IGNORED

Looks like i might have found my shift problem

Looks like your shift lever is all caddy whompus. Probably bent when it was layed down on the left side. Any shifter will be a bolt on from 83-93... If it were me I'd put the petcock on reserve and toss the messed up knob... Ride by the odo and fuel gauge. Good luck finding the fairing etc. Looks like it's an '87.

I was out staring at my fuel knob. I "think" you are on reserve. It almost looks like there is a remnant of an arrow on the top side of the knob. Looking at one of your pics. Either that or a goober....!

Easiest way to check is ride until reserve light comes on...if motor doesn't die at some point after, you must be on reserve! :080402gudl_prv:

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/Rip_Parsells/media/DSC05943_zpsbc85f454.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

I think the shift linkage is ok I think the mount is bent outward causing the angle????
Not likely much chance of the mount being bent outwards since any crash would bend it inwards. My shifter looks offset as well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86739&stc=1&d=1409590248

Have you tried lubing the linkage? Put some engine oil on the pivot pin and open the rubber cover and squirt some under it. I've found the linkage needs to be oiled every couple of months when riding in the rain.

I was out staring at my fuel knob. I "think" you are on reserve. It almost looks like there is a remnant of an arrow on the top side of the knob. Looking at one of your pics. Either that or a goober....!
Goober or not, I agree with it being on reserve. My 90 VR had no knob or cover and so to find out I did ride it until it ran out of gas.... literally, since it was already on reserve. I did have the foresight to carry a can of gas with me at the time. Without the cover it is possible to see the valve's stopper tab which points forward when on reserve. Turning the valve stem clockwise turns the valve to off (reserve off) and the stopper tab points aft.

Had a look at my 89 which still has the knob and it has the same orientation as gogi's. This knob would not turn with finger pressure so I didn't force it. Even though it is a useless appendage I still want to keep the knob whole. Condor's advice is best practice, reset the trip gauge every time the tank is filled and learn how far you can go until the reserve light comes on. At least once run the tank dry and note how far that is and you will be set to "Venture" out and about with one less unpleasant surprise to be concerned with.