IGNORED

wrecked this weekend, got a ?

gsmski3484

so there i was. riding home from the Tail of the Dragon. about a 515 mile ride home. around 1300 miles in three days. 10 miles from home my back tires blows. needless to say i went down at about 65 mph on the interstate. Apparently this wasn't too fast for my guardian angel as i didn't break anything, don't need surgery (as of now) and didn't have all that much road rash. pretty much as lucky as i could be. Now i had a '96 Royal Star with about every Yamaha add-on you could buy, aftermarket exhaust, grips, handlebars. this morning the insurance guy told me it was totaled. can anyone tell me about how much i should be getting for this claim? any help would be greatly appreciated. i won't find out until mMonday or Tuesday what they come up with, but in between now and then i'll need to know what price range i can look for a new bike in! thanks a bunch.

First of all remove ALL aftermarket parts!!!! Your Ins Company is only going to pay you for the bike as it was BEFORE any parts where added!!!!! :crying: How bad is the bike? Is it repairable? It may be cheaper for you to do a by back and fix the bike with the rest of the money!! :backinmyday: Just something to think about!!! :eek:

Glad you are not hurt!!!

Usually once the bike is impounded, the insurance company pretty much owns it. So stripping anything off is slim. but I believe you are allowed to recover personal items. So if it had bags on it you could get whats in them and maybe get your GPS. Something like that.

How bad off is the bike? would it be something you would want back on a salvage title for say $1500? sometimes they will give you first shot at buying your scoot back. but then you have something with a salvage title and no resale to be sure. Lots of decent bikes on the forum here, and you know most of them take care of the maintenance on them.

Glad your OK.

I will bet you have accessory coverage. I have $4000 on mine that is included on the policy. Also find 3 or 4 bikes like yours for sale and get the prise the add the full retail prise of everything you added and negotiate from there with the insurance company

Yikes. Glad you came through ok. I just had my bike totaled by my insurance company. I was able to remove all of my add-on's. The bike is still yours do do with as you please until you turn over the title to the insurance company. Then it is theirs. They will not pay you until they get the paperwork. Out of courtesy I made my adjuster aware of what I was going to do as soon as the word total came up.

Mike

You can take anything off the bike that you added, it's still your property until you settle the claim. good if you can be their when the appraiser is there. I stripped everything they would not pay for on mine. they will just sell it to a salvage place. check how much they will give you with and without you keeping the bike.

ok, they came with an offer. a low offer. then i submitted every add on with price and part number. today that came back with their new offer. lets say doing your homework and finding all those numbers paid off. literally. the estimate went up significantly. enough for me to buy an 07 RSTD and have 1500 left over. unfortunatly i doubt my shoulder will be healed from the wreck until well after i pick up the 07... Monday. regardless i am one happy camper.

WOW GS - GLAD YOUR OK BROTHER!! I hate having flat tires, specially on motorcycles!!

My guess,, and its ONLY a guess (dont spend the money on another bike based on this), is between 2800 and 3400 if its the Royal Star, 3100 to 3700 if it the Royal Star Touring Classic...

I have friends who have totaled bikes, the ones who had the bikes towed to their homes after the collisions were able to remove add on parts, the ones who's bikes got towed to a garage/service center were unable to do so..

I agree with the suggestion to see what buy back is BUT, if you decide to buy it back dont forget it will be coming with a "salvage title" probably and that doesnt help in resale on a restored bike.. Not to discourage, just to inform...

Again, glad your ok my friend!

Puc

ok, they came with an offer. a low offer. then i submitted every add on with price and part number. today that came back with their new offer. lets say doing your homework and finding all those numbers paid off. literally. the estimate went up significantly. enough for me to buy an 07 RSTD and have 1500 left over. unfortunatly i doubt my shoulder will be healed from the wreck until well after i pick up the 07... Monday. regardless i am one happy camper.

CONGRATS!!! Let us know if we need to start watching for that 07!!

yes, i was VERY fortunate. fortunate i didn't get hit by a car, didn't break anything, didn't need surgery, that my rogue-unmanned-800 lb sliding rocket didn't hit anyone else. Also fortunate for that retired Marine in the car behind be was there to help out. thank you guys for all the support as well. the only pain i have left is in my shoulder (torn AC joint) and some tenderness in my side. other than that i'm almost back to normal. i think the shoulder might take some time though.

As far as the tire, i don't know what brand it was to be honest. i do know i checked it the day before (as well as pressure) and it wasn't bad. not nearly bad enough to raise concern. i think i hit something just right honestly, but i don't think i'll ever know for sure.

I did take some things off the bike, which i let the insurance guy know about. he said it was fine, and didn't effect the claim. a decent amount was damaged in the crash, more than i originally thought after i had a second look at it.

Arrangements have been made for the 07. i pick it up on monday. unfortunately i don't know when my shoulder will let me ride, but i can tell you one thing, by the time i can, that's gonna be the cleanest RSTD around!