IGNORED

Classifieds - No more mister nice guy

Freebird

I agree yet disagree

Telling your friends about a deal on something is quite different than posting his unwanted items on OUR site. Doesn't monetary responsibility come into play at all - I pay my dues for the use of this forum, a non-paying 'friend' has no business advertising here.

Indeed,, BUT,, I agree and yet disagree and agree and yet disagree :rotf:

Lets use Dragonslayer for a recent example, ITS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, I know he has thick skin.. Bob posted a bike up for sale that didnt belong to him, he stated that the bike would probably be sold at a wholesale price and that he was getting nothing for the sale.. To me, his intent was to help someone in OUR family find a really good deal on something that would make one of his family happy.. Personally I like the idea of having 12000 plus family members out there looking out for each other too,,, like a family does.. Doesnt make any difference to me whether its a Craigslist ad or Ebay or just something you know is available and one of us may be interested in,,, I like being treated like I am part of a family..

I also KNOW that if I had something I had advertised on here and nobody seemed interested, family first, and Bob knew of some non family member that was looking for what I was selling that I could count on him to mention the item to the outside person.. Brothers,, or family members, do that kinda stuff for each other..

Nipping it completely can be a double edged sword, especially if your the one who gets caught paying 4 times the price for something because we cant help each other.. On the same token though,, I totally understand your point Hummingbird,, friends selling things for friends thru taking advantage of our privacy just leaves a bad taste in my mouth too.. Perhaps just keeping it out of the Watering Hole and into an area where we have to choose to visit would help those feelings..

Reading all the great replies in this thread gives me a tiny little taste of the frustrations that our leader has to face on a daily bases with this kind of stuff.. It also helps me realize the importants of making sure what ever we are posting up is going in the right spot on the board.. Not that I dont LOVE the people outside of our family BUT,, there are things around here that we really do need to keep within our family cause we're special AND we are worth a buck a month if someone wants to look deeper in to being part of us..

I really really do see Don's point in the intent of this thread.. In order to keep things organized AND to keep the selling and buying of stuff accessible to "family" members (just another perk of being a member), us monitoring our selves is manditory,, he's our boss NOT our mommy,,,, good grief, could you imagine being the mother of over 12000 kids :bighug:

Hey Don,, thought just occurred to me,, there were lots of times that my Mom had to be the tough guy and not be nice too.. She ended up being deeply respected and loved by all that knows her, especially her 7 children.. YOU, my friend, are on that same path,,, no ya bunch of lop eared varmints I aint referring to being on a MOM path...:backinmyday:

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

puc

I ususlly don't read your entire posts because you evidently have a speedier keyboard than anybody on this site, did I say speedy, what I meant was you have more ink in your keyboard than most here.

I do enjoy what I do read and I'll always maintain that everybody has an opinion and is entilted to express it as long as it doesn't get to name calling etc.

So my point is, advertising on this site for a non member is (in my opinion) wrong, don't care who it is. Now having said that, I don't have a problem at all with you or anybody else posting on the forum that your buddy has a bike, trike or even one of those slower 1st gens for sale and posting it in the watering hole as a link to that person to contact instead of a full blown ad in the classifieds that he/she has not a vested interest.

NO....NOT in the watering hole. If a supporting member wishes to pass on the information about a friends bike for sale or a link to a Craigslist or Ebay ad for a bike or something that they feel may be of interest to somebody here then by all means, I have no problem with that. But do NOT put it in the watering hole...put in the links to Ebay, Craigslist and etc. forum. Again, they will be deleted in put in the watering hole.

Now ya done made me mad!!! I ain't buying no Hardley now!! Just kidding boss. Don't kick me out... You do what you have to, to keep things calm. I'll just read and save my money.........:whistling:Most of the time the Watering Hole is only place I go.

puc

I ususlly don't read your entire posts because you evidently have a speedier keyboard than anybody on this site, did I say speedy, what I meant was you have more ink in your keyboard than most here.

I do enjoy what I do read and I'll always maintain that everybody has an opinion and is entilted to express it as long as it doesn't get to name calling etc.

So my point is, advertising on this site for a non member is (in my opinion) wrong, don't care who it is. Now having said that, I don't have a problem at all with you or anybody else posting on the forum that your buddy has a bike, trike or even one of those slower 1st gens for sale and posting it in the watering hole as a link to that person to contact instead of a full blown ad in the classifieds that he/she has not a vested interest.

:rotf:

Humming,, back in college I took all my typing, keyboarding and CIS classes first.. Later several of my professors told me I should have taken them last as my fingers seem to have a mind of their own.. My final GPA after 4 years of hard labor was 3.96 meaning Summa instead of Magna Cum Laude (4.0),, I was heartbroken.. After pouring over my records I discovered that these goofy, mind of their own fingers had cost me 40 thousandth (once a gear head always a gear head) of my final GPA.. In other words,, there are some things that I really cant blame on my computer or the ink in the keyboard thereof..:detective:

Hi,, these are Pucs fingers taking over,, just wanted to say in our own defense (all ten of us),, he's lucky to have us.. We didnt do to bad at that University considering he was a greasy gear headed motorcycle bum in High School who finished that portion of academia way back then by the skin of his teeth with a 1.98 GPA.. :cool10: Oh, and even our little bothers, Pucs two pinkies KNOW that 1st Gens are BY FAR,, the fastest, bestest of ANY of the Ventures..

Edited by cowpuc

Now ya done made me mad!!! I ain't buying no Hardley now!! Just kidding boss. Don't kick me out... You do what you have to, to keep things calm. I'll just read and save my money UNTIL I FIND AN OPEN SPOT IN THE GARAGE AND ANOTHER GOOD DEAL COMES ALONG ON ANOTHER FIRST GEN.........:whistling:Most of the time the Watering Hole is only place I go.

Puc's sleeping and left his puter on and left us,, his fingers laying on the keyboard.. We just had to fill in the ...... that Dan left in his quote above,, teeeheeeheeheee

Don you have a tough and thankless job.

I for one THANK YOU for what you do for all of us.

I agree with you completely, unfortunately too many are reading what they want to see and not what is written.

As Don has been trying to say.

There is NO problem with posting a link to an ad that you found that may be of interest to others on this site. NO ONE ever said you could not do so.

BUT there is a proper place for that, it is NOT the Watering Hole. That special place is Links to Classifieds, Craigslist and Ebay. It is the very next forum down from the Watering Hole on the home page. So it is not hard to find. There is a special forum just for those types of posts. That way if someone is actually looking for something, they have a much better chance of actually finding it, rather than trying to find it buried many pages deep in the watering hole. And the best part is that the correct forum will get cleaned up to remove old expired posts, That way when someone does a search they do not have to weed through ancient for sale adds in the watering hole of things that are no longer available because they were sold years ago.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

I looked and I looked and I COULDN'T SEE the ebay/kijiji forum when I posted in the watering hole about a trike body for sale

But it was right there all along ....right under my nose.

SO....sorry about that!

One of the mods put it where it belonged right away....but I claim short term memory loss or just long term dumbness?:bang head:

:rotf:

Humming,, back in college I took all my typing, keyboarding and CIS classes first.. Later several of my professors told me I should have taken them last as my fingers seem to have a mind of their own.. My final GPA after 4 years of hard labor was 3.96 meaning Summa instead of Magna Cum Laude (4.0),, I was heartbroken.. After pouring over my records I discovered that these goofy, mind of their own fingers had cost me 40 thousandth (once a gear head always a gear head) of my final GPA.. In other words,, there are some things that I really cant blame on my computer or the ink in the keyboard thereof..:detective:

Hi,, these are Pucs fingers taking over,, just wanted to say in our own defense (all ten of us),, he's lucky to have us.. We didnt do to bad at that University considering he was a greasy gear headed motorcycle bum in High School who finished that portion of academia way back then by the skin of his teeth with a 1.98 GPA.. :cool10: Oh, and even our little bothers, Pucs two pinkies KNOW that 1st Gens are BY FAR,, the fastest, bestest of ANY of the Ventures..

Puc,

While we are on this subject, Please see PM just sent.

Well I tried to send a PM, Your in box is full and would not accept new incoming messages. Check your mailbox.

Edited by Dragonslayer

Puc,

While we are on this subject, Please see PM just sent.

Well I tried to send a PM, Your in box is full and would not accept new incoming messages. Check your mailbox.

Ooopps,, another example of me not pulling maintenance like I am suppose to.. Sorry Bob,, give er another shot when we ya getta chance compadre',,

Well, since we all are getting the punishment and not allowed to eat our ice cream :cry: (boy Big Tom is gonna be ticked off)bang%20head.gif

I now have 18 gallons of ice cream for sale real cheap. :essen_024:

..oops wait... I didn't type that out loud did I ?

:ice_yaw-vi121414111

:stickpoke:

• 6 months later...
Folks, in spite of us having an area specifically designated for posting classifieds, people continue to post them in the Watering hole and other areas of the forum. I have addressed this issue many times in the past and am going to address it this one last time.

Maybe people would prefer that we have NO other areas. Just remove them all and just have the Watering Hole? It would make it hard to find things but that seems to be where everybody wishes to post it all anyway.

There are several reasons why anything for sale should NOT be place anyplace except the classifieds or at the very least, the forum "Links to Classifieds, Ebay, Craigslist and etc."

The first reason is that the posts there automatically delete themselves after a predetermined length of time. That prevents me or the other moderators from going through the Watering Hole or other areas and manually deleting posts for items and etc. on Ebay that are long expired.

The second reason is because the members here, NOT me, decided long ago that they wanted our classifieds open to post only from supporting members. The consensus was that you didn't want strangers that have never participated here joining up as trial members when the only intention they have is to try and sell something. You wanted the ads to be from people that are supporting members here that you know and trust. That was YOUR decision. If you have changed your mind just let me know and I'll open the classifies to everybody. It somewhat defeats the purpose of making the classifieds read only if people are allowed to post their for sale items anywhere they want to.

Your ads should be posted in the Classifieds. When you post them there a post is automatically created in the "Links to Classifieds" forum so you are also automatically posting it to the forum. There is not reason to then ALSO post a message in the watering hole or anywhere else that "hey...I just place my bike in the classifieds".....

So, for several years now I have asked several times that you stop posting ads where they shouldn't be. I have deleted a very few that were posted but the vast majority of the time, I take the time to manually move it to the correct place and just keep quite about it. It especially bothers me to delete an ad that I can tell a lot of time went into creating so once again I will take the time to move it to the correct place and let it go.

So no more mister nice guy. Any ad that I see posted in the Watering Hole or any of the other forums will be deleted as soon as I see it. Regardless of the effort that was put in creating the ad, I am deleting it. This will make a few people mad. I'm sorry about that but this has been discussed many times.

Jeeze I just read this and I'm guilty of not doing it in the classifieds. Sorry Boss

Just sayin: The last two times I tried to post an ad that may be of interest to someone, it wouldn't let me post it in the links to classifieds section.

I got an error message saying that I'd exceeded the allowable # of tags allowed.

Not sure what that even means.

I guess I'll just have to quit tryin'.:confused24:

And what's up with the text that shows up when I add one of the smiles?

:250::250::250::250::250::301::301::301::301::322::322::322::santa::256::256::grandpa::grandpa::grandpa::bagpipes-emoticon::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::rain2::rain2::rotf::scorched::scorched:

now I will try it with text:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:interspersed :cool17::cry::cry::depressed:sheeshhhh I cant get it to do it now:doh::doh::doh::fiddle::fiddle::fishin::fishin:what the heck:guitarist 2::happy34::detective::detective::detective::detective:ok,, guess I gotta eat more crow:rotf::rotf::rotf::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew: things working perfect now:fingers-crossed-emo:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::missingtooth::missingtooth:me and my big mouth:scared::scared::scared: