IGNORED

engine light intermittent flash.

This is not a code tyoe flash. I have seen it before like winding out first or second it fkashes for a second. Then nothing.

On the way to work. Going down the road just cruising it woukd flash come on then maybe stay on a few seconds maybe five then go out. Seems to go out on a rev.

Got to work. Did some figures 8s fast as I could no light.

I notice oil is a little high when its hot. Like just as I stopped it covers the glass its at the bottom of the glass on the stand.

Oil too high?

Only other thing is I have the skid on. Maybe.its blocking whatever that is.hanging down with cooling fins and not allowing it to cool?

Riding home about five am fifty miles. Need some ideas.

Wow, a lot of people with no idea! How old is your oil? Maybe time for change?

The light will flash for me sometimes when driving aggressively when shifting. The light only comes on if there is low level and has nothing to do with oil pressure. Are you checking the level when cold and the bike level, not leaning??

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the first gens under very hard acceleration can get the oil to slosh to the back of the engine causing the sender to momentarily show a low oil level. I never heard of a 2nd gen doing that but it might be possible. Just a WAG on my part.

Yes i have had the flash from an aggressive take off and second shift but this one is just cruising, after it warms up. Just going down the road. Flash, then maybe on 3 or 4 seconds then off. A Rev seems to make it go off.

The oil is good only like 2K miles on it.

I checked it Level warm when I got off the bike.

I reduced the oil level and took the skid off and got about 30 miles before it came on again, and thats about where it started coming on last time. The bike runs fine, I am at a loss.

I just took Vacation thinking I was going for a ride and just like last year its canceled and I cant change it, so I am off to work on it. I have this engine light on and the New Commander II tire does not fit our bike.

The oil still looks a little high, so ill let it cool and check and reduce.

Then who knows what maybe change the battery,

''IronMike - I have this engine light on and the New Commander II tire does not fit our bike. ''

I have CII's on both front and back on my 2nd gen and they fit nicely:confused24:

:canada:

Yea but if you go to the Michiland web site for MC tires any type in our bike it comes up blank. Says we do not make a tire for your bike. I checked it out because another member here had em on and they were cupping, so he called michlin and they said take em off ASAP! They do not belong on your bike.

The problem I have is the why. If I knew the reasoning I may say oh, ok, I can deal with that. But I do not know why. I suspect because we have rims designed for a Bias Ply and not Radials. But, it could be as simple as Yamaha did not have time to spend with them to certify the tire for the bike. I hear its a great tire and a local guy who has a bike shop can't keep them in stock.

Yea but if you go to the Michiland web site for MC tires any type in our bike it comes up blank. Says we do not make a tire for your bike. I checked it out because another member here had em on and they were cupping, so he called michlin and they said take em off ASAP! They do not belong on your bike.

The problem I have is the why. If I knew the reasoning I may say oh, ok, I can deal with that. But I do not know why. I suspect because we have rims designed for a Bias Ply and not Radials. But, it could be as simple as Yamaha did not have time to spend with them to certify the tire for the bike. I hear its a great tire and a local guy who has a bike shop can't keep them in stock.

Take a look at this thread for an explanation from Michelin.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=86893

:canada:

Bert 2006 Yep I just replied to that thread, It' was all about the weight rating. Being I am puting a Rear on the front backwards rotation, I am good to proceed! Yay! I am soooo happy! In fact I am like 3 specs over the weight rating on the front. This should match up to my Darkside tire nicely! Whoot!

ON to this engine light.

Dealer Mechanic actually spent like 15 minutes looking up what this light does and showing me the books, which he said are early Venture Shop books and are not what they should be.

But that light has nothing to do with the oil level, there is a separate light for that. I should have wrote down what he said but he was doing this for free so I did not interrupt him.

As I recall he said this light trips on Tip over switch triggered, Fuel Sending Unit fault, Throttle position sensor fault (And that only changes timing a little so bike will still run.) and Emergency stop switch. And he did not know what they mean by that, was thinking they mean switch on Handlebar we call the Kill Switch.

He told me the number of blinks for each fault, cant remember, but anyways he said if it is active fault it will blink when the key is turned on. Mine does not, it lights steady so no faults.

He said he only seen this light problem once and it was the tipover switch and he remembers it only because it was a very time consuming diagnosis. You could see it in his eyes.

So I guess there is nothing there that would stop the bike from running. It just freeks me out to see a light on.

I can't really even guess where to look, The bike only has like 15K miles on it. So maybe I hit a wire or pinched it instaling something or bad connection at a plug. If I can find all these sensors I will clean the plugs with Electrical contact cleaner and see what happens.

At least in the future someone with this problem will have a little information than me. And I hope we find a fix in the end.

Now, I got the Fuel sending unit plug location and maybe the Stop switch, but the TPS and the TS ummmm steer me! Before I look it up! LOL

• 1 month later...

I think I have solved this old problem and figured out what went wrong.

It cut two trips short.

Anyways, oil in the Air intake system.

How, I was on a trip and the oil light would flash on a quick take off, so I checked the level and it was a little low. So of course I added some.

I suspect then, on this long high speed trip it started pumping oil into the sytem, I did notice a few drips on the garage floor. I drained some oil, checked the level opps drained too much added too much, and then began the engine oil light flashing. I did chase it down to the throttle Possition sensor but the dealer would not sell me one until I checked and cleaned mine.

I was like huh? Just do it.

I have had an eye problem and I can hardly see to work on the bike when I saw where it was I was like screw that. (Its not where CLymer picture shows it) Si I just got all the oil out of the intake system and Seafoam deep creeped the carbs and shot Electrical contact cleaner at the TPS with hope.

Fired it up, throttle response is what it was, and it runs a lot better. And I have yet to have the lights come on. So I think I got it.

The oil light still comes on when I take off fast but so what, I am not adding any more oil. It is above the bottom mark and below the half way.

So anyone else have the problem, inspect the intake for oil, Shoot Carb cleaner down from the Breather tubes on the carb until it comes out clean at the bottom of the bike (Two locations on each side of carb) Squirt the TPS, from inside and out, clean the connectors, and everything else you come into contact with. Check the plugs. And reassemble.

Symptom was Engine/oil light coming on in sweet spot on throttle at cruising speed and boggy throttle response on the way to the sweet spot. It reved and ran fine. WOT and once the light would come on, a rev would turn it off for a few minutes.

• 6 years later...

Owner of a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture and my Engine light flashes on and off intermittently for a few seconds. Did a diagnostic code test at the Yamaha Dealership and there was no code that could not be read. Mechanic explained that there is a lot bad wiring (12 volts) underneath the seat that may be causing a low voltage to the Motorcycle computer thus effecting the intermittent flashing of the engine warning light. He also mentioned that my 2009 Royal Star Venture motorcycle has its own type of built in diagnostic test? I will have to spend about $500.00 for intensive labor down the road to clean up the wiring work. It cost me $62.50 for 30 minutes labor work but I think it was worth it assuring me that at least I won't break down on the road somewhere. The engine light is still continuing to flash intermittently but life goes on! Hope this helps someone out. Ride hard and ride safe!

• Like 1

Hi @Joseph Zegura and WELCOME to VR! 

I always like to give the guru's a few days to bite and if they dont,, BAM,, I grab the lure and run LOL. I have never owned or worked on an RSV like yours but have fired a few shots on the earlier model Ventures which do share some similarities (both V-4, shaft drive). 

None of my MK1's had an oil pressure monitoring system in them, instead, Mom Yam chose to use a float switch in the bottom of the crankcase to monitor actual oil content/level within the oil pan that the oil pump sumps from.  It has never been unusual for that switch/float device to have issues - I have noticed this especially on my bikes when I got over 200k or 250k miles on them. As a matter of fact, I have actually used this switch and its reactionary report on my bikes CMOS as a gauge for when I needed to add oil on a 2 month long, cross county trip.. I would do the "oil check" simply but wacking the throttle hard on take off, maybe even lifting the front a little which my wife (TIP) never really appreciated but the kids always did, and gazing down to see whether or not the "oil light" was flashing..  If the oil contents were down to the bottom of the oil check window, about a quart down, the light would flicker and even stay on for a while. 

So,, why do I explain all this?  Because it would not surprise me to find out that your bike, as my older models, DOES NOT have an actual oil pressure monitor that is causing your engine light to flicker but has the same type of setup as my MK1's did, basically maybe wired to an idiot light on the dash instead of a CMOS monitor like on my older version.  Quite frankly, knowing Yamaha, it would not even surprise me at all to find out that the oil level monitoring float switch for my 1983 would actually interchange with your 2009. If what I am saying is correct, I highly doubt that the engine light flicker you mention has any significance concerning engine life as long as you know your oil level is full?  I actually had an 83 that I ran well over 100k miles with the oil light permanently on cause I was to lazy to fix the switch,, was wayyy more into riding them than working em.  

Maybe I am right in all this,, maybe I am wrong.. Hopefully this post will stir the bike repair Guru's in the club enough to cause them to verify one way or the other..

Puc

On 6/23/2014 at 8:13 AM, Flyinfool said:

I read somewhere that the first gens under very hard acceleration can get the oil to slosh to the back of the engine causing the sender to momentarily show a low oil level. I never heard of a 2nd gen doing that but it might be possible. Just a WAG on my part.

Both my 2nd gens have done this in 1st and 2nd, same as my 1st gen, it is just a float switch switch.  I do have a dyna3000 with a higher rev limit and more timing advance. on the 2nd gens. On either gen, having the oil level justt above the center of the glass when sitting level is perfect.  Any higher you will blow it out somewhere when riding hard.  If not the driveshaft, it will go into the airbox.  A little blip under hard accel or step incline is not a worry.

The engine light is separate from the oil light, as noted above.  It will only flash an error on the emergency kill if the kill is off and you hit the starter button.

Edited by OutKast
add info