IGNORED

Centerstand drag?

'88VR (Gen1/MkII) 2-up riding, rear susp @ 65psi, damping adj set to #4, and the centerstand 'foot' drags the pavement on hard leaning L&R turns. Is this usual and customary for first contact on hard leans? Centerstand funtions normally and checked it for any abnormalities and found none....just new scrape marks from kissing the pavement:detective:

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have always dragged a peg and never the center sand on my 88. But then I have never been 2 up.

Try putting a tie strap on your center stand to be sure that you do not have a weak spring that is letting the stand sag with the G force generated in a hard turn.

Pete

I used to drag my second gen center stand. So I ground off the leading edge of the offending foot. That's the center stand foot not my foot. I was afraid it might catch and anchor me. It hasn't dragged since.

Mike

I am having the same problem when carrying a passenger on my '92

My '85 (80k+ miles) has had stuff removed and feels 50 lbs lighter than the '92

The thing does not drag anything (55 PSI) until I've run out of tread on my E-III tire.

It does have Progressive fork springs and the front sits a little higher than stock.

The '92 (30k original miles) drags the center stand (74 PSI) when I turn into my neighborhood at walking speed. I removed the rubber stoppers that held the center stand off of the mufflers (non-stock mufflers) and gained a little clearance. Not enough.

This really bugs me . . . :(

The First Gen VR does not use dog-bones like my Ninja.

It has a wishbone lower arm.

Has anyone tried to shim/spacer the rear suspension?

What about flipping the wishbone?

For anyone wanting to make their center stand pull up a little tighter, you do not need a stronger spring, you need to make an adjustment on the "G" shaped linkage. What you want to do is shorten the distance between the two holes. The way I did this was to put in a large vise perpendicularly and tighten the vise. You may want to measure the distance between the holes before and after so you don't bend it too much. If you only have a small vise, you can clamp one end in the vise and use a hammer to hit the other end.

I ran into this when I shortened my center stand a half inch and it worked fine. If you have not shortened your center stand, you will only want to bend the linkage a little or you will have a hard time putting the spring back on.

To take the linkage off, all you have to do is unclip the spring and the linkage will slide off the pin on the frame. You will want to do this with the bike on the center stand as this is when the spring is at the least tension.

RandyA

I'm having the same issue with my center-stand. BUT! It only started after putting the new engine in it. After doing some more looking, I noticed that the rear muffler clamp on the driver's side was in a position as to not allow the center-stand to fully retract back up to where it should be. When it quits raining, I'm going out to fix it.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the same issue with my center-stand. BUT! It only started after putting the new engine in it. After doing some more looking, I noticed that the rear muffler clamp on the driver's side was in a position as to not allow the center-stand to fully retract back up to where it should be. When it quits raining, I'm going out to fix it.

Bill

This happened to me as well. Once I turned the clamp so it was out of the way the stand went all the way up and never dragged again