IGNORED

Sena SMH10

djh3

With the Sena 20s we have music, GPS and intercom at the same time. Only the phone turns off the music when in use. Also, we run open mic all day long and my Son-in-Law has a 1/2 shell helmet and most of the time we have no wind noise. Once in a while I can hear it. But, it is pricey. You get what you pay for.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Sena 20s we have music, GPS and intercom at the same time. Only the phone turns off the music when in use. Also, we run open mic all day long and my Son-in-Law has a 1/2 shell helmet and most of the time we have no wind noise. Once in a while I can hear it. But, it is pricey. You get what you pay for.

How low do you have the sensitivity set on the receiver for VOX intercom. I'm down to level 2 and still get intermittent music cancelling, without even starting the bike, her helmet is setting on the bench, mine is 5 foot away

Dave and Barbie---That looks interesting. I think I have seen that before. I may look one of those up and install on my AUX input under the fairing. It could be wired straight in and hidden. I know if I use my phone for music I have to turn it way way up almost full blast to get the volume to where its useable.

Dave and Barbie---That looks interesting. I think I have seen that before. I may look one of those up and install on my AUX input under the fairing. It could be wired straight in and hidden. I know if I use my phone for music I have to turn it way way up almost full blast to get the volume to where its useable.

Have you looked into a MiXiT 2? http://www.mixitproducts.com/

I have 2 of these, one on the Vulcan and one on the wing, both do exactly what is decribed above but only have 2 inputs

OK so finally had a few minutes to look the Mix it thing up. WOWZER they are proud of that thing. I hate to guess what the guy get for the amplirider thing then. Guess I'll have to go back to the idea of building a battery eliminator for the boostaroo.

OK so finally had a few minutes to look the Mix it thing up. WOWZER they are proud of that thing. I hate to guess what the guy get for the amplirider thing then. Guess I'll have to go back to the idea of building a battery eliminator for the boostaroo.

Look through your messages, I told you what he gets for it, less than half of what the MiXiT sells for by the time you add shipping

I also copied you on the message he gave me on returns if we aren't happy,happy,happy

OK I was trying to sort out which was what. Thanks. That fellow also has something called a pav2 or something. Looks like it might also work if it was wired to dc to charge instead of aa batteries. I think they go for around $30 on ebay.

How low do you have the sensitivity set on the receiver for VOX intercom. I'm down to level 2 and still get intermittent music cancelling, without even starting the bike, her helmet is setting on the bench, mine is 5 foot away

I am not sure on sensitivity. I believe it is set at factory setting whatever that is. We don't get music cancelling. He gets to listen to me sing to the music but he cant hear the music. :rotf:

Ours plays music and intercom simultaneously.

• 1 year later...

Well We went and done did it. Wanted to get the wife a proper motorcycle jacket that isn't 2 sizes to big and one of my take offs or didnt fit right. So we went to Cycle Gear in Orlando. Picked her up a nice jacket I think is going to work well. she asked the salesman about wireless headsets. First thing out his mount was about the Sena. I found that a little odd as "their brand" is the blinc. Anyways we picked up the SMH10 dual set. Paid more than I had shopped out on e-bay but......... Oh well its only money rite?

Anyways we picked up the SMH10 dual set. Paid more than I had shopped out on e-bay but......... Oh well its only money rite?

But you got a 2 year warranty with your purchase. 85% of the ebay sellers are selling stuff that Sena will not warranty. Had a long drawn out battle with a seller and Sena to learn this.

Be sure and fully charge the units before use, and register them with Sena , download and install the latest firmware. You will be happy with them

Yup all charged up. I mounted them up after work tonight. Got the firm ware on them last night, so had to re-pair them today after mounting up. Could pair the sets together, and to my phone and the boss. but I could not get it to pair with my 765t. I read that the "codes" to pair as a MP3 player were different and thats why that function will not work. But I cant get it to pair GPS mode either. The GPS says "can not connect to Bluetooth" or something to that effect. Being we leave Sat I think my work around is just to run GPS thru the bike radio as I always have and connect my ear bud plug from the intercom to the Sena via cord.

very few GPS will connect with Sena. You have to be able to enter a code for them, usually it is "0000". No where/way to do that on Sena, or a Garmin 765t. You would think they would program that in under the GPS or second phone pairing option.

you would never get it in time but,,, I do make a harness that will plug into the 5pin headset and allow you to become toatally BT, ven transmit on CB if you have one

The Zumo will pair to your Sena, but they are almost as much as another motorcycle

Edited by Bob Myers

Naw thanks anyways. I'm good, the rig will work fine. Dont mind a cable to the helmet for the GPS. LOL Its lighter and smaller than the J&M job. one of my worries if being able to figure out what does what and how, answer phone switch back and all that with out having to read the entire manual 3 times.

Wish i could get away with only 3 times. I carry a manual with me on each bike, I will constantly need to refer to something in it!

No one reading ever "sticks" with me

You referenced an aux cable earlier. Does your bike have this, what does it feed to? Do you have a 5pin headset connection? i have a cheap alternative if all you want to do is listen, and have a 5 pin connector for headset

A couple years ago I built a 5 pin "jumper" cable with 3.5mm feed. I connects under the fairing inline with the OEM 5 pin and runs the 3.5mm for ear buds back to me so I can plug in ear buds, which were my preferred method of listing. driver plug.jpg You will have to look hard, but it sits on top of the OEM plug

• 2 weeks later...

Now would be the time to convince her to turn loose of the funds needed to upgrade to BT for both helmets.I have negotiated with a Sena Dealer for a really good deal on a pair of Sena 20S, today they are basically the best on the market, tomorrow may bring something new and better and we'll move on to that then.Presently you can save near $100 on a pair, making my $75 harness better than free. With the harness sale you get the dealer name and code we need to access this deal.

You can convert just her helmet to BT, and use the harness to adapt a second unit to the bike, she could then be unwired and you wired.

Is using the Cb important to you? If not I do have a much cheaper alternative to allow listening only, to anything the bike will do now

I bought a Sena smh10 for my Bell Mag 9 I didn't know you had to get the different inside piece. I haven't yet. Does it make that much of a difference. I do know that I quit using my Garmin gps. Because with the Sena unit it will talk through the speakers in the helmet. I like that. I mainly got it to play music & in case my kids needed to get ahold of me.

Bob,

The group i ride with is mostly ventures and a few roadstars all have cb systems. So that is a major for me. I'm looking at options right now but i like the idea of bluetooth and being able to use all of the bikes features.

If you have nothing and want it all,, all at once the total investment is at about $580. There are cheaper ways to do it also, like one piece at a time, and such.

What ever you do, it is recommended that since you have nothing you may as well start with what is the best on market today so that unlike me you won't buy 2 or 3 different setups looking for the "one" that works for you.

The 20S will do multitasking, in that it will have a hot intercom all the time and still allow you to listen to your music via either my harness and module or about any other listen only device you wish to pair. And to this, you can add the Zump BT if youi have Zumo, and the telephone if you wish. If you add the phone, and it rings, should you choose to answer it, it will cancel all other inputs and you hear it alone, when you end the call everything comes back on as before.

The SMH5 and SMH 10 both are excellent units but unless Sena has developed some fancy new software they only do one task at a time, either intercom or music, but the phone still works, and cancels every thing else.

I bought a Sena smh10 for my Bell Mag 9 I didn't know you had to get the different inside piece. I haven't yet. Does it make that much of a difference. I do know that I quit using my Garmin gps. Because with the Sena unit it will talk through the speakers in the helmet. I like that. I mainly got it to play music & in case my kids needed to get ahold of me.

What inside piece do you need?

The part that has the mic & speakers. Supposedly for the Mag 9 it's thinner so you can mount inside the helmet & snap the volume control in the space on the helmet. It doesn't matter it still sounds good.

Edited by 10spd
added

Sounds like the "clamp" is what he needs Bob. I just bought 2 of them off e-bay for 36 bucks, as we picked up 2 brand new Mag 9 for $100 ea. J&P had them on sale for biketober week when we dropped in Sunday.

The smh5 didnt get very good reviews from what I read up on. Had something to do with the way it mounted in the clamp on helmet. The 10 R I think it is I have read OK reviews. It is the sort of rectangle shaped one.