IGNORED

Lean Angle

Keysyrider

Does anyone know what the bank angle of a 2013 Venture S is with 2 up. I had a near death experience wailing into a corner on CR 26 in the Ohio Wayne Forest towing a trailer. Grounded out, ran out of road, struck a line up the shoulder, trailer went sideways into the ditch, bike came back onto the asphalt totally sideways, grabbed a hand full of throttle, put my foot down and slid sideways, fishtailed a couple of times and rode on. That's when I said to myself, "I am selling this f&%$#%*@g piece of crap and getting another Gold Wing"

It over steers, carries too little gas, is very top heavy, and the cruise control is just an aggravating bad joke. Hope Yamaha does and better job with the next edition---if they plan on making one. This was just a bad experiment for me. The only positive thing I can say is this bike is only comfortable when floating down the Interstate, and there, it is quite comfortable.

The Wings have about a 45 degree bank angle and the Harley is around 25 degrees. I suspect the Venture is somewhere around the same as a Harley.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basics? Is your bike lowered?

What scraped,,, floor boards or mufflers?

If you are not lowered and it went beyond what the floor boards can handle then, you were,,, way down on it.

I tow a trailer with my RSV. Never had that happen.

Just did a NC trail called Diamond Back today, never got beyond scraping floor boards.

I did watch a friend on a Valkyrie go down hard when he went beyond what his foot pegs could handle.

Does anyone know what the bank angle of a 2013 Venture S is with 2 up. I had a near death experience wailing into a corner on CR 26 in the Ohio Wayne Forest towing a trailer. Grounded out, ran out of road, struck a line up the shoulder, trailer went sideways into the ditch, bike came back onto the asphalt totally sideways, grabbed a hand full of throttle, put my foot down and slid sideways, fishtailed a couple of times and rode on. That's when I said to myself, "I am selling this f&%$#%*@g piece of crap and getting another Gold Wing"

It over steers, carries too little gas, is very top heavy, and the cruise control is just an aggravating bad joke. Hope Yamaha does and better job with the next edition---if they plan on making one. This was just a bad experiment for me. The only positive thing I can say is this bike is only comfortable when floating down the Interstate, and there, it is quite comfortable.

The Wings have about a 45 degree bank angle and the Harley is around 25 degrees. I suspect the Venture is somewhere around the same as a Harley.

If you are two up,pulling a trailer and leaned that far over you are going to fast. SLOW DOWN.

Mike

Another consideration. Do you have an aftermarket centerstand? I do and it damned near lifted me off the ground one day. I modified it slightly so it stays a bit higher than it was designed, but I still have ground off the corners of the feet pads.

Another consideration. Do you have an aftermarket centerstand? I do and it damned near lifted me off the ground one day. I modified it slightly so it stays a bit higher than it was designed, but I still have ground off the corners of the feet pads.

+1

Mike

Sounds to me like you did one heck of a good job getting your passenger and yourself out of what could have been a very very bad situation! Hats off to you for a job well done!

I spent a ton of time and effort in my motocross days setting up my suspention for competition.. I know that sag, valving, spring tension and and shock oil weights (nitrogen charge is also a factor on dirtbikes butnot so here) were things that made ahuge difference on cornering over woops and thru tight bankcorners.. if you really wanna carve I wonder if you could tinker with the boingers some and majorly improve thebikes charectoristics..

iknow on my 1stgens I run progressives in the forks, 12 weight oil, 3/4 inch preload bushings and come out with just under inch and ahalf of sag.. works awesome on the back roads. I carry 75 poands on the mono air and even fully loaded and two up it carves pretty good in the twisties.. there has been LOTS of suggestions that I try a trailer and so far, for thelast 52 years of riding I have yet topull one so I have no idea what thextra push weight does to the steering of a bike.. I do know this though from building/riding chops thru theyears.. rake and trail angles areimportant in steering stability.. I bet if ya dug into it you would find out that certain rake n trail angles are more conducive to trailer towing especially if your looking for a more performance orientated experience which it sounds like you are..

Lots of factors could play into this deal. A bit to much speed entering corner, then brakes, then the un-braking load of trailer pushing the rear of the bike up which unloaded the suspension (making it loose). To which you now have to compensate by counter steering and widening the corner...........

I have run into a few corners on this bike either solo or with the wife that I have "overshot" and had to widen out. I blame myself and try not to make the same mistake again. It aint the bikes fault I'm going that speed.

The OP was talking about running out of lean angle. I just can't imagine pulling a trailer and going into a corner that hot. The venture I had (2nd Gen) would lay over very steep and I never touched a thing. I remember getting a little hot coming off an exit ramp onto an expressway and wondered if the tires would hold and still never touched metal. I ride with a Star group and one of the guys has his RSV lowered, he will grind once in a while. I just can't see lean angle on these bikes being an issue at all. Maybe sport touring bike in his future.

those are chances I would never take, first you have another soul on board, that responsibility alone would slow me down, and ride correct. Now a trailer on top of that !!!!. I just see a bad Judgment call on this one. ( I apologize for my forwardness ). I always tell people when your towing a trailer, your no longer riding a bike. (you have to think like your driving a truck)

I've extremely pleased you came out of it un-skived

With apologies if I give offence, I tend to speak directly. The key phrase in the below quote is "wailing into a corner". It's an 850lb tourer with a trailer behind it! Drive it like a 500lb sport bike and you'll get the results you got. Towing a trailer should add a level of needed caution. Carrying a passenger adds still another level. My assessment of your description is pretty direct. You overtaxed your machine, dumped it, heaved your trailer in a ditch, and were exceedingly lucky to escape uninjured, as was your passenger.

My US friends have been known to say "Guns don't kill people, people kill people using guns." In your described case your motorcycle didn't crash, you did. And you came far too close to killing two people doing it.

Shed the trailer and have fun in the curves. I don't go by lean angle, I just look at my Chicken-Strip on the rear tire. If its less than 1/2" my bike and me are having fun. If I got too take enough to pull a trailer I need to be going in the SUV.:confused24:

A stock Venture will lean further than most Harleys without dragging. And I think most Gold Wings. The Venture also has floor boards that flex and warn you when your lean is becoming excessive. Top heavy is irrelevant above parking lot speeds. It is not easy to lean one so far you loose wheel contact with the road. But if you do and you are pulling a trailer you are going to get a trailer push. The OP is very fortunate he avoided serious injury to him or his passenger. This is not what I call a good demonstration of riding skills. In fact taking a corner that fast with a passenger and trailer borders on reckless endangerment in my opinion.

Mike

With apologies if I give offence, I tend to speak directly.

The key phrase is "wailing into a corner". It's an 850lb tourer with a trailer behind it!

1. Drive it like a 500lb sport bike and you'll get the results you got.
  2. Towing a trailer should add a level of needed caution.
  3. Carrying a passenger adds still another level.
  4. You overtaxed your machine, dumped it, heaved your trailer in a ditch, and were exceedingly lucky to escape uninjured, as was your passenger.
  5. In your described case your motorcycle didn't crash, you did.
  6. And you came far too close to killing two people doing it

:sign yeah that:....:thumbsup2:....I totally agree with the comments above but I don't want you to take it that I am pointing a finger at you for I am pointing several fingers at myself.

What I am saying is, we are all guilty of taking what I will call "unknown" chances when we ride up on ad into a curve.

As a reminder / learning lesson for all of us:

We never "think" about the actual weight (850 lbs) of our touring machine nor the added weight of the passenger when approaching a curve, yet we all know the RSV is TOP HEAVY.

Many who pull a trailer "forget to think about" the extra "thrust" that the trailer would be presenting as the curve approaches because we are looking for those few drops of adrenaline as we attempt to overtake the unknown curve, which all have that posted safe speed limit sign that we just passed and ignored.

I too try to get a few drops of adrenaline by doing the same thing, overtaking a curve at two or three times its posted safe speed limit. I have been lucky, as many others here, in doing so.

I want to thank you for posting your close call for it help many of us "think again" as we approach distant curves in our roads. We also might pay attention to those posted safe speed limit signs next time too.

I am happy that you and your better half are both OK.

Eck

$300.00 minus $200.00 for the wear and tear on the bike. Keep the trailer.

When I first got my 02 my wife and I went on a trip. The first several miles were on a high speed freeway then we got into the twisties. It was a handful and by the second corner I was ready to sell it. Before the third corner I glanced at the speedometer. I was going over twice the speed limit fully loaded and with two up. I slowed down and everything was fine. My fault, not the bikes.