IGNORED

How many have ran a CT on a 1st Gen ?

KIC

What could have killed me...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190522/7f48ea77b9869007a72dc36faec12479.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sure justification for following the owner's manual concerning inspectying your bike before each ride. If that were a car's tire I'd say you have bad shocks. That would be a severe case of cupping. CT? Circuit Tester? Cannibals Tanks? OH CAR TIRES! Car tires are no way designed to have their side walls on the road as are MC tires. I don't know what car tire you could use on a standard Venture wheel, maybe a Model A tire or some front tires off a Dragster car. Dang bro! inspect them tires!

Ok, this HAS to be solved.

I'm so pissed about having to plunk down $130 for a OEM Dunlop (included mounting & balancing) and looking at limited miles. Yet others (Wingers) have solved this issue with glowing reports. I drive the PISS out of my bike and I want things to last. It's time to solve this ETERNAL question because there's us in here that just damn well aren't going to give up our first gen machines unless pried out of our dead hands OR lottery happens.

That being said, one person posted a size on Darksiders for the 89VR (which I have) but NEVER posted if it's a confirm working fit or not. I mean, COME ON!!!! We all know that DS'ing 2nd gens work...and just for the plain poop of it I want to know.

One guy in this tread talked about someone had done it but failed to discuss the size of the tire only to say that the bead was off????

So, I'm planning to get my expensive metric calipers out since I've got the ENTIRE a$$ end of my bike dismantled and I'm going to take pictures and start running numbers to start tracking this down. I want to solve this. Right now I'm just stuck with this bike. I've never changed a tire before and don't have the equipment at home, but I've told my wife I'm pissed about this after what just happened to me (I'll post a pic) and you'll understand why I'm motivated to solve this.

You can get a manually operated tire changing machines on Amazon.com and you'll "make money" (the machines will pay for themselves the first time you change the second tire) the first time you change 2 tires. Harbor Freight has a M/C tire balancer that works, it'll pay for itself after 2 tires as well maybe 4 tires. This is when you can change your own tires you can now spend what you paid some one else to do on better tires or more beer!

So, the replacement I got for that screwed-up tire was a D404 @ $130 (mounting & balancing) at a local shop. So, I was cool with that until I just read someone saying that those tires have CRAP for wear.

Great. This was my first tire change and it was pure living HELL. I had about 7+ HOURS involved!!! But, before you guys freak let me explain that a previous owner had a lot of 'dressings' on this bike and they're attached EVERYWHERE. With no help, being overweight, it was a slow fight. Additional problems came up and had to remove BOTH bags because of the dressings and that's what got me. But, at least I have an a/c in the garage to keep me cool.

Still, now I'm frustrated with saying that I just spent $130 and I'm working part-time. I was reading about a size that cowpuc suggested (175R16) and this is a proven CT from what I'm reading from other forums (see: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/697021-175r16-car-tire-for-the-07-ultra.html).

This having been said, I got my bike together and didn't take the measurements I was wanting to get. I know I've got to get it back on center stand and now that I've got it installed ((and not frustrated/tired from the install)) I can now try to get measurements with a new tire hung under there with

My question is this: Is ANYONE interested in solving this problem? Or has everyone resigned to just sticking with MC tires and this is a lost cause of nothing but wishful thinking?

Cowpuc: I'd really like you to weigh in on this. Personally, I think this would be safe to do. I know that you've got some of the MOST experience with this bike and I know you've put more miles than I could possibly even think about on these bikes. I'm not that type of rider. However, if I have to spend the $$$ but I get a tire that WORKS and LASTS then that's better for me.

IF I was working F/T then it'd be no problem for me to go out and get everything I need (equipment). But, after being unemployed since 2017 and now just working a p/t job, despite the pay I'm not able to go full-blast to get this project moving. I know that I have the prefect testing ground here at home (US Hwy 90). It's just been repaved by the govt. and it's smooth as glass. It's a 45MPH road, so it's going to allow for being able to test a change at low speed from the house to work and my normal screwing around on the coast.

SO HERE"S WHAT I"M PROPOSING----------------------------

We all know this can be done but cost is the factor. ALL of us could stand to reap the benefits! All we just need to know is what works.

I purpose that we all come together and here's what we do:

1. We have to take pictures and measurements.
  2. We come together to agree on the BEST tire that we're willing to say will work.
  3. We need someone to volunteer to be the tester.
  4. This person will need to have all the equipment to do the install on their Gen1 and already have a spare rear rim.
  5. We find that tire size and total cost.
  6. We agree to PayPal the money to the 'tester' for them to order the tire.
  7. Cost of the tire will be a minimum donation of $20. I'm willing to front that just for ****s-and-giggles!!!
  8. Tester will purchase the tire, mount, balance, install, and give it a whirl!
  9. Final results by tester will be posted of initial impressions & first ride.

Cowpuc, I know you have tons of experience dealing with tires on these bikes. I know you've helped me in the past and I really want to convert to a car tire. You're one of the most trusted members on the board, so I was wondering if you'd be game to do this. If you can't, then I know that I would, but I don't have the tire changing equipment and I need a spare rear tire rim.

The previous tire size was around $160 so we need eight people to jump in and say they'll donate the $20 for this. I'm in so now we need 7.

We all know that any information would be that...information only. No one would be legally in trouble, this is just us getting around, testing, and if you do it...the risk is on you!!!

I'm calling on all GEN 1 people to step up. Let's do this!!!

To be honest, I applaud what you want to do but really don't think it's going to work. There just isn't that much room underneath so the CT is going to be smaller than you might like. The one you linked to looks good, just wonder about wear and handling. My apologies about not jumping in earlier as I would have recommended the Shinko 777HD tire. It wears well and really handles nicely. So keep that in mind for next time...or not...if you are like me and really don't like doing that job. @cowpuc did it so often I bet he can still change a tire in his sleep! He is that good!

As far as taking the bike apart...yep...I always take off both side bags and both mufflers, then put her up on the centerstand and lay her down on her front forks. Gives me much more room underneath the rear to work on her.

And yes, I can understand your pain with all the bling on the bike. That's the primary reason I've kept mine somewhat stock. I just don't want to lay underneath there taking all the stuff on and off!

Wishing you luck on your endeavor...and glad you are done!

To be honest, I applaud what you want to do but really don't think it's going to work. There just isn't that much room underneath so the CT is going to be smaller than you might like. The one you linked to looks good, just wonder about wear and handling. My apologies about not jumping in earlier as I would have recommended the Shinko 777HD tire. It wears well and really handles nicely. So keep that in mind for next time...or not...if you are like me and really don't like doing that job. cowpuc did it so often I bet he can still change a tire in his sleep! He is that good!

As far as taking the bike apart...yep...I always take off both side bags and both mufflers, then put her up on the centerstand and lay her down on her front forks. Gives me much more room underneath the rear to work on her.

And yes, I can understand your pain with all the bling on the bike. That's the primary reason I've kept mine somewhat stock. I just don't want to lay underneath there taking all the stuff on and off!

VA - hey man...thanks for the quick reply. I agree with you. When I was doing my tire I was looking at it thinking about fitment with a CT. I was looking at the plastic splash shield and seeing just how NARROW it was. When I seen that, I starting thinking that it was a lost cause. If the splash shield (SS) was removed, I do think that having a CT would be workable because from what I seen that's the restrictive factor. However, I would like to know from those that have removed the SS because I haven't given this is my first time under there!

It's not finding a tire that's the problem, it's where it's going that just sucks.

Yet, we've all run into rain and the SS serves a purpose. Can we live without it? Can we just get a piece of plexi and cut-to-fit?

So far as wear...well...I'll take my chances...only way to move forward.

If the majority decision is to not move forward then I'm going to let this go. But, I've done reverse engineering projects before.

If the SS was removed, what tire would work that would fit the rim and give the space underneath?

VA - hey man...thanks for the quick reply.

If the SS was removed, what tire would work that would fit the rim and give the space underneath?

Welcome.

Can't help you there. Never even thought about it. Others have. Hopefully, others will chime in who have done that.

Edited by videoarizona
add

To be honest, I applaud what you want to do but really don't think it's going to work. There just isn't that much room underneath so the CT is going to be smaller than you might like. The one you linked to looks good, just wonder about wear and handling. My apologies about not jumping in earlier as I would have recommended the Shinko 777HD tire. It wears well and really handles nicely. So keep that in mind for next time...or not...if you are like me and really don't like doing that job. cowpuc did it so often I bet he can still change a tire in his sleep! He is that good!

Oh yeahhhhh,, I'm a regular legend,,, in my own mind :doh:.. :big-grin-emoticon:

So, the replacement I got for that screwed-up tire was a D404 @ $130 (mounting & balancing) at a local shop. So, I was cool with that until I just read someone saying that those tires have CRAP for wear.

Great. This was my first tire change and it was pure living HELL. I had about 7+ HOURS involved!!! But, before you guys freak let me explain that a previous owner had a lot of 'dressings' on this bike and they're attached EVERYWHERE. With no help, being overweight, it was a slow fight. Additional problems came up and had to remove BOTH bags because of the dressings and that's what got me. But, at least I have an a/c in the garage to keep me cool.

Still, now I'm frustrated with saying that I just spent $130 and I'm working part-time. I was reading about a size that cowpuc suggested (175R16) and this is a proven CT from what I'm reading from other forums (see: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/697021-175r16-car-tire-for-the-07-ultra.html).

This having been said, I got my bike together and didn't take the measurements I was wanting to get. I know I've got to get it back on center stand and now that I've got it installed ((and not frustrated/tired from the install)) I can now try to get measurements with a new tire hung under there with

My question is this: Is ANYONE interested in solving this problem? Or has everyone resigned to just sticking with MC tires and this is a lost cause of nothing but wishful thinking?

Cowpuc: I'd really like you to weigh in on this. Personally, I think this would be safe to do. I know that you've got some of the MOST experience with this bike and I know you've put more miles than I could possibly even think about on these bikes. I'm not that type of rider. However, if I have to spend the $$$ but I get a tire that WORKS and LASTS then that's better for me.

IF I was working F/T then it'd be no problem for me to go out and get everything I need (equipment). But, after being unemployed since 2017 and now just working a p/t job, despite the pay I'm not able to go full-blast to get this project moving. I know that I have the prefect testing ground here at home (US Hwy 90). It's just been repaved by the govt. and it's smooth as glass. It's a 45MPH road, so it's going to allow for being able to test a change at low speed from the house to work and my normal screwing around on the coast.

SO HERE"S WHAT I"M PROPOSING----------------------------

We all know this can be done but cost is the factor. ALL of us could stand to reap the benefits! All we just need to know is what works.

I purpose that we all come together and here's what we do:

1. We have to take pictures and measurements.
  2. We come together to agree on the BEST tire that we're willing to say will work.
  3. We need someone to volunteer to be the tester.
  4. This person will need to have all the equipment to do the install on their Gen1 and already have a spare rear rim.
  5. We find that tire size and total cost.
  6. We agree to PayPal the money to the 'tester' for them to order the tire.
  7. Cost of the tire will be a minimum donation of $20. I'm willing to front that just for ****s-and-giggles!!!
  8. Tester will purchase the tire, mount, balance, install, and give it a whirl!
  9. Final results by tester will be posted of initial impressions & first ride.

Cowpuc, I know you have tons of experience dealing with tires on these bikes. I know you've helped me in the past and I really want to convert to a car tire. You're one of the most trusted members on the board, so I was wondering if you'd be game to do this. If you can't, then I know that I would, but I don't have the tire changing equipment and I need a spare rear tire rim.

The previous tire size was around $160 so we need eight people to jump in and say they'll donate the $20 for this. I'm in so now we need 7.

We all know that any information would be that...information only. No one would be legally in trouble, this is just us getting around, testing, and if you do it...the risk is on you!!!

I'm calling on all GEN 1 people to step up. Let's do this!!!

1st things first CP,, alllll my opinion in this matter is centered around my MK1 (83/84) experiences,, I have VERY little MK2 (86 up) experience BUT - I did play with a parts bike for a bit and, even though there are some differences in back sides = I dont believe its enough to make a difference in being able to run a car tire,, maybe though..

The tire that Bill (Jakester) and I are discussing in the video below is the closest I found to being able to squeeze onto a 1st Gen but even it would not work. There just is not enough room both frame wise and swing arm wise to accomadate a CT on one. The little splash plate is not the issue,, its the actual frame work design itself.. The contour of a 140/90x16 motorcycle tire fits it perfectly.. Could it be redesigned/altered to work,, DEFINITELY!!

One of the main reasons that I never did pursue doing so though is the difficulty of "spooning" on/off a CT after all the work.. You sort of touch on my line of thinking in your comment about having to much add on stuff on the bike = I have always ran my bikes with minimal bling/add ons cause I liked the advantage of being able to pull a back tire in less then 20 minutes. This also applies to spooning on/off a tire = my line of thought was always the concern of having a flat on a roadside in 105 degree desert outback and not being able to get a tire off the wheel,,, and then,, end up a shop somewhere and have to pay the big bucks to have someone do my work for me only to find out they wouldnt touch the thing cause it was a CT on bike wheel. I just gave up on the project..

I have ran inexpensive Shinko's/Full Bore's/Kenda's and the like for years and, even though I do have to swap out tires on the road when chasing coast to coast the ease of spooning em on and off is luxurious IMHO. Here toward the end of my touring days I did get talked into trying a high end ($300 tire retail) dual compound E4 that so far is proving worthy if talking mileage. My worst mileage cheap tire was the 404 (burned off two of them in less than 8k miles on one trip BEFORE getting to the west coast!!) and all the others fell under 6k BUT remember = desert riding 2 up and packin is hard on tires. This E4 has well over 9k on it now and it still looks brand new.. Problem with the E4 is it is almost as hard to spoon on as a CT,, it DEFINITELY will take a tire machine to get off = its that solid and heavy.. We are pretty much done with touring on two wheels because of health but if we were not and we were still CTFW all over North America I would never run a tire I could not get on and off on the side of the road,, I just would not do it (I know,, I am WAYYYYY to old school for my own good).

By the way,, I ran Avons for a spell,, never had that happen with em but did on Metz's.. I also have a really close friend who had the same thing happen on Metz's and almost cost some severe injury in their case (Squid and Lonna).. Thru my experience and theirs (and others) = no more Metz's for this guy = to many other tires to choose from.. I do know for a fact that in my case the tire it happened on was monitored daily for air pressures (nasty habit of mine) and wear and it just decided to come unglued out in the California heat = garbage tire period,, IMHO of course..

Edited by cowpuc