IGNORED

Lessons learned from my crash

gibvel

Well, yesterday I was riding to Longmont to show someone my Virago that I was selling.

I-25 was crowded yesterday. I'd gotten in the left lane to pass had passed the last car on the right and was doing a couple head checks to gauge distance to pull back over into the right lane. Looked back and there was the rear of the SUV in front of me. No time to react, don't know if I pulled the front brakes or not. Remember hitting the SUV, turning and watching the bike go down but don't remember anything until I woke up and was looking through my helmet at people looking at me.

Long story short, I've got a few bumps and bruises a rash the size of a dime on one knee and about the size of a half dollar just under the other knee. No concusion, no broken bones. Got some knots on my right calf, right thigh and left shin. I'm able to walk, no upper body problems... that weren't there before the wreck from getting old :crackup:

Guys, I'm chalking this up as a miracle and thank the good lord that I'm still here with only minor aches and no head trauma.

Lesson 1: Always wear a helmet!!! It would have been a totally different storry had I not been wearing my helmet.

Lesson 2: Always wear protective clothing.

These are both things I swore to do!

Lesson 3: Always leave enough space from the cars in front and behind for the traffic situation.

This is one of those times in life when you search deep inside and try to determine if it's time to give up riding. At this point I don't think I can but there's always that voice in the back of your head, after something like this, that makes you think.

Guys, Please, ride safe and pay attention!! Things can happen soooo quickly!!

Luck doesn't rear it's head as often as it should, you were it its cradle at that moment. Glad you made it with minimal injuries.

How did the bike fare ?

Front smashed, right of the tank was smashed. Didn't get a really good look at it after that. Figure the insurance will probably total it though. Thing is this bike was low mileage, pristine before the wreck. :bawling:

WOW Gibby,, GLAD YOUR OK!! Its amazing how quickly things can go south aint it? Just a glimps off the traveling path,, just a millisecond at the wrong time...

Thanks for posting this up and reminding us all to be alert to our surroundings Gibby!!:backinmyday:

Heal quickly and fully my friend

Puc

WOW Gibby,, GLAD YOUR OK!! Its amazing how quickly things can go south aint it? Just a glimps off the traveling path,, just a millisecond at the wrong time...

Thanks for posting this up and reminding us all to be alert to our surroundings Gibby!!:backinmyday:

Heal quickly and fully my friend

Puc

Thank the good Lord you are able to share this with us and we pray that all will go well with the insurance company.

Trust me, I have thanked the good Lord a lot for giving me a big fat cushy angel to guard me. ;)

I guess we'll see how good Progressive is here in Colorado. They've helped me before with towing and there was no problem.

You ain't kidding Puc! Going that speed eats up a lot of space very quickly.

Lesson 1: Always wear a helmet!!! It would have been a totally different storry had I not been wearing my helmet.

Lesson 2: Always wear protective clothing.

These are both things I swore to do!

Lesson 3: Always leave enough space from the cars in front and behind for the traffic situation.

This is one of those times in life when you search deep inside and try to determine if it's time to give up riding. At this point I don't think I can but there's always that voice in the back of your head, after something like this, that makes you think.

Guys, Please, ride safe and pay attention!! Things can happen soooo quickly!!

good suggestions to drive by... glad your ok!

Mark,

So sorry to hear and so glad that you are not hurt. It truly is a miracle that you were not run over by another car or truck. The problem is that there are just too many people out here. I-25 is just one big parking lot from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins.

If you had left more room between you and the car ahead, some a-hole would have darted in there.

But, on the bright side, you didn't wreck the Venture.

Sure glad you came out of it relatively OK. AGATT -- All gear all the time is what I preach too. Good reminder to all. Some of us get complacent after 1000's of miles and decades of incident free riding - Everyone: mind your P's and Q's all the time.

VentureFar...

Super glad that you're ok.

Might I add another word? : When riding, there should be only one thing on your mind: Where am I going from here! That means every foot traveled could make a new immediate destination in the next short while.

Good to hear your ok bro! Sorry to hear about your bike though. I have been questioning my judgement as well with regard to riding again after my little mishap. Just feels so good when I am in the saddle can't not get back out there! Hope everything works out for you regarding the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk