IGNORED

So,, why exactly did Barrycuda go with Honda? What REALLY happened?

cowpuc

As many folks know, Barrycuda - a very Dear friend of Tippy and mine and to many of you, decided a while back to dismount his GORGEOUS Yamaha and mount up on a Honda Wing.. We have all seen the pics and ALL admire the machine, after all,, THOSE GOLD WINGS ARE BEAUTIFUL BIKES!!

I followed Barry's thread about his new bike, like many of you, and was truly inspired by the looks of the bike. I also could see a really good match between the bike and my buddy.. However (I can hear you saying to yourself,, HERE WE GO AGAIN),, something about the story that Barry provided just didnt add up..

Me being the suspicious type AND, in the name of :stirthepot:, I took it upon myself to ask Barry's brother, Son (this is Barry's brother who now owns Barrys gorgeous old bike) exactly what happened.. Of course,, I just happened to video it too so all our family on VR could witness this historic moment!

Take it away Barry and Son!!!!!!!!!

Puc

PS,, Son - NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IN LOSING YOUR ENDORSEMENT BROTHER,, WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!!!:bighug:

Scott I'm partly the blame ? I let Barry sit on my Wing at B2mom&Dads 2013 meet so I guess I made the itch even more worse for Barry

Buddy

Ah hah,, now the real truth comes out:backinmyday:

I tell you one thing Buddy, that Wing he picked up makes my heart THROB!! And BROTHER, does that thing fit him to a tee or what!! It was soooo nice to finally get to see Barry again, see his new bike and, getting to finally meet his brother in person was awesome!!

Puc

DSCN5685.JPG

Scott I'm partly the blame ? I let Barry sit on my Wing at B2mom&Dads 2013 meet so I guess I made the itch even more worse for Barry

Buddy

Then he saw mine, so we are both to blame...:rasberry: ......:twing:

Barry is a good guy for sure. I haven't ridden with him in a while so I have not seen his new Gold Wing. I can't ride right now anyway because of my back. I really can't blame him for wanting a Gold Wing. I think most people would agree, they are a lot nicer than the Yamaha's. If I could get a Gold Wing, I would do it too. Hopefully I will ride with him again some day.

I did not know that about Barry...that he was REPEATEDLY dropped on his head as a child. that does explain alot. However, I will blame Buddy AND Eck for corrupting my friend Barry and talking him into switching to a Wing. Really guys...he's just a young wippersnapper and you two probably ganged up on him, double teamed him...talked him right into it, didn't ya???

Thanks for the video Puc...it was nice to put a face to Barry's Brother, Son. and yes, he should still get his endorsement deal. Really!!!

Miss you guys

Patti

I did not know that about Barry...that he was REPEATEDLY dropped on his head as a child. that does explain alot. However, I will blame Buddy AND Eck for corrupting my friend Barry and talking him into switching to a Wing. Really guys...he's just a young wippersnapper and you two probably ganged up on him, double teamed him...talked him right into it, didn't ya???

Thanks for the video Puc...it was nice to put a face to Barry's Brother, Son. and yes, he should still get his endorsement deal. Really!!!

Miss you guys

Patti

Mom you really think we do that :whistling:

To Barry we be just good ol boys meaning no harm :crackup:

Mom you really think we do that :whistling:

To Barry we be just good ol boys meaning no harm :crackup:

My bad here gang, I think Barry's brothers name is spelled Sunn, not Son,, my bad and my deepest apologys Sunn!! Please still be my friend ok?:cool10:

Buddy's saying above says it all!!

B2dad thinks maybe it's our fault, that we should take the blame for this because after all...it was OUR M & E where he saw the WING and decided maybe he wanted one.

So Buddy and Eck...dad says you are off the hook. We know you are just a couple of good ole boys! Meaning no harm...Dukes of Hazard, right? LOLOL

and Puck...thank you for setting us straight on Sunn...I actually thought I had seen that before on one of Barry's posts...but wasn't sure.

First off, thank you everyone for allowing me to be part of the VR family. As you can see in the video, the camera does add about 30 pounds to my already svelte frame. that said, let me add what really is going on...

BEN ROLLINS: the bell was on when I went to the IR, Pic soon mate !!!

First: Buddy, I am glad you are doing well and replying back on VR forum. good to have you back.

2- Despite Sunn faulty and misleading accusations, he said some non truths. Repeatedly dropped on my head was his way of trying to fit in and belong. fact is, that just because I allow others to have more of an active role in TALKING, does not mean I don't have anything of value to say or contribute. I am, many things: father, husband, home owner, motorcyclist ( frequently ride to many events alone) former professional drummer ( yes, paid, recorded albums, on the road, that was my job), College graduate (while working 2 jobs), firearm licensed and diving into my own bullet making, active in jiu jitsu, Fillipino weapons training ( kali, escrima and arnis), JKD and CQB, ( some of my friends and instructors are internationally known) as well as being able to be laid back, enjoy a good book, a good beer. I am a loyal friend, but also one who does not like to be taken advantage of. ( unless on Puc video camera) what I am not is...someone who was dropped on his head. NICE TRY FELIX!!

Back to the Goldwing saga...

TRUE: I did sit on Buddy and Peg's GW at the 2013 dresden BBQ. True: Eck and Konnie were and still are awesome. True: I wanted a GW once I found out it was another reliable bike that had reverse and fuel injection. ( My Kawasaki 1500 is almost 15 years old and is FI) but I digress...

About 1.5 years ago, I was "test riding" a 2010 GW level 3 ( ABS ) and prior to that the vulcan voyager. The fine folks at barneys of Brooksville, allowed me to make the test run all day. after filling it up twice and establishing 409 miles, I was hooked. I was making serious low speed U turns, and it took off like a rocket. The stereo system was head and shoulders above my beloved Raspberry Tart and I thought that was going to be the bike. I was torn...

My 2003 took me to Dresden, TN, there and back in the torrential rain: no issues. Took me to the Georgia mountains to VOGEL and Tail of the dragon, again in the rain and again no issues. Was I just wanting the next piece of eye candy? You guys and the bike were REAL good to me. I learned how to carb sync from Steve K, and after confiding in him I elected to take his advice and ride her some more.... I even had a VERY nice phone call from Yammer Dan when it turned out another Florida RSV same as mine was involved in a MVA, and he was checking on me. that was really really cool considering much of my own family I do not associate with .

However, the GW was an itch I HAD TO SCRATCH. I like to try and learn new things, to explore and expand. I wanted to see if the GW was for me. If it isn't, then no big deal because I know which bike I can go back to. I had to see if this was for me... Right now, I am not having any real regrets. I gain in some areas and lose in others. the main attraction to the GW was the handling, reverse, fuel injection and reliability.

Here is my 2500 mile update regarding the GW

while at times I do sincerely miss my RSV, considering all we did to maker her special and unique, right now I am enjoying the GW. Here are some differences I noticed right away:

Fuel injection mean no carb/ gas smell in the garage. it also means rocket ship like take off at green lights. It is still something I have to get used to, because in a flash, I am bolting off the line, not meaning to leave my brothers and sisters behind. I am working on perfecting my throttle response.

bike is VERY nimble and responsive. You don't have to use a lot of energy to turn the handle bars. In the beginning I found the bike staying off course because I moved my shoulder/ arms too much when looking at things from the side. was WEIRD! but that's how responsive and sensitive they are...

Low center of gravity: it is not top heavy and moves easily with tractor trailers blowing by me. it also does have better low speed maneuvering, although to be fair, I have perfected that with the RSV after taking the RLAP course with the RSV.

ABS brakes: Came in handy on our return trip, as we were heading on to I-185, I was the lead bike and a full sized Doe with the baby came flying across me, and I slowly but firmly applied the brakes. ABS: THANK YOU

6 cylinders vs V4 mean it sips a few more drops of fuel, but I like the gas gauge and not the guessing game of the digital bars that can fluctuate.

SEAT: comfortable before and after the butler mod. it's a tad bit taller than I would like but not a distraction. When I test rode this one, the P.O. told my wife, wow, it looks like he has always ridden one. ( I still have to practice some more)

repairs: I am sure GW stands for GRAB WALLET. There are many of you RSV that can and do go out of your way to fix, repair, change or modify RSV. I have not found that camaraderie at all with any GW forum.

the previous owner was very generous with his after market set up. Kuryakyn up the wazoo, tulsa windshield, MUTH mirrors, ring of fire lights as well as trailer hitch, cargo carrier and bag. etc. ( I added and installed a superbrace and Ben's guardian bell) He also was very meticulous with his upkeep, maintenance ad even documented fuel stops and how much. I had NO DOUBT he took exceptional care of this machine.

The ride to and from the IR door to door was 1601 miles. The temperature gauge never budged. the oil was changed prior to leaving and never a drop lost. The cruise control is very nice as well and will not lose or bog down on hills. Many A time I had to decelerate because I was quickly catching up to those in front of me.

WHAT I DO NOT CARE FOR ALL THAT MUCH:

1- no Honda dealers close by, but I have been spoiled by the Yamaha/kawi dealer right down the road.

2- not a lot of metal. I have a tourmaster tank bag which was awesome at VOGEL, I cant use the magnetic flaps

3- hardly any real metal. Plastic parts almost remind me of an erector set.

4- the GW fanatics and the groups. they act snobby and think I should have matching everything to resemble them.

5- I am about 3/4-1 inch shorter than I would like. My feet touch the ground but not as solid footing as with the RSV. Rick Butler worked the seat but did not change the height.

6- not loud ( pipes) my rock, metal, 80's hair band and 70's disco on the MP3 player more than let you know I'm a coming...

well, there ya have it. 2 stories in one. The GW update for those that were wondering and wanted to know my thoughts, and to straighten out any misconceptions about who got dropped on his head as an infant. I hope that some of you liked my assessment and GW update.

Thanks to BUDDY, ECK and BEN for their GW gifts...

Feel free to ask me any questions if you did not get the answers here.

Because so many of you are great story tellers and talkers who have done more riding than me, I just take a step back to allow you guys and gals to take the stage. that is how I learn, from you fine folks

Edited by Barrycuda

4- the GW fanatics and the groups. they act snobby and think I should have matching everything to resemble them.

Barry, about #4. I've found many friendly GW riders and many of them are on the board here. I ride with several other GW riders and they are just like the VR folks you know here. However, I did attend one GWRRA local chapter meeting and did not care for the group. They were nice people but I just wasn't into all of the organizational stuff they do. I would rather ride. The GW internet forums don't come close to this one in camaraderie. I guess they are just too big.

And don't let all of the plastic bother you. It's snaps off and on easy enough. Once you learn how, working on the GW is just as easy as the Venture, except the air cleaner.

Dennis

Barry, about #4. I've found many friendly GW riders and many of them are on the board here. I ride with several other GW riders and they are just like the VR folks you know here. However, I did attend one GWRRA local chapter meeting and did not care for the group. They were nice people but I just wasn't into all of the organizational stuff they do. I would rather ride. The GW internet forums don't come close to this one in camaraderie. I guess they are just too big.

And don't let all of the plastic bother you. It's snaps off and on easy enough. Once you learn how, working on the GW is just as easy as the Venture, except the air cleaner.

Dennis

Dennis,

thanks for reaching out. the GW riders associated here are fantastic. Buddy, Eck, Brake pad are exceptional people. I was referring to the bigger GW groups, where I do not think I would fit in well. I see how they are at events and I just find it to be more of a personality mismatch. they may be decent people, and several GW riders are cool. But like every group, you get those that go over the top. that's what I was referring to.

First off, thank you everyone for allowing me to be part of the VR family. As you can see in the video, the camera does add about 30 pounds to my already svelte frame. that said, let me add what really is going on...

BEN ROLLINS: the bell was on when I went to the IR, Pic soon mate !!!

First: Buddy, I am glad you are doing well and replying back on VR forum. good to have you back.

2- Despite Sunn faulty and misleading accusations, he said some non truths. Repeatedly dropped on my head was his way of trying to fit in and belong. fact is, that just because I allow others to have more of an active role in TALKING, does not mean I don't have anything of value to say or contribute. I am, many things: father, husband, home owner, motorcyclist ( frequently ride to many events alone) former professional drummer ( yes, paid, recorded albums, on the road, that was my job), College graduate (while working 2 jobs), firearm licensed and diving into my own bullet making, active in jiu jitsu, Fillipino weapons training ( kali, escrima and arnis), JKD and CQB, ( some of my friends and instructors are internationally known) as well as being able to be laid back, enjoy a good book, a good beer. I am a loyal friend, but also one who does not like to be taken advantage of. ( unless on Puc video camera) what I am not is...someone who was dropped on his head. NICE TRY FELIX!!

Back to the Goldwing saga...

TRUE: I did sit on Buddy and Peg's GW at the 2013 dresden BBQ. True: Eck and Konnie were and still are awesome. True: I wanted a GW once I found out it was another reliable bike that had reverse and fuel injection. ( My Kawasaki 1500 is almost 15 years old and is FI) but I digress...

About 1.5 years ago, I was "test riding" a 2010 GW level 3 ( ABS ) and prior to that the vulcan voyager. The fine folks at barneys of Brooksville, allowed me to make the test run all day. after filling it up twice and establishing 409 miles, I was hooked. I was making serious low speed U turns, and it took off like a rocket. The stereo system was head and shoulders above my beloved Raspberry Tart and I thought that was going to be the bike. I was torn...

My 2003 took me to Dresden, TN, there and back in the torrential rain: no issues. Took me to the Georgia mountains to VOGEL and Tail of the dragon, again in the rain and again no issues. Was I just wanting the next piece of eye candy? You guys and the bike were REAL good to me. I learned how to carb sync from Steve K, and after confiding in him I elected to take his advice and ride her some more.... I even had a VERY nice phone call from Yammer Dan when it turned out another Florida RSV same as mine was involved in a MVA, and he was checking on me. that was really really cool considering much of my own family I do not associate with .

However, the GW was an itch I HAD TO SCRATCH. I like to try and learn new things, to explore and expand. I wanted to see if the GW was for me. If it isn't, then no big deal because I know which bike I can go back to. I had to see if this was for me... Right now, I am not having any real regrets. I gain in some areas and lose in others. the main attraction to the GW was the handling, reverse, fuel injection and reliability.

Here is my 2500 mile update regarding the GW

while at times I do sincerely miss my RSV, considering all we did to maker her special and unique, right now I am enjoying the GW. Here are some differences I noticed right away:

Fuel injection mean no carb/ gas smell in the garage. it also means rocket ship like take off at green lights. It is still something I have to get used to, because in a flash, I am bolting off the line, not meaning to leave my brothers and sisters behind. I am working on perfecting my throttle response.

bike is VERY nimble and responsive. You don't have to use a lot of energy to turn the handle bars. In the beginning I found the bike staying off course because I moved my shoulder/ arms too much when looking at things from the side. was WEIRD! but that's how responsive and sensitive they are...

Low center of gravity: it is not top heavy and moves easily with tractor trailers blowing by me. it also does have better low speed maneuvering, although to be fair, I have perfected that with the RSV after taking the RLAP course with the RSV.

ABS brakes: Came in handy on our return trip, as we were heading on to I-185, I was the lead bike and a full sized Doe with the baby came flying across me, and I slowly but firmly applied the brakes. ABS: THANK YOU

6 cylinders vs V4 mean it sips a few more drops of fuel, but I like the gas gauge and not the guessing game of the digital bars that can fluctuate.

SEAT: comfortable before and after the butler mod. it's a tad bit taller than I would like but not a distraction. When I test rode this one, the P.O. told my wife, wow, it looks like he has always ridden one. ( I still have to practice some more)

repairs: I am sure GW stands for GRAB WALLET. There are many of you RSV that can and do go out of your way to fix, repair, change or modify RSV. I have not found that camaraderie at all with any GW forum.

the previous owner was very generous with his after market set up. Kuryakyn up the wazoo, tulsa windshield, MUTH mirrors, ring of fire lights as well as trailer hitch, cargo carrier and bag. etc. ( I added and installed a superbrace and Ben's guardian bell) He also was very meticulous with his upkeep, maintenance ad even documented fuel stops and how much. I had NO DOUBT he took exceptional care of this machine.

The ride to and from the IR door to door was 1601 miles. The temperature gauge never budged. the oil was changed prior to leaving and never a drop lost. The cruise control is very nice as well and will not lose or bog down on hills. Many A time I had to decelerate because I was quickly catching up to those in front of me.

WHAT I DO NOT CARE FOR ALL THAT MUCH:

1- no Honda dealers close by, but I have been spoiled by the Yamaha/kawi dealer right down the road.

2- not a lot of metal. I have a tourmaster tank bag which was awesome at VOGEL, I cant use the magnetic flaps

3- hardly any real metal. Plastic parts almost remind me of an erector set.

5- I am about 3/4-1 inch shorter than I would like. My feet touch the ground but not as solid footing as with the RSV. Rick Butler worked the seat but did not change the height.

6- not loud ( pipes) my rock, metal, 80's hair band and 70's disco on the MP3 player more than let you know I'm a coming...

well, there ya have it. 2 stories in one. The GW update for those that were wondering and wanted to know my thoughts, and to straighten out any misconceptions about who got dropped on his head as an infant. I hope that some of you liked my assessment and GW update.

Thanks to BUDDY, ECK and BEN for their GW gifts...

Feel free to ask me any questions if you did not get the answers here.

Because so many of you are great story tellers and talkers who have done more riding than me, I just take a step back to allow you guys and gals to take the stage. that is how I learn, from you fine folks

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

VERY VERY WELL PUT MY FRIEND!!!

Barry, I LOVED reading every word of your story, both personal and about your bike (s)!! All joking and teasing aside (I can really get carried away with that,, another charector flaw on my part that really comes out around people I love), it was an honor getting to see you again at the International and meeting your brother. It was also a real pleasure to get to see your new bike (WOW) in person!!

Love ya brother!

Puc

PS - I knew you were never dropped as a baby, unlike mine - your heads to symetrical.. About the weight my camera added,,,, well I cant speak to that cause it always makes me look better:confused24::rotf:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

VERY VERY WELL PUT MY FRIEND!!!

Barry, I LOVED reading every word of your story, both personal and about your bike (s)!! All joking and teasing aside (I can really get carried away with that,, another charector flaw on my part that really comes out around people I love), it was an honor getting to see you again at the International and meeting your brother. It was also a real pleasure to get to see your new bike (WOW) in person!!

Love ya brother!

Puc

PS - I knew you were never dropped as a baby, unlike mine - your heads to symetrical.. About the weight my camera added,,,, well I cant speak to that cause it always makes me look better:confused24::rotf:

Thank you for taking time to read it Puc. I know y'all just messing around. I thoroughly enjoy seeing you and the misses. Make sure if you hit the sunshine state, you drop me a line...till next time.

Barry I know kind of what you mean on the group dynamics thing. I would like to find a group to ride with but most I have seen around here seem to be more interested in riding up the road to the nearest pub and spending a couple hours then down the road to the next one. thats ot my bag. So I still look on occasion. The group here, although some have branched off to other bikes all have had a common point of the Venture or Tour Deluxe.

Its good we can poke fun at each other and not want to bring a lawsuit. You look for the wind up and the pitch. Then sit back and work n a comeback.

Its been good getting to know all the Fla group. Now if UPS or Fedex who ever has Retiredgolfers Hagon shock would deliver it I can get him out and riding.

Cant give him to much grief. I can only imagine how much I would get in return if I find a bargain priced Victory and swap.

Edited by djh3

Sure have to agree with you there, Barry. I am a member of gl1800riders.com, as are Eck, MidRsv, and some others around here. The only reason I joined was to be able to access all of the maintenance and troubleshooting information and to ask questions if necessary. There are some real snots on that site...as well as some really good people. After awhile you learn who is who, and go from there. There are some guys who really go the extra mile to help others, just as most here do. Their help has been invaluable to me. I stay away from the jerks. :whistling:

I actually let my membership here expire back in April, thinking that I'd just utilize the wing forum more. Well, that didn't last. Even though the wing forum is very informational, I missed the "characters" around here. :D Had to re-up and join back in, glad I did.

I've done a lot of work on my wings over the years, and would certainly be willing to help if you ever need it. Congratulations on your new ride!!!

Joe