IGNORED

Antenna Replacement Adaptor

KillDrag65

I am replacing the stock antenna whips with short flexible ones. I checked on Harley flexible ones, but they use a 6mm mounting bolt and my my venture uses a 8mm. Also overpriced at $25. Some of us don't use the cb and never will and very limited radio. I made this inexpensive adaptor,( aluminium round stock and a 8mm and 6mm bolt) and you can use it to mount a universal flexible antenna wich only cost $6 ( my choice) or the HD ones. I like the way the bike looks with shorter antennna. Radio is still works.

Edited by KillDrag65

Thanks KillDrag65. I also would like shorter antennas. I don't use the cb, but, would like to keep the look of two antennas. Didn't realize how poor the radio reception was until I put foam baffles behind the front speakers.

Would you consider making two adapters for me? Also where did you get the antennas and is there any problem with attaching the wires?? Thanks again for the info................

Guest tx2sturgis
And here I am gathering the parts to do the Marshall mod on mine and all I would have needed to do was get these adapters?:bang head::bang head::bang head:

:canada:

Let me step in here and explain a little.

Bert, your Marshall modification (using actual CB antennas) will mostly preserve the CB and AM/FM usability...the modification detailed here, although it looks good, will not.

Small flex antennas are more about 'looks' than actually being able to transmit and receive signals. The smaller you go, the less they will function compared to the factory antennas. (there are some exceptions)

The OP stated he will never use the CB and rarely the AM/FM. CB operation with these 'shorty' antennas that are not designed to work with a CB at all, will most likely be limited to very short-range receive only.

And FM broadcast range will be reduced to local stations.. AM range will probably be 'zilch' or close to it.

Of course, the aux jack and cassette will not be affected at all...so if using satellite radio or mp3 players...the sound system is still entirely usable that way.

Some owners wish to get rid of the stock antennas but keep the CB and AM/FM working....others dont, and simply want it to look good, and the CB and/or AM/FM range is not relevant.

Two different solutions.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Tx2sturgis is correct and thanks for clearing that up. the shorty antennas will not work for the cb and I will probably pull the fuse for it if there is one. Local stations come in on the radio and that is all i need. I like the look of the flexible antenna. I bought them at the local auto parts store for $6 each they are a " universal mount ". For the adapters i took a piece of 3/4 " aluminium round stock drilled it and tapped one end with a 8 mm tap and the other with a 6 mm. Then i screwed in 2 bolts with loctite on them and cut them to length. Some black spray paint and just screw in the flexible antenna to the 6mm side and the other into the bike antenna mounts. Looks awesome, in my humble opinion

Let me step in here and explain a little.

Bert, your Marshall modification (using actual CB antennas) will mostly preserve the CB and AM/FM usability...the modification detailed here, although it looks good, will not.

Small flex antennas are more about 'looks' than actually being able to transmit and receive signals. The smaller you go, the less they will function compared to the factory antennas. (there are some exceptions)

The OP stated he will never use the CB and rarely the AM/FM. CB operation with these 'shorty' antennas that are not designed to work with a CB at all, will most likely be limited to very short-range receive only.

And FM broadcast range will be reduced to local stations.. AM range will probably be 'zilch' or close to it.

Of course, the aux jack and cassette will not be affected at all...so if using satellite radio or mp3 players...the sound system is still entirely usable that way.

Some owners wish to get rid of the stock antennas but keep the CB and AM/FM working....others dont, and simply want it to look good, and the CB and/or AM/FM range is not relevant.

Two different solutions.

Ok that explanation helps greatly as I do want to retain the functionality of cb and am\fm. Only one cable left to be delivered before I can tackle it. Thanks again.

:canada:

Excuse my ignorance for asking but what is the Marshall mod and how does it differ from a basic CB installation were you get rid of the multiplexer and run separate antennas for CB and radio, by running one antenna and cable directly to the CB and another directly to the radio? :think:

Guest tx2sturgis
Excuse my ignorance for asking but what is the Marshall mod and how does it differ from a basic CB installation were you get rid of the multiplexer and run separate antennas for CB and radio, by running one antenna and cable directly to the CB and another directly to the radio? :think:

The 'Marshall mod' is a way to convert the existing CB and AM/FM antennas on the Ventures to better looking and lower profile fiberglass CB antennas...but still retain the use of the CB and the AM/FM radio.

I always recommend using Francis rather than Firestick antennas...but either will work.

http://bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm

IS there a specific reason for using Francis antennas vs the Firestick noted in the Mod instructions?:confused24:

The 'Marshall mod' is a way to convert the existing CB and AM/FM antennas on the Ventures to better looking and lower profile fiberglass CB antennas...but still retain the use of the CB and the AM/FM radio.

I always recommend using Francis rather than Firestick antennas...but either will work.

http://bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm

This looks to be very interesting replacement. So is it as simple as "plug and play" as noted? Have you used this item on your bike/hannigan? No other adaptors required?

But then for $27 for 2 units, it's worth a try without too much cost or investment.

Any additional info would be great.:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks

This is what I have installed over three years ago with no problem using the CB within group rides and no problem with FM reception. I don't use AM radio haven't since I was a kid.

http://www.antennax.com/p-4729-2-eurostyle-13-inch-antenna-masts-harley-davidson.aspx

This is what I have installed over three years ago with no problem using the CB within group rides and no problem with FM reception. I don't use AM radio haven't since I was a kid.

http://www.antennax.com/p-4729-2-eurostyle-13-inch-antenna-masts-harley-davidson.aspx

So I order a pair of these 13" plug and play replacements. Will report back once they are installed and functioning. They also have a 16" steel version, but apparently they function the same. Went with the shorties.

And not bad, $5 shipping to CANADA. Will advise.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis
IS there a specific reason for using Francis antennas vs the Firestick noted in the Mod instructions?:confused24:

I prefer the Francis because:

They are thinner and lighter than Firesticks, although the Firestick firefly is pretty close.

Firestick antennas have exterior windings covered with vinyl, but the exterior single copper conductor is soldered to the top edge of the hollow base ferrule. As the entire antenna flexes the solder point eventually fails. Firestick antennas rarely last more than 1 or 2 years in commercial use on OTR trucks. Highway use in ice storms can cause the copper to break in a matter of a few hours or less.

Francis forms the fiberglass rod around a double helical copper conductor, and the conductor is soldered to the hollow ferrule at the base of the threads. Since the antenna catches less wind, it flexes less, less stress on the mount, and the interior copper conductor rarely ever fails until the antenna is many, many years old and the vehicle wears out first!

Of course some of this doesn't apply to a motorcycle. Riding during heavy icing as an example!

Feel free to install a couple of firesticks. They will be happy to sell you a new set and new mounts in a couple of years.

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 3 weeks later...
So I order a pair of these 13" plug and play replacements. Will report back once they are installed and functioning. They also have a 16" steel version, but apparently they function the same. Went with the shorties.

And not bad, $5 shipping to CANADA. Will advise.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I bought these 13" antennas and went to the hardware store and bought automotive stud reducer M8-1.125 by M6-1.0 x 31 for $2.60 ea. Worked perfect, even used the chrome piece off of the stock antenna. So far FM radio and CB work fine and the bike looks a lot better with the shorter antennas.

I also bought the http://www.antennax.com/p-4729-2-eurostyle-13-inch-antenna-masts-harley-davidson.aspx and the 8mm to 6mm stud adapter (2) from "Ace is the place!" store. Took all of 10 min to switch over and, from a short ride around the neighborhood, think the radio reception (AM & FM) is about the same (Crappy!!!)! As mentioned, even used the chrome adapter piece that attaches to the bottom of the antenni (Plural?):confused24:

• 6 months later...

I found them online here https://www.belmetric.com/s6x8x31-metric-step-stud-p-1398.html?zenid=jtkaon09lq54mm225d6humulv2&cPath=9_73

I have gone to every nut and bolt location within 400Km and no one has a stud reducer of these specifications

Any idea where I might buy one? ...on-line vendor? I am stumped

I appreciate any help

Thanks

Bill

• 2 months later...

thanks for the help with this one everyone, Ive always found the OEM whips too tall and a pain to fold down when covering up the bike. Theses 13 inch antennas are the perfect height not to interfere with the bike cover as the trunks rack is taller.The antennas are available at http://www.antennax.com/p-4729-2-eurostyle-13-inch-antenna-masts-harley-davidson.aspx and the stud adapter is here, https://www.belmetric.com/s6x8x31-metric-step-stud-p-1398.html?zenid=jtkaon09lq54mm225d6humulv2&cPath=9_73

IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0558.JPGIMG_0559.JPG

Brian

Thanks KillDrag65. I also would like shorter antennas. I don't use the cb, but, would like to keep the look of two antennas. Didn't realize how poor the radio reception was until I put foam baffles behind the front speakers.

Would you consider making two adapters for me? Also where did you get the antennas and is there any problem with attaching the wires?? Thanks again for the info................

Not trying to highjack the post but....what was the reason for putting foam baffles behind the front speakers? Did you get a better sound, more bass?

Loved the look of the short antennas so I ordered the antennas online, went out and purchased: 2 - 8mm coupling nuts and 2 - 8mm X 6mm stub reducer at the Hartville Hardware store, went home and the antennas arrived. Took the old whips off and to my surprise the 8mm was too big, UGH. Was thinking, and went out and got some aluminum ½ inch round bar new taps and ¾ inch heat shrink. Final results ;-) Adapter.jpgDone.jpg

Yes, more sound & better bass response. I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Install-Bay-VXT40-4-Round-Shape-Quality-Acoustic-Car-Speaker-Baffles-Pair-New-/331527119401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d308e6229&vxp=mtr pair of 4" round VTX40. Had to cut and fit including duct tape rether than removing speakers. A definite improvment!

GOOD LUCK:group cheers: