IGNORED

Lean Angle

Keysyrider

How much weight did you have in the trailer and what was the tongue weight?

Heavy trailer will want to go straight rather than follow you around a corner. Sounds like you had too much weight in the trailer and it pushed your back end out.

If steering "floats" or is too light with a trailer, then your tongue weight is too heavy. Shift your load around and add air pressure to the rear shock. Keep tongue weight between 30-35lbs.

If your bike feels like it floats in corners without a trailer, then check your steering head. You might be too loose too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stock Venture will lean further than most Harleys without dragging. And I think most Gold Wings. The Venture also has floor boards that flex and warn you when your lean is becoming excessive. Top heavy is irrelevant above parking lot speeds. It is not easy to lean one so far you loose wheel contact with the road. But if you do and you are pulling a trailer you are going to get a trailer push. The OP is very fortunate he avoided serious injury to him or his passenger. This is not what I call a good demonstration of riding skills. In fact taking a corner that fast with a passenger and trailer borders on reckless endangerment in my opinion.

Mike

Carefully, with help, lay the bike over on the crash bars. THAT is max angle :shock3::shock3::shock3::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

I never understood why riders would rather lean a bike into a turn than just turn the steering bars. Been riding for 40 years and if I want to make a turn, I just turn the steering bars. Never have to worry about lean angle limits. Having a passneger and a trailer...seems like a lot at stake for on the edge riding if you ask me.

Keysyrider I know why you didn't actually crash - your avatar tells me you are a dirt rider. Only a dirt rider could have pulled that one out.

I rented a 2004 wing for about 1100 miles and rode Skyline Drive near san francisco - I scraped on every turn and it was my 2nd day on the bike. I have put the leveling links on my 07 RSV and only scraped 2x since - the extra inch makes a big difference.

I have to differ with you about the RSV not being worthy in a overspeed turn situation. I was going WAY too fast and feet up on i70 westbound about 15 miles West of Green River Utah when I came into the only "decreasing radius turn on a superhighway" I have ever come across. It decreases starting at the apex. I was running out of room but there was no shoulder- just K rail. I had to go off the gas ( a normal no no) and pull on the front brake ( another no no leaned over) while repositioning my feet to the floorboards to hit the rear brake. It was one of those slow motion times in life. I remember thinking that I am really leaned over far and wondering why I am NOT scraping at 85 mph in a climbing, tight right hander with a decreasing radius that I didn't see or expect ( fyi - 55 mph zone) - I credit the lean angle of the bike and my dirt biking experience with pulling me through that. I credit my laundry for the clean underwear I changed into.

Glad you came out of that one ok but I disagree about wing - assuming leveling links on the RSV ( and quite possibly understeer from the weight in the back due to your trailer)

Thank you for sharing - I know it is tough to admit to this group that a mistake was made, but you help all of us by sharing. And the rest of you stop bidding on the bike - that's just wrong.

VentureFar...

I never understood why riders would rather lean a bike into a turn than just turn the steering bars. Been riding for 40 years and if I want to make a turn, I just turn the steering bars. Never have to worry about lean angle limits. Having a passneger and a trailer...seems like a lot at stake for on the edge riding if you ask me.

Hmmm..., I have been riding for 50 years and for some reason I have found that the laws of physics require me to lean in proportion to the radius and the speed. I am curious as to how you can go into a curve and just turn your steering bars and not lean.

Here in the mountains around me, we have a lot of curves and on many occasions I have encountered parts making contact while leaning, but it wasn't a big deal.

By the way, do you ride a trike?

RandyA

Wow- you sure know how to start a discussion ( welcome to the forum) - If you are on a two wheel vehicle going over 10 mph and you want to make a right turn and you turn the bars to the right - you will go left. Sorry - that's physics. Read this to understand -

http://biketrackdayshub.com/how-to-turn-a-motorcycle

You only think you are turning the bars to the right to go right - you aren't -it is just second nature and you aren't thinking about it.

If you are turning the bars right on on 2 wheel bike to go right over 10 mph - as many say - this thread isn't any good without pictures.

VentureFar...

My guess is you either ride a trike, sidecar rig... or are trolling. Anyone who has ridden more than 40 minutes knows there is more to turning a motorcycle than just turning the steering bars. I rarely worry about lean angle either as I simply don't ride that close to the limit, but I assure you my and every other two wheel vehicle does in fact lean when you push or pull on the bars.

Keysyrider I know why you didn't actually crash - your avatar tells me you are a dirt rider. Only a dirt rider could have pulled that one out.

I rented a 2004 wing for about 1100 miles and rode Skyline Drive near san francisco - I scraped on every turn and it was my 2nd day on the bike. I have put the leveling links on my 07 RSV and only scraped 2x since - the extra inch makes a big difference.

I have to differ with you about the RSV not being worthy in a overspeed turn situation. I was going WAY too fast and feet up on i70 westbound about 15 miles West of Green River Utah when I came into the only "decreasing radius turn on a superhighway" I have ever come across. It decreases starting at the apex. I was running out of room but there was no shoulder- just K rail. I had to go off the gas ( a normal no no) and pull on the front brake ( another no no leaned over) while repositioning my feet to the floorboards to hit the rear brake. It was one of those slow motion times in life. I remember thinking that I am really leaned over far and wondering why I am NOT scraping at 85 mph in a climbing, tight right hander with a decreasing radius that I didn't see or expect ( fyi - 55 mph zone) - I credit the lean angle of the bike and my dirt biking experience with pulling me through that. I credit my laundry for the clean underwear I changed into.

Glad you came out of that one ok but I disagree about wing - assuming leveling links on the RSV ( and quite possibly understeer from the weight in the back due to your trailer)

Thank you for sharing - I know it is tough to admit to this group that a mistake was made, but you help all of us by sharing. And the rest of you stop bidding on the bike - that's just wrong.

VentureFar...

DITTO + WORD BROTHER!!!!!!

Hmmm..., I have been riding for 50 years and for some reason I have found that the laws of physics require me to lean in proportion to the radius and the speed. I am curious as to how you can go into a curve and just turn your steering bars and not lean.

Here in the mountains around me, we have a lot of curves and on many occasions I have encountered parts making contact while leaning, but it wasn't a big deal.

By the way, do you ride a trike?

RandyA

Wow- you sure know how to start a discussion ( welcome to the forum) - If you are on a two wheel vehicle going over 10 mph and you want to make a right turn and you turn the bars to the right - you will go left. Sorry - that's physics. Read this to understand -

http://biketrackdayshub.com/how-to-turn-a-motorcycle

You only think you are turning the bars to the right to go right - you aren't -it is just second nature and you aren't thinking about it.

If you are turning the bars right on on 2 wheel bike to go right over 10 mph - as many say - this thread isn't any good without pictures.

VentureFar...

I am totally in tune with these Speaker BUT,, there is a handlebar steering manuver that has actually saved my life a couple times.. Try this,, on a nice open stretch of highway get up to speed,, say 65 mph, lightly hold your grips in your hands so your kinda going no handed (I steer with my knees and go no handed a lot out on the open road but aint gonna even suggest doing something that stupid on here).. Now lightly press on the inside of the grip on your left side and see what happens.. Learn to use your new discovery!! You will find that you are now able to, in a millisecond, switch lanes - avoid potholes - avoid deer - avoid fallen riders and on and on, with just a bump on your grip!!

All that being said,,, this does not equate into smooth cornering,, there is nothing like tossing down on the throttle, steering with knee pressure and throttle contol while your bars bow to the motocross track/ice/flat track clay or pavement.. and then the feeling of a controlled cross over slide,,,, nuff of that,, adrenaline goin...

Glad you made it okay, sounds like you did good. Maybe a little oversight coming in though. Think we have all had that pucker feeling and it sure wakes you up.

As for pulling a trailor well a lot of us did that as well. A trailor is a funny thing and it acts different everytime you ride. I found that more tongue weight is better and that any heavy weight behind the axle causes a swing no matter how much tongue weight there is.

Enjoy and glad you made it

Brad

Does anyone know what the bank angle of a 2013 Venture S is with 2 up. I had a near death experience wailing into a corner on CR 26 in the Ohio Wayne Forest towing a trailer. Grounded out, ran out of road, struck a line up the shoulder, trailer went sideways into the ditch, bike came back onto the asphalt totally sideways, grabbed a hand full of throttle, put my foot down and slid sideways, fishtailed a couple of times and rode on. That's when I said to myself, "I am selling this f&%$#%*@g piece of crap and getting another Gold Wing"

It over steers, carries too little gas, is very top heavy, and the cruise control is just an aggravating bad joke. Hope Yamaha does and better job with the next edition---if they plan on making one. This was just a bad experiment for me. The only positive thing I can say is this bike is only comfortable when floating down the Interstate, and there, it is quite comfortable.

The Wings have about a 45 degree bank angle and the Harley is around 25 degrees. I suspect the Venture is somewhere around the same as a Harley.

Rule No#1.

Your the one, that needs to figure this out, before, you operate anything.

Motorcycling, is dangerous enough without "pushing the limits".

From the sounds of it , you never even bothered to find out.

The RSV is a touring bike...

I would have to agree with Mike(Brake Pad), that if your towing a trailer behind it, think like your driving a truck with trailer .

Only difference is, It will, roll over you, and, your passenger if you mess up..

If you want to "wail into a turn", please buy something else...

Thanks for posting, it may wake someone else up..

We all make mistakes, hopefully you have learned from yours...

Operator error...

Turn the steering bars :think: Maybe in a parking lot at a very slow crawl, but above that I,m pretty sure I ride it like a horse and just steer with my legs :whistling:. As far as leaning goes I have ridden my buddies gold wing a few times and could not even come close to my venture without scrapping.

Rule No#1.

Your the one, that needs to figure this out, before, you operate anything.

Motorcycling, is dangerous enough without "pushing the limits".

From the sounds of it , you never even bothered to find out.

The RSV is a touring bike...

I would have to agree with Mike(Brake Pad), that if your towing a trailer behind it, think like your driving a truck with trailer .

Only difference is, It will, roll over you, and, your passenger if you mess up..

If you want to "wail into a turn", please buy something else...

Thanks for posting, it may wake someone else up..

We all make mistakes, hopefully you have learned from yours...

Operator error...

Amen Brother!! In my business, we call this mishap "pilot error". You can't blame the equipment for a rider who gets outside of the envelope.

So folks--it looks like the lean angle of the Venture S is about 36 degrees unloaded. Got a kick out of some of the replies especially the ones that questioned my riding ability. With five National Motocross championships under my belt and as a member of the Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Fame I have a bit of experience to draw upon.

What my experience told me was, "Get rid of this motorcycle!" Everything drags the road way too soon. And although somebody mentioned that a Gold Wing won't ground out before a Venture--well that is just wrong. The Gold Wing has a 52 degree bank angle unloaded. compared to a Venture's 36 degrees.

I think the Venture is a great bike for some people and when just cruising down the super slab or meandering along country roads it is in its zone. However, it is not what I thought it would be and I should have traken it for a test ride before I bought it.

Anyway, it is sold now and I am back with another Wing. It has been pleasant talking with you guys but each to his own. As long as it has two wheels and an engine then the rest is personal choice. Adios amigos.

So folks--it looks like the lean angle of the Venture S is about 36 degrees unloaded. Got a kick out of some of the replies especially the ones that questioned my riding ability. With five National Motocross championships under my belt and as a member of the Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Fame I have a bit of experience to draw upon.

What my experience told me was, "Get rid of this motorcycle!" Everything drags the road way too soon. And although somebody mentioned that a Gold Wing won't ground out before a Venture--well that is just wrong. The Gold Wing has a 52 degree bank angle unloaded. compared to a Venture's 36 degrees.

I think the Venture is a great bike for some people and when just cruising down the super slab or meandering along country roads it is in its zone. However, it is not what I thought it would be and I should have traken it for a test ride before I bought it.

Anyway, it is sold now and I am back with another Wing. It has been pleasant talking with you guys but each to his own. As long as it has two wheels and an engine then the rest is personal choice. Adios amigos.

Sorry to see you go bud....be safe

:canada:

. As long as it has two wheels and an engine then the rest is personal choice. Adios amigos.

Amen to that ....But hey Just because you chose the wing... No reason to to let a little bantering drive you off .... Like it say's in the introduction all are welcome and the best part ....... None of us are perfect.

Except for maybe Me but thats because I wear a halo :innocent-emoticon:

But we are a fun and caring group.

To start with, I was right. Dirt bike experience. Everyone take note- practice in the dirt. It could save your life. Now about the lean angle. I didn't have a protractor with me when I rode a 2004 wing on skyline drive near half moon bay, Ca but I was very surprised to scrape left and right on every turn. I am not that aggressive a rider. Although I haven't take. My RSV on skyline I have ridden a lot of and I have only scraped a few times even before adding the leveling links.

So I question the huge difference in lean angle described above.

Guess I need to take my RSV to skyline. Only 360 miles away.

Anyone ridden skyline on their RSV and aggressively ?

VentureFar...

Don't think anyone was questioning your riding ability.. judgment perhaps?

When one gets a "my cup is full atitude" thats where the problems start.

You started off by riping the very bike this site is named for. You didn't think that would ruffle some feathers?

Regardless, (although this would be ill advised) you could hook the same trailer up to the Goldwing and duplicate that "wailing into a corner on CR 26 in the Ohio Wayne Forest" move and let us know how it turns out.

Just for ****s and giggles, I did some measuring on the max lean angle allowable on my Bunkhouse trailer.

34 degrees and the shank under the ball will contact the side of the ball coupler.

If you try to lean your bike more than 34 degrees with a trailer ???? who knows what will happen.... I personally don't want to find out...

Perhaps a Uni-go trailer would be a better fit for you?

Keysy stick around we are a great group and a big happy family! Several members have Wings and as you may have noticed there is even a separate forum for them. Nobody is telling you to go! You are just as important here as any member!

Thanks guys. I take no offense to any of the comments posted. I think my wording was a biy off when I said "Wailing into a corner". I going quite a bit slower than if I had been riding the Wing. As I said, I bought a cruiser without taking it for a test ride--now how wrong is that! I still like to ride a bit on the aggressive side and the Wing allows me to do that. The scraping pegs serve as a warning that you are getting close so ease up a bit. My last Wing had the pegs worn down to the allen bolts.

No bad call's against the Venture--it's just not my cup of tea. I got away with a warning but I gotta say that it quite a rush when you are in a full lock slide sideways . Reminds me of my younger years when we raced indoor oval on pavement. Full lock slides on the tarmac in the Agrodome at the PNE grounds in Vancouver, BC . Now that was fun!!

I'll be checking in here every once in awhile as I still have several months paid for in advance ha ha.

We head for Cape Breton and PEI in August then to England and the Isle of Man in September. Got a Triumph lined up for the Isle of Man, then a tour of the Triumph factory in Hinckley, and then a visit to Rickman Metisse to see the Steve McQueen replicas being built. Hope to get a wee ride on one also. Life is good!!

I still like to ride a bit on the aggressive side and the Wing allows me to do that.

I do as well but maybe not as hard as you because I think I do fine on the Venture. Never had a wing but I think I know what your saying. Maybe you should have had a first gen.. :sign20:

Anyway it would be nice to meet you at one of the meets, all the best

Brad

Don't think anyone was questioning your riding ability.. judgment perhaps?

When one gets a "my cup is full atitude" thats where the problems start.

You started off by riping the very bike this site is named for. You didn't think that would ruffle some feathers?

Regardless, (although this would be ill advised) you could hook the same trailer up to the Goldwing and duplicate that "wailing into a corner on CR 26 in the Ohio Wayne Forest" move and let us know how it turns out.

Just for ****s and giggles, I did some measuring on the max lean angle allowable on my Bunkhouse trailer.

34 degrees and the shank under the ball will contact the side of the ball coupler.

If you try to lean your bike more than 34 degrees with a trailer ???? who knows what will happen.... I personally don't want to find out...

Perhaps a Uni-go trailer would be a better fit for you?

Not that I would recommend pushing the limit while pulling a trailer but if his trailer has a swival type hitch on it like mine does than you could literally lay the bike flat on the ground without any interference from the hitch.:confused24: .

Maybe even get air born long enough to do a barrel roll and land back on your wheels .....OK I'm getting off the mark now....As Yammer would say... I'll go crawl back in my corner now :whistling:

Edited by saddlebum