IGNORED

Dodge beats Ford, Chevy for fastest muscle-car ever with Challenger Hellcat

tufftom4

I was a teen during the 60's and had a 327 four speed 64 Chevelle when I was 17. I remember what happened to the muscle cars in the early 70's. I never would have thought we would ever see muscle cars again. It is amazing what you can now buy off the showroom floor.

In those "good old days", if you had anything that was strong, you were tickled to get 12mpg. Now, you can buy many cars that are a lot faster than then and some get 30mpg.

RandyA

Highest horsepower maybe.

Fastest NO.

The other car makers always forget to include the Corvette as an American mussel car.

A new stock corvette will beat that 10.8 with its 10.5 and does it on "only" 460 HP.

Looking at the sizes of the tires and there is no way that Dodge will keep up in the corners either.

Awesome car. But like everything that guy from gas monkey is involved with a little hokey. Is it a production car? Or a limited edition? The 2014 gt500kr has HP ratings over 1000bhp. One model of the vette is around 800hp.

WOW this is an official Chrysler video and Richard Rawlings is only a spokesman and we have haters here...I am at a loss for words.

• 2 weeks later...
I was a teen during the 60's and had a 327 four speed 64 Chevelle when I was 17. I remember what happened to the muscle cars in the early 70's. I never would have thought we would ever see muscle cars again. It is amazing what you can now buy off the showroom floor.

In those "good old days", if you had anything that was strong, you were tickled to get 12mpg. Now, you can buy many cars that are a lot faster than then and some get 30mpg.

RandyA

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY RANDY!!

Maybe when I grow old and cant ride bikes anymore,,,, be a shame to have something like THAT and not have time to play with it during the summer months.. MAN THAT IS AWESOME!!

In 20 years or so we will have to convince Don to start a EXVENTURERIDERMUSCLECAROWNERS.ORG for us has beens who still have the need for speed!!

Ive seen this and its got me wondering if it beats the new Z-28. Camaro just came out with a Z-28 that is faster then the corvette. Its actually a souped up corvette in the camaro body. They quit making the Z-28 for awhile according to the artical I read. But just this spring IT was supposed to be the fastest of the big 3 auto makers. It was priced at about 84k! Maybe we could get some volinteers here to buy one each to really find out.

I wonder how long they can hold on to fastest most powerful claim. Rumbling out of ford that one version of the 2015 Mustang will have the 8 speed trans and perhaps the Aluminator motor. Chevy spokesman have said at auto shows that 800 HP is with in reason for dealer delivered cars.

Highest horsepower maybe.

Fastest NO.

The other car makers always forget to include the Corvette as an American mussel car.

A new stock corvette will beat that 10.8 with its 10.5 and does it on "only" 460 HP.

Looking at the sizes of the tires and there is no way that Dodge will keep up in the corners either.

The Corvette could weigh as much as 1,000 lbs less than the Challenger. Just guessing because I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi. It weighs 4300lbs. The Magnum, Charger, Chrysler 300, and the Challenger all are based on the same platform which is a Mercedes platform.

The Corvette could weigh as much as 1,000 lbs less than the Challenger. Just guessing because I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi. It weighs 4300lbs. The Magnum, Charger, Chrysler 300, and the Challenger all are based on the same platform which is a Mercedes platform.

Wow, 4300 pounds, that's a lot of weight. My 72 240Z with a 350 Chevy and 350 Turbo trans weighed 2,590 pounds. Yep, it was fun. :whistling:

I put 156,000 miles on it with a V-8 in it.

RandyA

I agree that the Corvette is a whole lot lighter, but the statement was that the Challenger Hellcat is the fastest American muscle car. Regardless of the reasons why, it is not faster than a Corvette, and if if it should get faster I'll bet that it will not take long to bump up the Vette.

My sister just took her 2014 vet on a road trip, averaged 34 MPG over about 1200 miles. Not bad for 400+ HP available.

Heck at 4300 lbs that is getting close to the weight of a full size pickup at 4700 lbs.

This discussion takes me right back to being a youngster, sitting around debating who's is faster and "groovier".. Mopar's, Chev's, Ford's, and an occasional AMX..

The days when drag racing was a 1/4 mile and ya run what cha brung, a 67 slant 6 Dodge Barracuda with that full view rear window glistening sun while it putted down the strip.... Pits were open and the smells and sounds in there were to die for..

Local car parts stores had parts for Holley Carbs and boxes of Cherry Bomb Muffs.. K-Mart sold Dwell Meters, 8" slots, 10" Cragers, L-60's and an occasional set of cheater slicks. Don Garlits, AJ, Preston Petty, The Little Red Wagon posters hangin on the walls of all the car shops..

Sunoco 260 could be had for 39 cents a gallon and the kid pumping it would get high off the unburned fuel smell coming from the 396 Chevelle that was cammed up with 12 degrees of valve overlap... Barely able to idle, that Chevelle would go sideways instantly in 3rd even being loaded with 2 guys and 2 chicks..

Dog n Suds, A&W, Drive Inn movies, Bell Bottom Jeans and Mini Skirts...

Seems like just yesterday....:backinmyday:

Sorry Puc, but last time i checked, a 1/4 Mile was still a quarter Mile, even over here in a metric part of the World ...

These Days you decribe are still there, unfortunately not so often over here, but still ...

I also raced what i brung (my '09 Max), so, where's your Point ?

Sorry Puc, but last time i checked, a 1/4 Mile was still a quarter Mile, even over here in a metric part of the World ...

These Days you decribe are still there, unfortunately not so often over here, but still ...

I also raced what i brung (my '09 Max), so, where's your Point ?

Not so much Squeeze,, mostly 1/8th mile now adays here in the States,,, guess the NHRA shortened it up for safety sake.. Good point on a 1/4 mile still ='s a 1/4 mile though,,, glad to hear it cause my old body has been trying to convince my mind that a 1/4 mile now ='s closer to 10 miles :rotf:

I would LOVE to watch that 09 Max rip up the strip!:clap2::thumbsup:

The Vmax Guys in US allways run on 1/4 Mile Tracks, there are only one or two 1/8 Tracks i know of. You might be right about NHRA limiting Track lenght as the Top Fuelers got very fast. Over here, the Top Classes in the european Championship run 1000 ft Lenght, Bikes as well as Top Fuel.

The average Joe's mostly race on small Air Fields or a closed Part of an Autobahn, there's only one Occasion a normal Guy can hit a real Drag Strip (meaning a prepped Track), that's public Race in Hockenheim in two Weeks. And that's only because the Dragster have Test&Tune Sessions to prepare for the big Dogs Race the following Weeks (Nitrolympics) and public Race is a Cash Cow and fills the Gaps in the Test&Tune Time Schedule.

There are some recent Runs from two Weeks ago on Youtube ...

first Run against a Guy on a BMW S1000RR

second Run, also against the Beemer Guy

third Run against a race modded Cowasaki ZX-10

Those all are slow, 11.4 and 11.5 seconds Runs. I'm not good enough out of the hole and some head wind didn't help either. Even with my big, fat Frame, i should do about a second faster than that, my personal best is a 10.958@200 kph though. Lighter weighted and skilled Riders in US do about 9.8 with similar Bikes.