IGNORED

A rat in a RSV air filter?

YamahaLarry

I have owned my '99 RSV for just over 2 months now, put maybe 3k miles on it. This weekend I finally got around to doing some checking on things that I had not had time to do and one was to check the air filters to see if they needed cleaning or replacing.

Got into the left side first and when I cracked the case open I saw a wad of bits of paper and rat pellets. No rat though. The PO let it set for several months without being started/driven, so it seems that a small rat must have found it's way into the filter area and tried to chew his way further.

With no filter on hand, and I ride every day, I cleaned it all real well and patched the area with duct tape so no unfiltered air can get into the carbs. Really hoping no damage has been done. I don't think there has.

The hole was on the back end of the filter and was maybe 1/2 x 1 inch at it's broadest points. The right side looked fine and looked almost new.

Still ordering 2 filters just so I can sleep better.

Anyone else ever have a rat in your air filter? Should have taken a pic, but didn't.

Lots of times I have picked up old bikes that have mice nests in the airboxes.. Not sure about actual rats but mice nests - lots of em.. For some reason, and no idea why, those little buggers love air boxes and sometimes exhaust pipes,, no idea what the draw (pun intended) is..

The worst thing as a result that I have experienced is ruined carbs from their urine, those varmints go potty all the time.. I can see though that if the bike was ran and some of the nest was drawn into the intake further problems could and would result.. I make it a point to always check airboxes on bikes I get in for restore 1st thing and have avoided major problems a couple times by doing so.. This applies to all power equipment..

Sounds to me like you caught it in time and a new filter is all ya need to be back in business.. A whole that small sealed off good should be fine till your new filter comes in.. That and getting all that nasty stuff out of there.. You also might wanna double check the wiring in the area for chew marks,, them buggers like chewing wires too!!

I have been told that storing with fabric softner sheets stuffed in pipes and air intakes will keep em away.. Might be worth googling.. Now that they have been in there it wouldnt surprise me that other rodents will come in cause of the smell they leave..

Hope this helps, glad ya checked it!

Puc

Never in the bike but several times we have found mouse nests in the snowmobile airbox when doing our fall prep, it's truly amazing how much cracked corn a mouse can pack into an airbox! I think he was planing to stay awhile:mad:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I would guess it was a mouse, not a rat, unless you have some smaller than usual version of rats down there. Like Puc, I have had mice chew the wiring in my fairing, twice I think. I've tried the fabric softener sheets, but they have failed me. I now ride with a few moth balls inside the fairing. Once in a great while I smell them, but I have not had a problem since they went in there.:fingers-crossed-emo

Larry

I have owned my '99 RSV for just over 2 months now, put maybe 3k miles on it. This weekend I finally got around to doing some checking on things that I had not had time to do and one was to check the air filters to see if they needed cleaning or replacing.

Got into the left side first and when I cracked the case open I saw a wad of bits of paper and rat pellets. No rat though. The PO let it set for several months without being started/driven, so it seems that a small rat must have found it's way into the filter area and tried to chew his way further.

With no filter on hand, and I ride every day, I cleaned it all real well and patched the area with duct tape so no unfiltered air can get into the carbs. Really hoping no damage has been done. I don't think there has.

The hole was on the back end of the filter and was maybe 1/2 x 1 inch at it's broadest points. The right side looked fine and looked almost new.

Still ordering 2 filters just so I can sleep better.

Anyone else ever have a rat in your air filter? Should have taken a pic, but didn't.

Dirt dabers, mice and pine straw. No actual rats.

Good thing I have a 1st gen, the critters can't seem to catch it.....:stirthepot::stickpoke:

As mentioned, I have seen many issues with mice. But then we do not have rats around here in this part of the city, that I am aware of.

The shop that I take my car to had to replace a complete wire harness under the hood of a car because the mice ate all of the insulation off the wires. 6 Months later the same car was back for another under hood wire harness and expecting it to be warrantied? :confused24:

I would guess it was a mouse, not a rat, unless you have some smaller than usual version of rats down there. Like Puc, I have had mice chew the wiring in my fairing, twice I think. I've tried the fabric softener sheets, but they have failed me. I now ride with a few moth balls inside the fairing. Once in a great while I smell them, but I have not had a problem since they went in there.:fingers-crossed-emo

Larry

If they are small, furry and squeak, they are rats to me.

Ive been living in the boonies fir a while now. Bike has had to sleep out side under a cover. Found my daughters cat making a regular nap spot on my lambskin seat cover. Gave up running him off. Found him one day napping away with a mouse firmly clenched in his paws. Ok, you can stay.

After the cat made his home inside the house a new game came up. Try to count the ground squirrels running for their lives when I hit the starter. Found out they dont smell like chicken when you cook em. They cant take the heat when they try to hang on. Most do a tuck and roll about 65 mph when it warms up good.

Criiters do like the security of a quality motorcycle. They just havent learned oATGATT. Lol.

Alot of you have seen the pic of my Minneapolis Moline tractor that I have restored. If not look it up in my photos. When I got it in the shop, it had been sitting in my father in laws trees for years. A soft plug was out in the back of the motor and mice got in through the hole. They worked their way all the way up to the radiator where they made their nest for years. When we got it in the shop we got out as much of the nest as we could and tried to start the tractor to see if it would run and be worth restoring. It is a propane and after ten minutes or so we decided it wasnt getting fuel and took the regulator apart. After removing a wasp nest that was inside the regulator, we tried again and it fired right off. Then the work began.......it was alot of fun restoring, and I wish I wouldve kept track of how many hours went into it. So long story short, if it sits, critters will get in there somewhere!

2 weeks ago we had a 2014 Honda CRV in the shop with electrical isssues.....after awhile we discovered a rodent got in tru the back....chewed a bunch of wires.....chewed thru the roof lining.....chewed off the antenna wire.....$4000 later all was ok

Sad part was the same customer lost her 2011 CRV due to a fire after starting it with a remote start.....was never proven but maybe Mr rodent likes Honda wiring!

Seen a few vehicles with a nest built in the air box including my own car.

Keith

2 weeks ago we had a 2014 Honda CRV in the shop with electrical isssues.....after awhile we discovered a rodent got in tru the back....chewed a bunch of wires.....chewed thru the roof lining.....chewed off the antenna wire.....$4000 later all was ok

Sad part was the same customer lost her 2011 CRV due to a fire after starting it with a remote start.....was never proven but maybe Mr rodent likes Honda wiring!

Seen a few vehicles with a nest built in the air box including my own car.

Keith

I knew Honda was making a big mistake when they starting using cheese instead of rubber to insulate their wiring.. I tried to tell em,, I tried to tell em but oh nooo,, that had to have it their way...

Seriously Kieth,, sorry to hear about those damages!!

Puc