IGNORED

Excessive Engine Whining

batcore

Just bought my first Yamaha Midnight Venture (04 - 30,000 km) after selling my reliable but noisey (straight piped) Roadstar. I already regret the Venture after 2 day rides. The 2 things I wanted to improve were the noise and comfort levels. Now I'm deaf and on edge over whether the bike will "die" again on any trip, therefor negating any "comfort" I perceived this "touring" model would provide.

There is an unbearable ear numbing high pitched whining from the engine make riding this bike completely un-enjoyable. I can't hear the radio over the whine and after 10 minutes, I'm all ready to sell the bike out of disappointment (and bleeding ears).

I've read some of the forum replies provided here and must say that if it is a costly (and not guaranteed) fix, then I'll be selling this thing pdq.

I was hoping to find a solution but it appears the Venture was a bad choice. I needed to vent. I'll be going back to a quiet cruiser if I can't get a reasonable explanation and fix after I visit the Yamaha dealership tomorrow.

I was on a group ride couple weeks ago and asked why a Honda rider used ear plugs under a full face helmet, and his response was the whining noise from the engine/transmission. I have no problem on my '88VR with 1/2 helmet open to all the sounds in the world.....like birds singing. Only time it gets 'noisy' is above 80 mph.... but that's just wind.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have riden a RSV with the clutch whine and it can be almost like a siren. Mine fortunately doesn't have it but many here have addressed the issue and Yamaha may be a source for a solution as they have acknowledged the problem. If you can get it resolved this is a very fine touring machine. Don't lose heart, it is fixable :fingers-crossed-emo

There have been many threads about excessive whine on this forum. There does not seem to be any consensus on what causes it. There are several possible cures. Each is discussed in detail. There is an improved clutch basket that helps some. Sometimes it is the differential that is noisy. In my case Changing my oil from synthetic back to Yamalube worked. It just took about a thousand miles on the Yamalube until the noise started to abate. The Venture is a fine and comfortable motorcycle. Best of luck with yours.

Mike

Thank you for those great replies. I'm headed over to the local Yamaha shop in the morning to troubleshoot for a solution. The oil change sounds like the simplest, but I'll bring up the other possible idea's to their mechanic.

Thanks again!

Based on the year of your machine, you wouldn't have the "updated" basket. You've probably read that the "i" basket has fixed it for some but being out of warranty you'll have to pay to get one and it may or may not fix it - this is due to the straight cut gears.

For others there was an alignment issue that was fixed with shims. Think there was a reference to a Yamaha bulletin about it. Again, it fixed it for some but not all.

Type of oil also made a difference for some.

Wish you luck with the dealer. If they've seen this before and are familiar with the Venture they may be able to help you.

As mentioned, the Venture is a great touring bike. With yours the whine is probably the only problem, but not necessarily an easy one to fix.

Mine seems to have a high whine from the clutch. I wear ear plugs and it's fine, but I too would prefer to rid myself of this noise.

Just bought my first Yamaha Midnight Venture (04 - 30,000 km) after selling my reliable but noisey (straight piped) Roadstar. I already regret the Venture after 2 day rides. The 2 things I wanted to improve were the noise and comfort levels. Now I'm deaf and on edge over whether the bike will "die" again on any trip, therefor negating any "comfort" I perceived this "touring" model would provide.

There is an unbearable ear numbing high pitched whining from the engine make riding this bike completely un-enjoyable. I can't hear the radio over the whine and after 10 minutes, I'm all ready to sell the bike out of disappointment (and bleeding ears).

I've read some of the forum replies provided here and must say that if it is a costly (and not guaranteed) fix, then I'll be selling this thing pdq.

I was hoping to find a solution but it appears the Venture was a bad choice. I needed to vent. I'll be going back to a quiet cruiser if I can't get a reasonable explanation and fix after I visit the Yamaha dealership tomorrow.

Ok here is what happened to my 2008 at about 20,000 miles. I changed the oil to Amsoil synthetic. Then after about 500 miles the whine started. But it was only in some gears at certain speeds. By 1,000 miles it was screaming so loudly I didn't want to ride the bike any longer. I was sure I had done perminate damage to the gears and that it was either the Amsoil or the gears just died at 20K. It was only a small risk to change the oil back to the much cheaper Yamalube. During the change I examined the outgoing Amsoil for residue from the engine or gears and thankfully did not see any.

After replacing the oil I took the bike for a test ride. The scream was still there. Hopeful that I had gotten to it in time I went ahead and rode the bike. After about 500 miles I thought I could tell a difference. At about a thousand miles I could definitely hear improvement. By two thousand miles the whine was quiet enough for normal riding. So I changed the oil again. Using Yamalube of course. Now thousands of miles later the whine is all but gone.

Best of luck to you in your chase to find a solution.

Mike

Edited by MikeWa

I've been lucky..

32k km on the TD. I've never heard anything resembling a whine.

10k km on the RSV. No whine.

I change the oil every 6k. Never anything but yamalube.

As long as this keeps working for me I'll keep doing it.

Please post details of you trip to the dealer

I would like to see what they recommend

feel your pain

My 06 tour deluxe has a slight whine

The Yamaha lube 20/50 semi synthetic helped fixed that

When I bought my 2000 Venture I based it on that

Boy was I wrong

here are a couple of links that may help.

One should take you to copies of the Yamaha service bulletins dealing with the issue, you may want to have copies of them with you when you talk to the dealer, just in case they are not aware of the issues, many dealers are completely ignorant when it comes to the Royal Star line.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=836882#post836882

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86055

I will gladly endure the incessant drone of a a high pitched venture over a high pitch bit....oh never mind thats lame and she has every reason with me around....sorry for your troubles hope it works out

• 2 weeks later...

Please, put non-synthetic gear lube in the final drive (Bel-Ray Hypoid Gear Oil) again, final drive only. If it has had synthetic in it, switch back to YamaLube and drive it for thousands of miles. Conversely, if it has Yamalube in it switch to Mobil 1 10-40 Rt motorcycle oil. Always use Yamaha filters, I don't trust the market in regards to that. I just bought a new one myself, and switched the final drive to synthetic and it started bad. Drained it right away and went to the dealer and got the aforementioned lube. Much better!! It will most likely always have that whine in certain gear and speed and throttle ranges. Nature of the beast, but not ear busting. Also, now your locked in to the sound. If it gets better, relax and quit doing what I do. Dear Gosh, was that a louder squeal??? These are incredible bikes. I could have bought a GW, nope. I did put the links on and that made a huge difference in handling. David

Having read a lot of these "whining" threads here is what I have sorted out.

If its at one certain RPM or speed usually around 35-45 mph range in 3rd or 4th its clutch (basket) related.

If its constant at highway speeds it more than likely rear differential related. At your highway speed and it making noise say 60 in 4th, give it some throttle. does it get louder? Now at same speed just ease off throttle a little does it get better? then its probably in the diff.

I test rode a 2002 Kawasaki Voyager with 34k miles in 2009. It was clean and the owner wanted $4k for it, a good deal I thought. But the transmission whined really loud, too loud for me to think of buying it. I'm glad my 89 Venture does not whine.

What dkh3 said it correct. Why do I know? I had 5 rear ends and one clutch basket put on my bike before 30,000 miles. The first whine was corrected with the "I" basket at about 16,000 miles. When the rear dif was the problem the bike would be screaming at high speeds, 60 to 80 mph. The faster I went the louder it became. Today I have 67,000 miles on my bike and I get just a little whine at 80mph. If I go below or above 80 the whine goes away. The factory rep that yamaha sent to look at my bike said they got some bad rear difs from the company that mfg them for yamaha.

• 7 years later...

Good day, just bought a royal star venture 2000, i was not used to the engine noise, so i was recommend to put semi- synthetic oil 20-50, which did improve noise level below ~ 90 km / h. The bike has only 33 K km, and as per reading the note - noise may go lower in time. Any word of advice? The shop used Belray semi synthetic 20- 50 for the engine. Thank you.

First let me welcome you to the site. Also if your free on Aug 6th some of us Ontario members are hoping to have a little get together in Paris. You should come and introduce yourself.

As far as the whine goes it is pretty much a normal thing with these bikes. Some have replaced the clutch basket but I believe many of us myself included just learned to live with it. 

12 minutes ago, Adrien Leduc said:

Sound good - what time and where do you guys meet. My e mail is : adrien8826@gmail.com or text at 647 961-0777

First stop is 1pm, Tim Hortons on the South side of Paris - Rest Acres Rd. from there we trip over to,

Twisted Treats, 79 King Edward Street, Paris Ontario, Canada.

https://paristwistedtreats.ca/