IGNORED

Quebec driver who stopped for ducks guilty in fatal motor cyclecrash

KeithR

Wow! What a wierd accident. I feel so sad for the family of the rider and his daughter. And the riders wife who was behind them and witnessed it. I'm sure she will live with that pain forever. It is also very sad for the young lady who caused the accident. It was obvious there was no criminal intent, but it looks like she could get life in prison, or at the very least, 14 years. So tragic.

Unfortunately you cannot legislate common sense.:bang head:

Very sad for all involved, but you simply do not stop in the middle of a busy highway for wildlife. Stupid move that ended two lives.

While I absolutely agree that you do not stop in the middle of a highway for wildlife, aren't all drivers (riders) responsible to be able to stop in the case of a traffic stoppage or slow-down ahead of them. I'm under the impression that if you rear-end someone, you are at fault, pretty much regardless of the circumstances. :stirthepot:

I have mixed feelings. On one side, you simply DON'T stop on a busy highway unless there's an emergency. I'm curious to know the details of the situation. Did she stop over a hill, around a curve, etc. so the biker couldn't see the car until it was to late? What was the biker doing that he couldn't stop in time? Speeding, distracted, riding into the sun, etc.? If I run into a stationary object, I tend to feel it would be my own damn fault. But there are often extenuating circumstance that we're simply not aware of. Its just to sad that so many live have been so tragically altered for the rest of their lives, and all for some ducklings.

Just my :2cents:

Bill

Guest tx2sturgis

You cant fix stupid.

:whistling:

I sure feel sorry for the lady but you dont stop in the left lane on a highway for ducklings! If she was stopped there and putting on makeup how would we react?

Pull over to the right, on the shoulder, if it's safe. You do have some responsibility for those behind you on a highway.

And yes, being hit from behind can sometimes be the fault of the vehicle in front...it always depends on the situation. It could have been raining, or on a curve, or hill, or maybe sunlight glare was a factor. I guess we dont really know.

:confused:

Again, Mixed feeling. What if there wasn't a car there and MC and passanger hit a duck. What if it was a deer standing on the road; MC and passenger die as a result of a wildlife collision. The details aren't really discussed; did she leave her car in the lane of traffic or was it pulled to she shoulder? If she left her car in the lane of traffic I agree that some responsibility does fall on her. How much I couldn't tell you, but what if it was a case of a broke down car left there, would she still be at fault. You hate to wish ill will on anyone, and there are so many what if's in this case.

While I absolutely agree that you do not stop in the middle of a highway for wildlife, aren't all drivers (riders) responsible to be able to stop in the case of a traffic stoppage or slow-down ahead of them. I'm under the impression that if you rear-end someone, you are at fault, pretty much regardless of the circumstances. :stirthepot:

Totally agree that the rider has some responsibility. I have driven that highway a number of times and it is full of blind curves and very dangerous. Honestly in Montreal folks totally ignore the speed limit and if you are on a bike not following the flow of traffic you will simply be run over. Having said this, I would not even want to be in the left lane on that road as the speeds there are even higher.

We had a similar accident to that here in Fredericton last year in almost the same scenario, but in that case all involved were in cars so no deaths.

:confused24:

It did say that the bike was following a truck, the truck managed to swerve around the stopped car. It is possible that the truck used up some of the riders potential reaction time.

But the bottom line is the bike was traveling at well over the speed limit. and even with braking was still well over the limit at the time of impact.

Should the duck lover go to prison for this, I don't know. But I do NOT think she should get off Scott free either. I do think a good portion of the blame falls on the bike driver.

There are way to many important details missing from the story for me to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

It is tragic for all involved for sure.

This is an unfortunate does of reality for all involved. First you don't stop on a buys highway, in a live lane to help animals. It's not safe. Second, eye lead, and don't speed.

I wasn't there, so I don't know the layout of the roadway. Maybe it was a blind curve, or hill. Unfortunately 4, if not more, lives were affected by this preventable collision.

We used to tell our drivers to always be conscious of what appropriate speed is...to be able to stop in an emergency without damage to person, property, fauna or flora.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but every accident I had until I understood this concept was driving/riding at inappropriate speed.

:301:

[font

I sure feel sorry for the lady but you dont stop in the left lane on a highway for ducklings! If she was stopped there and putting on makeup how would we react?

Pull over to the right, on the shoulder, if it's safe. You do have some responsibility for those behind you on a highway.

And yes, being hit from behind can sometimes be the fault of the vehicle in front...it always depends on the situation. It could have been raining, or on a curve, or hill, or maybe sunlight glare was a factor. I guess we dont really know.

While i sympasize with the family, are't we responsible for our own safety?? what ever the situation shouldnt have he slowed down in the situation, what ever it may have been? I:bang head: believe that We should be responsibly for ourselves ="Book Antiqua"][/font]

We can build the safest roads and vehicles the world will know but you can't take away the human factor. I just finished a 3000 mile trip and forty minutes from home a bike passed me in the left lane of a congested interstate in Austin Tx. It looked like he was leaving ample distance between his bike and the vehicle in front. Twenty seconds later I was passing the scene of his accident . He had rear ended a car. How I don't know. I pray for him and the people involved in this story. Please try to be as safe as possible on the roads. Not only for you but for other people as well.

Kickshot