IGNORED

Speedohealer Speedometer recalibrator

ronklein

I've had my 04 RSV for about a year and always suspected that the speedometer read a bit high. My suspicions were comfirmed on a recent trip to CA, when my GPS read 73MPH but my speedo read 80. I double checked by using a stopwatch and mile markers ans sure enough, it read about 10% high. I'm guessing that the odometer is also off by that much, but I haven't checked yet. Anyway, I looked around on the web and found the Speedohealer unit with a plug and play Yamaha harness for $94 (with free shipping). Seemed like a high price to pay to correct my speedo, but then I remembered how much my last speeding ticket cost. I have a heavy right arm, i like knowing exactly how much over the limit I am, and want my odometer mileage to be accurate. I bit the bullet and ordered one for Christmas. All I can say is that the installation was a breeze and the setup was equally simple. After I calibrated it using the formula on their website, my speedometer is accurate now to within 1MPH thoughout the range. Check www.speedohealer.com for details. Now that I've already spent the cash http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif , I was wondering if I should have brought it to the dealer for a warranty speedometer repair instead. Anyone ever have any luck with that? Seems to me that 10% high is outside of the error spec for a new vehicle. http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smiles/icon_question.gif http://www.venturers.org/Forum/images/smiles/icon_question.gif

From some posts I read on VROC when I had my Nomad, up to 10% is within specs and no dealer will change this. I bought something very similar by Black Robotics called The Little Yellow Box and it was an easy splice in and a breeze to set, just toggle switches anywhere from I think .25% mph to 18% mph. On the Nomad the speedo and Odo are running off the same wire so the odo went up 10% also.... and if you have been guaging your miles per gallon by dividing the miles by gallons, your mpg should be 10% worse.

I think I read somewhere that the specs they go by are US and the limit is + or - 12% .

I bought the same device and love it. No more guessing at 80 mph if I'm gonna get a ticket or not.

You know the sticker you got with it.:rotf:

I know I'm speeding

My Speedometer is Calibrated

It's funny that you post this as I was going to try and figure out how to recalibrate my speedo also. I too hate not knowing exactly how fast I'm going, whether I'm speeding or not. I'll be looking into buying this cool little gadget and getting mine strait :banana:

It's funny that you post this as I was going to try and figure out how to recalibrate my speedo also. I too hate not knowing exactly how fast I'm going, whether I'm speeding or not. I'll be looking into buying this cool little gadget and getting mine strait :banana:

the day we road up the river to 46 we only did 45 most of the way and hit 52 one time for a few miles at best. just in case you wanted to know never did hit 55 :thumbsup2: but it was a great day:15_8_211[1]:

I have also been considering getting a SpeedoHealer. I don't have a GPS, so I'm wondering how you'd go about calibrating it. Maybe find a willing cop to use his radar gun as I ride by at 70mph? The percentage error seems to me to be more of an educated guess than real data, in this case. What other ways are there of reliably gauging my speed?Sheesh! Will I ever stop finding ways to spend money on this bike? LOL

I have also been considering getting a SpeedoHealer. I don't have a GPS, so I'm wondering how you'd go about calibrating it. Maybe find a willing cop to use his radar gun as I ride by at 70mph? The percentage error seems to me to be more of an educated guess than real data, in this case. What other ways are there of reliably gauging my speed?Sheesh! Will I ever stop finding ways to spend money on this bike? LOL

To calculate your true speed, go to an interstate (or any road with mile markers). Use a stopwatch to determine the number of seconds that it takes to go one mile. Then divide 3600 by the number of seconds elapsed between mile markers. This is your actual MPH. For instance, if you clocked 50 seconds between mile markers, you are going 72 MPH (3600 divided by 50 = 72). You may be off by a tenth or two due to judging exactly where your mile starts and stops, but that's pretty close.

To calculate your true speed, go to an interstate (or any road with mile markers). Use a stopwatch to determine the number of seconds that it takes to go one mile. Then divide 3600 by the number of seconds elapsed between mile markers. This is your actual MPH. For instance, if you clocked 50 seconds between mile markers, you are going 72 MPH (3600 divided by 50 = 72). You may be off by a tenth or two due to judging exactly where your mile starts and stops, but that's pretty close.

Great answer. Thanks. Now I just have to find those mile markers (once the weather allows: Seattle).

Before the crash we had many posts on the Speedo-Healer and other similar devices.

I've been thinking about getting one. I did a long write up (wish I had saved that) about the error factor on my RSV. At the time I used the stopwatch and measured mile marks. I found that my RSV was about +10% off. I calculated that even though my odometer had about 58k miles the bike had an actual 53K miles. The missing 5k is all error factor. Since then I confirmed my error factor with GPS on several occasions. The thing to remember is the error is in percentages. Meaning with +10% error at 30mph your actually traveling at 27mph and at 60mph your traveling 54mph and at 70mph your traveling at 63mph. The speedo-healer claims to accurately correct for the percentage base error factor.

The one factor I can count on right now is that as long as I travel at the posted speed according to my speed-o I will not get a ticket and I have to go a little over the posted I am still safe. That is 'peace of mind' especially since the ride is more important than how fast you got there. (Usually)

Great discussion. thanks for the feedback. I feel better now that I know the dealer wouldn't have done anything under warranty.

By the way, I got my speedohealer at : http://www.xtsportbikeaccessories.com/SpeedoHealer.html cause they were running a free shipping special before Christmas. Their prices are in Canadian dollars which worked out to $94 US.

There is also a US distributor : http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?pid=800 . Price is about the same.

:080402gudl_prv:

I got tire of the speedometer (and odometer) being off so I installed a speedohealer last summer and it works as advertised. My correction factor (based on my gps and roadside radar) was 8.6%. It's dialed in perfectly now. So now not only do I read the correct speed but my mileage is no longer inflated by 8.6%.

Dennis