IGNORED

fuel pump

Is the problem the points?

having been on most of the threads on this topic I purchased new points and installed them after coming to a stop next to the fast lane at 80mph 2 up. I took off the side cover - tapped the black cover of the fuel pump and it started clicking - and rode it home - in the slow lane. Then bought the points and 5000 miles later same pump working fine, just the points were VERY bad.

Look at the uneven wear after only 15k miles on my 07 RSV

Replacement points are $30 ! My local Yamaha dealer service manager says that on his personal bikes- KTM has same pump and same problem - he puts on new points, but as Service Manager of a Yam dealer he can only recommend the whole pump

K&L Supply Universal Fuel Pump Point Switch Kit 18-4615 10090009

search on that on ebay - lowest I saw was $29 free shipping just now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/ihavethespirit/Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Midnight%20Venture/wornpointsventure_zps3cc5dd48.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/ihavethespirit/Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Midnight%20Venture/workingonfuelpump_zps13cc4808.jpg

VentureFar...

Here is a thread for you to consider. I tried to list all the parts etc I used locally purchased at my Home Depot. Oh and by the way, while your in there might as well throw a fuel filter at it. I just changed one and its almost an exact fit. I write on it the date I change it so I can reference. duralast FF3330DL, Wix 33095 Fram G3606

I did read a couple posts on replacing the points. I suppose its an option. but with the positive failure rate (they all due sooner or later it looks like) I just doubled down on the cost and put the "pointless" pump in. I figure if mine broke down again, even if I had the points it would be in the middle of a rain storm or something.

I just checked my replacement points at 5k miles on them. They look brand new.

Anyone replacing the points remember it requires a single UNsolder and solder it is totally "gross " as opposed to fine soldering so make sure you have a way to solder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did read a couple posts on replacing the points. I suppose its an option. but with the positive failure rate (they all due sooner or later it looks like) I just doubled down on the cost and put the "pointless" pump in. I figure if mine broke down again, even if I had the points it would be in the middle of a rain storm or something.

FYI - I have 122k miles on my original fuel pump. Points still have their crosshatch on them.

(However, I carry a spare fuel pump with me just in case.)

RR

The pump on my 06 failed at 55,000 miles, and it was burned out points (replaced under warranty). I just checked the points on my 2000 MM and they look brand new still, I knew the original owner of the MM and I know he did not replace the pump or points. I am thinking around that 06 area they switched manufacturers or something, you hear more failed pumps/points on 06's and 07's than the earlier years.

Any chance the failures are from running out of fuel....pump cycles way faster with no fluid to move....points bouncing.

Lots of early RSVs on original pump. This high failure issue started around 2005. Maybe

design tweak made them weaker on the point assembly.

I don't know about the first 5000 miles on my 07Rsv but at 15,000 my points were shot and the fuel pump stopped working on the freeway. In the 10k miles I never ran out of gas in fact now at 20k I have never run out of gas. - ha - funny English language ran and run in the same sentence, both past tense and both not interchangeable.

VentureFar...

Maybe alignment of point set was bad from build...rather than the whole surface area of

point face delivering current it was arcing across.

Just seems odd that a relatively similiar design on the 1st gen gave great service.

I don't know about the first 5000 miles on my 07Rsv but at 15,000 my points were shot and the fuel pump stopped working on the freeway. In the 10k miles I never ran out of gas in fact now at 20k I have never run out of gas. - ha - funny English language ran and run in the same sentence, both past tense and both not interchangeable.

VentureFar...

I think 'ran' is past tense, and 'have run' is past perfect tense....

Any chance the failures are from running out of fuel....pump cycles way faster with no fluid to move....points bouncing.

Lots of early RSVs on original pump. This high failure issue started around 2005. Maybe

design tweak made them weaker on the point assembly.

Too add to your theory.

My 99 had no issues at all with over 80k miles. The 08 I just replaced the fuel pump with 40,000 miles and the points looked exactly like the photo.

I hit reserve a lot more with the 99 than I did with the 08.

Brad

• 4 years later...
Is the problem the points?

having been on most of the threads on this topic I purchased new points and installed them after coming to a stop next to the fast lane at 80mph 2 up. I took off the side cover - tapped the black cover of the fuel pump and it started clicking - and rode it home - in the slow lane. Then bought the points and 5000 miles later same pump working fine, just the points were VERY bad.

Look at the uneven wear after only 15k miles on my 07 RSV

Replacement points are $30 ! My local Yamaha dealer service manager says that on his personal bikes- KTM has same pump and same problem - he puts on new points, but as Service Manager of a Yam dealer he can only recommend the whole pump

K&L Supply Universal Fuel Pump Point Switch Kit 18-4615 10090009

search on that on ebay - lowest I saw was $29 free shipping just now

VentureFar...

The '09 I purchased a couple weeks ago is having fuel pump issues. Could be the points, relay or pump. Not sure at this point. Sometimes when I turn on the switch the pump will kick in but sometimes not. When it first happened, didn't realize I had an issue til I got about 1/4 mile down the road and engine was starving for fuel. It died and while still coasting, I popped clutch a few times and it started back up and ran file to and from work, a 44 mile trip. Did same thing again on Sunday and on Monday, so I have parked it and riding the '09 and will address the issue in the next few days. But from all I have read online, seems the points may be the culprit.

I have checked the same part listed above on eBay and it says it's not compatible with our 2nd Gen Ventures. Is it, or is it not? Here is a current link....

Universal Fuel Pump Kit 18-4615