IGNORED

Painting Advise Needed

MikeWa

I am hoping for some advise from someone more familiar with painting than I am.

I am painting the spoiler for my new to me bike.

1. Do I sand between coats?

2. Do I sand before the clear coat?

3. Do I sand after the clear coat and then polish?

Thanks

Mike

No sanding, only wipe with tack cloth after 15 min. dry time on color, nothing after clearcoat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fBWTsdJC4#t=251]ColorRite Aerosol Instructional Video - YouTube[/ame]

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Thanks Pete

That is very close to what I ended up doing. I did not have the wax remover. So I sanded and painted. After fifteen minutes I applied a second coat and finally after another fifteen minutes I applied a third coat. Just as I was preparing for the clear coat I noticed a scratch right in the middle of my piece. Bummer. So I waited until this morning and started over. I sanded until the scratch was gone. Did a very fine finish sanding and applied the first coat of paint. It turned dull. Bummer. So I set the paint cans out in the sunlight for a little warm up. I applied a second coat and it dried shinny. After fifteen minutes I applied the third and last coat. All went well. Finally after about twenty minutes I applied the clear coat. Whew all done.

Mike

PS As a side note I have to say the Color-Rite spray paint was the best rattle can paint I have ever used. It sanded easily. Dried right on time (very quickly). It also looks good.

Edited by MikeWa

Mike.......... does the label on the can give any indication if the paint is lacquer, acrylic enamel, latex or what? What chemical does it indicate to use for cleanup.....paint thinner, acetone, water, etc? This info is not readily available online....or I just didn't find it.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

That is a good question Pete. The can does not say. Does not identify the paint as lacquer or enamel. There are no clean-up instructions. It does say "contents partially unknown". I also found where it says "do not sand between coats". Therefore I have concluded it is a secret formula known only to Color-Rite and no one else. The black paint calls for UCA150 clear coat but for all I know that is a Color-Rite number. Oh found it. It is Urethane.

Mike