IGNORED

Easy method to removing coils

Brown Angel

Tear off the plastic then pull out the coils, PIA!!! :bang head: Buy Honda COP's, install, then no more coil problems!!!! :group cheers:

Just hadda an epiphany cause of you Hugger,,, leave the OEM's, reroute the wires, make a new add on harness if ya have too and stick the COP's on.. No idea if its possible but what da heck,,, this is an "open round robin" right?

Just hadda an epiphany cause of you Hugger,,, leave the OEM's, reroute the wires, make a new add on harness if ya have too and stick the COP's on.. No idea if its possible but what da heck,,, this is an "open round robin" right?

Actually puc that does work. I have Honda COP's on my bike and in one of the threads here on the forum one of the members did exactly as you said. They installed the COP's and left the old coils in place. :backinmyday: They work great with the replacement TCI's!!! All you do is wire them in and away you go!!:beer:

There lies the key (or "There's the rub" for you literary fans) you can not use the original TCI as there is a resistance issue with the COP's and it may be too much of a load on the TCI and it may damage it...

always gotta be a fly in the ointment,,, rats.... OK, I am a sucker and always playing against the odds,, that word "may" is not the same as "will".. Hugger said the basic concept has already been successfully done with the upgraded tci so we know it can be done.. I wonder if anyone has actually tried and blown the original TCI,,, just how close to the edge is the load, can the resistance issue be caused by small wiring leading to the coils and can that wiring be changed to a larger wire size or simply control the load on the tci with a resistor,,, come on,, you elctronic wizards,, think here,,, help us 1st Gen riders out... :stirthepot:

There lies the key (or "There's the rub" for you literary fans) you can not use the original TCI as there is a resistance issue with the COP's and it may be too much of a load on the TCI and it may damage it...

Apparently this issue can be addressed by adding resistors to the hookup wires. I have no idea what size is required. :think:

The 86 Venture has 2.5 to 3 ohm coils, many of the late 90’s Honda sport bikes use 3 ohm coils and will work well on the Venture. Where you will have trouble is putting a 1.5 ohm coil on the Venture.

Earl

VMax guys have added resistors to COP's to keep from damaging the pre 1990 stock TCI's.

Resistors needs to be 1.0~1.5 ohms @ 20 watts. Resistors are instaled on negative side of coil. White, orange, gray & yellow wires.

Some have not damaged stock TCI without resistors, but others have. The 1990 & later TCI's seem to not need resistors.

Gary