IGNORED

Wife wants a Slingshot

Freebird

I may have made a mistake in showing my wife the videos of the Polaris Slingshot. She wants one NOW. In fact, she made some calls last week to try and schedule a test ride.

I got a bit of a reprieve because the dealers that she called said that they would not have one until sometime in October.

Here is the thing though. I will NOT buy one at this time. I think it would be a blast to ride or drive or whatever you would call it and I'm not too worried about it being a first year production model. The reason that I will not buy one right now is because I just KNOW...there is not a doubt in my mind...that in a few months there will be a touring model complete with side bags, trunk, hitch etc. The Spyder didn't bring out their touring model right off either and I'm sure that Polaris will be introducing one soon and I have no doubt that it is already, at the very least, in the design stage.

So, as hard as it is to tell Eileen NO. We will hold off. Maybe someday but not quiet yet.

Hmmmmmm...

Many years ago Tippy wanted me to hang a clothes line,,, WOE NOW,, I can hear it already,, WHAT THE HECK DOES A CLOTHES LINE HAVE TO DO WITH BUYING A MOTORCYCLE PUC - YOU DONE GONE MAD YA BOZO!!

Well,, let explain..

So Tip wants a clothes line, I go about welding pipes together making the bestest clothes line holder upper that ya ever did see.. Than came the day to put it up... Tippy wants it put in the ground so the line is running north and south.. I, being the "see the big picture" kinda guy, explain to her that the wind usually blows from west to east and that the clothes would dry better hanging west to east.. BUT, in her eyes, it wouldnt look right..

We discussed the matter and, between the two of us, decided on a clothes line mounted at an angle so it looked good and the clothes dryed fairly well.. We were both happy and our kids enjoyed a life of running around with dry clothes:rotf:..

Working together to find a solution that we both can enjoy is where we have found ourselves over and over again in this crazy thing we call life.. Lord KNOWS we have had our struggles (and those usually come from one of us being bullheaded and unwilling to negotiate and compromise :whistling:)

All that being said, I wonder if you went together and chatted with the Sales people about your concerns on what may be coming in the Slingshot line.. Maybe set up an arrangement with them that will allow her to purchase any future add on's available at dealer cost if she ordered one now.. I can see where having her learn the bike, riding techniques and proper road behavior without the added weight of a full touring machine could work in your wifes favor. Kinda the crawl before ya walk routine..

Also, Dealers are "suppose" to work with perspective buyers on fulfilling their needs and wants. If you ran into a Dealer unwilling to work with you and her I would RUN, not walk, RUN from that dealership and never look back.. In the end, finding a GOOD dealership is a goldmine in itself, especially when dealing with a first year model..

Ya better be nice to her Don, you always wanna be able to depend on her to let you ride on the back of her bike if you ever find the need to be rescued.... :Laugh::motorcyclehelmet::motorcyclehelmet:

Brothers and Sisters on VR,, if you dont hear from me for a while you will KNOW what NOT to say here on the forums :rotf:

Tx2sturgis and I sat in one at Sturgis. Very nice rig. Much more like a car than a bike, with tilt steering wheel, clutch brake and accelerator pedal, and a stick shift much like a car. Bigger in life than in pictures. If the wife can drive a stick, there should be little or no transition to this three wheel machine. It felt fun just sitting in it. No test rides at Sturgis either , as they were not officially released till later this fall. I could own one.

Bill:cool10:

in a few months there will be a touring model complete with side bags, trunk, hitch etc.

Polaris did the similar thing with the Victory Cross Country ... 1st year or two the trunk was an optional add-on and I think it never came available until the second year. Lowers weren't available. Then they introduced the Cross Country "Tour" which had everything.

I saw them in Sturgis as well. First impression was that they are almost as big as a car. I was thinking to myself that a 5.0 liter Mustang would be fun to drive too, and the trunk on a Mustang would hold a few clothes. I would look seriously at a convertible, because it felt like it was a 3 wheeled car to me. Both of my boys said that they could see themselves having one though.

The dealership I work for is going to sell the Slingshot, not ALL Polaris dealers will carry them...They WONT be in showrooms till late October. My GM & one of theother salesman got to ride them & they said they are every bit as fun as the video makes them out to be.... CAUTION most dealers including the one I work for is going to ask $1000 over MSRP. My advice is WAIT till some of the new wears off. The one thing Polaris will have over the Can-Am Spyder is that Polaris does abetter job in engineering. Can_Am has recalls on recalls..... lol While I'm plugging we also sell URALS lol

Guest tx2sturgis

They look really cool...and all that...probably a lot of fun to drive...and all that...

But dang.

You can buy a decent used Miata for half that and it comes with a windshield, air conditioning, and airbags!

:p

I may have made a mistake in showing my wife the videos of the Polaris Slingshot. She wants one NOW.

Here is the thing though. I will NOT buy one at this time.

So, as hard as it is to tell Eileen NO. Maybe someday but not quiet yet.

YEAH, RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT ! :stirthepot: Are you new at this "I WANT"stuff . Just tell us what color you ordered and get it over with....:buttkick:p.s. LOL

I read the engine specs and photos and indeed this is the from Pontiac solstice & Saturn series so who ever buys one gonna get a rush !!! Bullet proof motors like my Pontiac Solstice except mine has the 2.0 Ecotec Turbo

Do note these engines require Syn.oil 5w30 and super unleaded fuel due to the engine design! Mine Came out of mfg with Mobil One Talking about these motors is making me want to drive the Solstice Now lol

Edited by buddy

They look really cool...and all that...probably a lot of fun to drive...and all that...

But dang.

You can buy a decent used Miata for half that and it comes with a windshield, air conditioning, and airbags!

Yea,,, and the bling for a miata is almost into Harleydom.. Plus, and an awesome plus it is, that FoMoCo kit with a slightly cammed 5 Liter tossed in it makes for one cute little Cobra Miata!!:mo money:

But dang.

Agreed!!!

I've had a yearning for a Miata. There are times that our weekend or vacation plans have suffered due to crappy weather...storms have a way of taking all the fun out of riding. I'm not talking just rain here, but storms with wind/lightning/hail ain't fun to ride in. Often wished I had a Miata or similar when we are heading out for a few days and storms are predicted. But I've been held back by the fact that a Miata would be sitting in my garage all winter due to the snow & ice here in Indiana. I don't want to have 2 vehicles that are basically warm-weather only (Wing & Miata), then have 2 more for our daily drivers.

So, I found a solution. A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport which is in pretty much unmolested condition. Never lifted, only minor cosmetic accessories, has an auto trans, A/C, Cruise Control, hard top and soft top. I'll tell you, I'm thrilled with it (with the exception of fuel economy; they are heavy drinkers). This baby will eat up Indiana winters, and with the soft top installed we can head out even when storms are predicted. Takes only a few minutes to raise the top.

Still have our Wing, still riding it on weekends and trips...but I can see the day coming when the Jeep may take precedence over the bike.

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis
Agreed!!!

I've had a yearning for a Miata.....

A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport.....This baby will eat up Indiana winters,

Still have our Wing, still riding it on weekends and trips...but I can see the day coming when the Jeep may take precedence over the bike.

Joe

Of course I used the Miata as simply an example of a decent little topless car that some wives might be happy with.

Jeep Wrangler is another example.

The Polaris Slingshot is pretty cool...cuz its so different. It seems sporty, and impressive. It will get lots of attention anywhere you park it.

And yes, I predicted they would sell for 20 large, and Polaris will sell everyone they build...I have no doubt.

BUT....

The base model was pretty spartan. You can tell its purpose-built for going fast, impressing friends, and...being rained in and on. No carpet, limited electronics, and no AC or heat. No windshield, although I'm sure one will be available.

I suspect the ride and the handling are REALLY good...Polaris will get that right, I'm certain.

The tires, the suspension, the wheels...very sporty and and not cheap looking at all. I didnt get a chance to look at the engine, but I'm sure its impressive looking under that tuperware 'bonnet'...

Dang thing reminds me of a prop from a 'Transformers' movie...so I'm guessing that 18 to 34 year-old males will buy these in droves.

Yep...I'd like to drive one...just for grins...but would I shell out 20 large for one? Nope.

:cool10:

BTW....My Ural eats up winters too....and its still a motorcycle! I ride it way more than I ride the Venture....I know what you're saying...

:happy34:

By the way Brian, I LOVED the pic of your Ural with the side car tipped up while at Sturgis!! First thought when I saw it - toss a tarp over the whole thing - instant motorcycle lean-to cabin!! :cool10:

I was meaning to ask you if you rode it from Texas or trailered it... Sure looked like a LOT of fun!!

But dang.

Well we had a Miata and sold it for 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP which runs circles around the Miata the GXP will give the high power corvettes run for the money and just think that power in a slingshot

Over on the slingshot forum there's talk about turbo charging the engine to 430 hp holly Molly batman :bikersmilie:

Sounds like Can-Am may be loosing a lot of sales this coming October when slingshot hits the show rooms

For pretty much even money the Spyder RS-S has about 8lbs./HP while the Slingshot has 10 lbs./HP. The Slingshot holds around 3 more gallons of gas, but pulling twice the weight around it's likely to need it. The Spyder also touts it's Brembo discs and Fox suspension. Can Am is also the more mature player in this class.

Actually I see now that the Slingshot SL is around $4000 more than the Spyder RS-S, but with all of your money that's not going to an issue, is it?

If I were in the market I'd definitely be giving them both a critical look.

Edited by syscrusher
more mature

Guest tx2sturgis
By the way Brian, I LOVED the pic of your Ural with the side car tipped up while at Sturgis!! First thought when I saw it - toss a tarp over the whole thing - instant motorcycle lean-to cabin!! :cool10:

I was meaning to ask you if you rode it from Texas or trailered it... Sure looked like a LOT of fun!!

Hey Puc...just got logged in here...on the road again....

The Ural isn't a road bike....its just not. Now SOME people ride them long distance but they tend to be in their 20's...just sayin.They dont have a 55 year old prostate!

The Ural is more like a garden tractor...a tool for a job but you dont drive it 900 miles to the location.

Top speed about 60...happy at 55...power-to-weight ratio equal to a 125cc scooter...but gas mileage is about 28...terrible handling at highway speeds...the seat is hard as a brick and the suspension jolts the rider on every bump and expansion joint. The little 35 hp motor can barely keep it going at 40 mph up a long grade if its loaded down. It would take me 3-4 days each way to cover the distance, and I'd be hurting when I got there.

When/if a breakdown occured out there in nowhere Nebraska...where the heck would I find a dealer within 500 miles?

The Ural is a blast around town...and for rides up to about 75 miles or so...then the fun is gone...its not in its element on the road. You have to travel the right lane all day and watch out for stupid SUV drivers who nearly run up your backside even on 2 lane roads.

Nope. The Ural is like an ATV...its a toy that you carry to the fun.

I have ridden my touring and cruiser bikes 18 times to Sturgis and I've ridden dang near all the paved roads in the Black Hills...I wanted to do something different...and include the van that I bought for camping...so thats what I did....

The muddier the campground got from the rain, the more fun the Ural was...flying the chair down titty alley got me all kinds of looks...

Parking the Ural in parking lots that were full of a million dollars worth of Harley's and Goldwings and choppers, and people would wander up to the Ural and ask questions or give me the thumbs up...or mostly...they took pictures.

Incredible fun the Ural is...approachable by kids and old geezers alike. During the rally, it was pretty filthy from all the dirt roads and mud that I found....during one encounter with a young lady and her kids, she noticed it was pretty dirty and remarked that a dirt toy is 'supposed' to be dirty....:happy34:

BTW...yeah, the Ural is really a different machine. It's much easier to clean the underside by simply lifting the sidecar up...the bike will rest on its left engine guard. Even that little situation causes people to come up and smile and gawk.

The Ural is a fun ride...but is it a road bike?

Well... it's a street legal ATV and I treat it as one...thats why I bought it.

If I'm taking the Ural more than 100 miles its gonna be on a trailer. Period.

:happy34: