which also speaks direction changes through the bike's audio system..

I installed an Alpine KTP 445U 40W Amp under the radio frame. Easy enough to plug into the bike system etc. You get a bigger boost in sound to punch through the wind when traveling down the highway without distortion. I run my MP3s through my GPS which also speaks direction changes through the bike's audio system..

Is This the one I want? -

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410051677&sr=8-1&keywords=Alpine+KTP+445U+40W+Amp]Amazon.com : Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tLEGrlVDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tLEGrlVDL[/ame]

Okay, I did some reading and NOW I understand what this does.

What I don't understand is how you chose this particular AMP.

Why spend money for only 45 Watts? A couple of reviews say it isn't much louder than stock.

Comparing the sound of the Stereo on the Venture with sound of the stereo on a Harley, I am embarrassed. The Harley is MUCH better.

So wouldn't I want ALOT more watts?

Or, is it simply a matter of money?

I REALLY want my stereo to sound not only LOUD, but also produce QUALITY sound.

I am willing to spend a lot to get it, but don't know how.

I am in no ways an expert on stereo systems but this is what I think this is about.

To get a better sound out of the Venture system it is not enough just to add speakers with higher watts. You might get a clearer sound with better quality speakers but thats about it. The amplifier in the Ventures system has to have the capacity to drive bigger speakers. putting 150 watt speakers without enough amplification is not gonna change the quality of the sound that much. You need more power to drive them - hence an bigger amplifier. Therefore to get a great sound for the Venture the right way to do it is to add an amplifier to drive bigger speakers. A bigger amplifier is not gonna change the sound of the original speakers since these two things have to match so to speak. Personally I think the Venture speakers are c#%p !

I am sure somebody with good knowledge on this issue will chime in and give some expert advice - and if something written here above is not quite right then please be so kind to correct me :)

I am looking into this myself for my Venture since I would like to have good sound in the system since the original one is not good enough in my opinion.

Okay, I did some reading and NOW I understand what this does.

What I don't understand is how you chose this particular AMP.

Why spend money for only 45 Watts? A couple of reviews say it isn't much louder than stock.

Comparing the sound of the Stereo on the Venture with sound of the stereo on a Harley, I am embarrassed. The Harley is MUCH better.

So wouldn't I want ALOT more watts?

Or, is it simply a matter of money?

I REALLY want my stereo to sound not only LOUD, but also produce QUALITY sound.

I am willing to spend a lot to get it, but don't know how.

45 watts is all I needed to pump out the tunes loud enough to push through the wind at highway speeds, and the price I paid for the unit couldn't be beat at the time. Could it be louder, I'm sure it could.. does it need to be? Nope, this Alpine amp does the job for me and then some. Paired with the Polk speakers, the sound is awesome. And when hooked up properly, the rear speakers are indeed 'stereo' regardless of what anyone will tell you otherwise. All the wiring connections are done under the front fairing with a fused power lead running to the battery.

You also have to consider the source for quality sound. Some FM stations sound so much better than others, and mp3 encoding quality will also make a huge difference as well. I even looked into FM 'boosters' but discovered they are mostly either snake oil myth or a hit and miss contraption.

Like you, I don't know the science behind all of this but I do know what works for me as I've tried different antennas and speakers, and this is the best combination for my needs.

But do let us know if you found something better.

Car and Home Audio has been my hobby for over 20 years now. The first problem with the upgrading of the sound of the Venture stereo is the fact that Yamaha decided to use small 4 inch speakers all the way around and a low power Clarion OEM amp. Harley uses 5 1/4 inch and 6 1/2 inch speakers of a little bit better quality and about double the wattage from a better designed amp, thats why they sound better to begin with. First off when looking for 4 inch speakers for the Venture...... if it will get wet EVER, use marine rated speakers. Not too many audio companies left making Marine rated 4 inch speakers these days. Polk Audio does make some nice ones (model # DXi 400), Bazooka (model # MCC4002) so does Fusion Audio (model # MS-FR402)......(I have these Fusions in my rear speaker location). Next thing to look at is the Senitivity rating or DB rating(same thing) of a 4 inch (4 ohm) speaker. A higher number will indicate that it takes Less wattage to make them loud (that number is the actual decible rating measured with 1 watt driving the speaker at the design stages from the manufacture. Now.......that, that is clear as mud...LOL, any questions, please message me. I will be more than happy to ANSWER any audio questions. FYI... I have none of the Original Yamaha/Clarion OEM stereo on my bike. My in dash Radio, Satellite Tuner, 4 speakers, 2 Tweeters, Passive Crossovers, 4 channel amplifier and AM/FM Ant. are all aftermarket and sound terrific. I did all the work myself in my garage last winter. Have not had one single problem with it this whole riding season. The tape deck and CB/intercom are no longer part of the bike, but fixing the OEM amp and tuner was way too costly.

Edited by paai1993
Added speaker model #`s
  • Like 2

Car and Home Audio has been my hobby for over 20 years now. The first problem with the upgrading of the sound of the Venture stereo is the fact that Yamaha decided to use small 4 inch speakers all the way around and a low power Clarion OEM amp. Harley uses 5 1/4 inch and 6 1/2 inch speakers of a little bit better quality and about double the wattage from a better designed amp, thats why they sound better to begin with. First off when looking for 4 inch speakers for the Venture...... if it will get wet EVER, use marine rated speakers. Not too many audio companies left making Marine rated 4 inch speakers these days. Polk Audio does make some nice ones (model # DXi400), so does Fusion Audio (model # MS-FR402)......(I have these in my rear speaker location). Next thing to look at is the Senitivity rating or DB rating(same thing) of a 4 inch (4 ohm) speaker. A higher number will indicate that it takes Less wattage to make them loud (that number is the actual decible rating measured with 1 watt driving the speaker at the design stages from the manufacture. Now.......that, that is clear as mud...LOL, any questions, please message me. I will be more than happy to ANSWER any audio questions. FYI... I have none of the Original Yamaha/Clarion OEM stereo on my bike. My in dash Radio, Satellite Tuner, 4 speakers, 2 Tweeters, Passive Crossovers, 4 channel amplifier and AM/FM Ant. are all aftermarket and sound terrific. I did all the work myself in my garage last winter. Have not had one single problem with it this whole riding season. The tape deck and CB/intercom are no longer part of the bike, but fixing the OEM amp and tuner was way too costly.

Any pics of the install?

Jay

40 watts per channel sounds like enough to me. Might be double what you have now or even triple. One person who has done it said it sounds better. And he still has his CB and Comm.

You asked why only 40 Watts? Well keep in mind battery drain. You want to choose a amp that will fit for one and two the lowest draw that will do the job. OR you can then be working on charge system and battery problems as well as stator problems and might even have ta add a Capacitor or even an extra battery and even after all that mess, it would not endure a long trip before it ran you dry on power.

I have the edsets with the ear buds, ALL the sound you ever need. Update ear buds as you can afford or as they come out.

But if I was going to modify, that Alpine 40 amp looks good to me. The local Stereo shop in town been around about 30 years they do bikes and ONLY install ALPINE in bikes.

before you change your speakers, try plugging in a good quality mp3 or ipod and listen to the difference a better tuner gives you. $.02:whistling:

I have the polks in mine and they are better, but was not the cure.

my smart phone streaming Pandora was.

• 6 years later...
On 9/11/2014 at 3:04 AM, paai1993 said:

Car and Home Audio has been my hobby for over 20 years now. The first problem with the upgrading of the sound of the Venture stereo is the fact that Yamaha decided to use small 4 inch speakers all the way around and a low power Clarion OEM amp. Harley uses 5 1/4 inch and 6 1/2 inch speakers of a little bit better quality and about double the wattage from a better designed amp, thats why they sound better to begin with. First off when looking for 4 inch speakers for the Venture...... if it will get wet EVER, use marine rated speakers. Not too many audio companies left making Marine rated 4 inch speakers these days. Polk Audio does make some nice ones (model # DXi 400), Bazooka (model # MCC4002) so does Fusion Audio (model # MS-FR402)......(I have these Fusions in my rear speaker location). Next thing to look at is the Senitivity rating or DB rating(same thing) of a 4 inch (4 ohm) speaker. A higher number will indicate that it takes Less wattage to make them loud (that number is the actual decible rating measured with 1 watt driving the speaker at the design stages from the manufacture. Now.......that, that is clear as mud...LOL, any questions, please message me. I will be more than happy to ANSWER any audio questions. FYI... I have none of the Original Yamaha/Clarion OEM stereo on my bike. My in dash Radio, Satellite Tuner, 4 speakers, 2 Tweeters, Passive Crossovers, 4 channel amplifier and AM/FM Ant. are all aftermarket and sound terrific. I did all the work myself in my garage last winter. Have not had one single problem with it this whole riding season. The tape deck and CB/intercom are no longer part of the bike, but fixing the OEM amp and tuner was way too costly.

How can I get in touch with you?

• 1 year later...