IGNORED

New Hearing Aids (America Hears)

GG54172

I just purchased a new set of hearing aids, surprisingly, over the internet. If you don't mind, I would like to blog the hearing aids with you for awhile. The hearing aids have a 60 day 100% money back guarantee. I have just received the hearing aids today at 3pm, but I know the hearing aids shipped last Thursday (March 6th, 2008). The hearing aids were shipped via DHL next day, but I had to have the aids sent to work because I had no one at home to sign for the aids. So the aids sat on John Deere's shipping dock for a weekend :( . So to give myself a few days of cushion, I want to have these hearing aids fully vetted by May 1st, 2008.

I want to break this up into several post to allow anyone who is interested to easily find the information they are looking for. I would like to start with my medical history.

My oldest brother was diagnosed with above average hearing loss around the age of 7. About 6 months later (At the age of 5) I found myself riding with my mother starting in the wee hours of the morning to spend all day at the hospital obtaining the same battery of test. Somehow my middle-older brother was spared.

My oldest brother and I share the same hearing loss pattern. Our test scores have not changed much over the years (I am now 27), my left and right ears also match, and my latest results are as follows:

Frequency:Ansi 1969 (Decibels)

250Hz:20db

500Hz:32db

1kHz:40db

2kHz:42db

4kHz:60db

8kHz:50db

(Normally this would appear on graph paper with circles, exxes, and bracket symbols.)

SRT 40AD 35AS

PB 100%/70(AD) 100%/65(AS)

MCL 65(AD) 65(AS)

UCL 105(AD) 105(AS)

This was taken on a GSI-16 audiometer at Dubuque ENT in Dubuque Iowa.

My brother and I both started out with Starkey hearing aids furnished by an audiologist in Grand Rapids, MI. I do not know what model the hearing aids were, but I recieved my first pair of custom-fit "full concha" analog hearing aids during my kindergarten year. I think my poor father purchased 6 or 7 pairs of Starkey hearing aids that were either lost, shorted out in the shower, or eaten by one of the various dogs we owned growing up. I wore the hearing aids daily until about the 7th grade. By this time, both my brother and I had given up on hearing aids.

The rowdy atmosphere of middle school was not condusive to wearing analog hearing aids. Noisy cafeterias, gyms, and classrooms rendered the hearing aids useless with white noise and background noise. We both had obvious hearing loss, but had developed enough listening techniques to function normally without the aids.

So, I had a little difficulty, but managed to function well enough to graduate high school (2000), Bachelors (2003), and nearly a Master's degree in engineering (2007) Basically, I sat in the front row, and spent plenty of time in the professor's office asking follow-up questions. Most people I talk to now at work aren't even aware that I have hearing loss.

So a couple of months ago, my mother calls me. Hey Greg, your brother just bought another pair of hearing aids, he says they're great, you should give him a call. So I call my brother up, and he has purchased a pair of Starkey Destiny 800 hearing aids. These are digital hearing aids with noise filters, by-directional microphones, and 4 settings for various ambient environments (such as office, car, cafeteria, etc) He really enjoys the hearing aids, and thinks they work really well. They had better be good, for $4400. (No, insurance does not cover hearing aids) I think to myself, "Great! I had been pinching pennies to buy a set anyways, and it is nice to talk to someone who actually has aids that work well.

My unique situation at John Deere has forced me to realize that I do need hearing aids. I spend most of my time in the office, where most people don't even realize I have a hearing problem. However, there are about three people here at JD who are very soft spoken, and I have resorted to "nodding approvingly" when I seriously had no clue what was said. I also spend a lot of time in conference rooms, noisy cafeterias, and this one particular conference room out in the factory. This particular conference room is located right in the middle of the Backhoe assembly line. It has very large single glass pane windows on two sides. People with perfect hearing can't hear in there.

So it happened, I was in a large meeting in the factory conference room, my CAD operator was sitting next to me, and someone significantly higher up on the totem pole than I was sitting on the opposite side of him. Apperently this manager started asking me a bunch of questions about my design, and I never even responded. Whats worse, is he thought I was paying attention, because I was looking in his general direction. (This is the reason why the CAD operator, who knows I have hearing loss, didn't slap me upside the head.) I realize the whole room has been quiet for about 45 seconds (save the background noise) and everyone in the room is staring at me.

There have also been the numerous times my wife or daughter has tried to get my attention in the car, or at home and I was unable to respond.

Later that day my supervisor (who also knows I have hearing loss) flags me down and says, "Hey Greg" we need to do something about you in the factory conference room. I replied, "I know," and told him that I had a scheduled exam with an audiologist the next morning.

Ever since I had talked to my brother about his hearing aids I researched the various brands of hearing aids on the net. If $4400 was coming out of my pocket I want to get my money's worth. I was researching available program modes, noise filtration, telecoil, bandwidth, bi-directional microphones, etc. I was looking for a mid-level digital hearing aid. (No bluetooth, or anything fancy) While searching the internet I stumbled accross http://www.hohadvocates.org/ and somewhere I found www.AmericaHears.com.

America Hears is a company in Bristol, PA that advertises fully digital hearing aids for $995 per aid. The website says 32 channel, bi-directional microphone, four pre-programmed settings. All for $995. This is half what I had been expecting to pay. So I called them. I asked them a bunch of questions. (Where do you purchase your aids from? How long have you been in business? How many audiologist do you have? why are your aids so mess less expensive?)

Basically, they said they have been in business for 27 years, and they manufacture their own aids right in Pennsilvania. They started out as an aid manufacturer, and eventually decided to go full time internet only sales about 3 years ago. Better Business Bureau says America Hears has been in business for 3 years, and no complaints. (I imagine America Hears is a new branch of the older company, but I didn't ask)

So here is how it works, you can buy any style of hearing aid: Behind the ear, Open fit (on top of the ear), Full Shell (In the concha), half shell, in the ear, and totaly in the ear. It doesn't matter what model you buy, they are all $995 each ear. The real selling point was the fact that America Hears will send the usb cables so I can program my own hearing aids with my own computer. I also call AH and ask them to reprogram the aids over the phone, and download the new programming from the internet. Not bad.

I figured with a 60 day 100% money back guarantee I couldn't go wrong, time will tell. If the hearing aids don't work as advertised, I can get 100% of my money back (so they say), and then I could go out and buy the Starkeys.

I called America Hears and let them know I was interested.

Everything starts with an audiogram. I don't live anywhere near Bristol, PA so I went to Dubuque ENT. Insurance paid for the audiogram and full ear inspection by an audiologist, and an Ear Nose and Throat doctor.

I faxed my audiogram to America Hears March 3rd. (See results above)

I then called America Hears to discuss which model of hearing aid I wanted. I was either going with the full-shell concha aids (which I was used to) or the open-fit style aids which rest on top of your ear. I ultimately decided to go with open-fit.

1.) It was something new, and if I didn't like open-fit, but I did like AH I could trade them in for the full-shell style for free.

2.) I have had earmolds done before, but I was in no way confortable with the idea of asking anyone to inject the molding compound into my ear. My wife is a medical assistant and we probably would have been fine, but an audiologist has malpractice insurance.

3.) When I wore the full-style aids in school my ears would get very hot after a few hours, and I would have to pull the plugs and let my ears cool off every now and then. Open fit allows my canal to be open, and breathe.

I traded in an old anolog pair of aids that no longer worked for $100 dollars off, each. I paid $12 for shipping. Total out-the-door cost: $1802.

AH shipped the aids next day via DHL. However, I had to have the aids delivered to my work, as someone has to sign for the shipment. Therefore, my aids sat on the Deere shipping dock for a weekend. I finally had the box sitting on my desk at 3 pm today. (March 10th)

The box:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0939.jpg

Instruction Manual:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0940.jpg

Upper Left - Drying Kit, Upper Middle - USB Adapter, Upper Right - 40 Batteries, Lower Right - Plastic hearing aid case, Lower Left - ??? empty box?

I think the hearing aids were supposed to be in the empty box, but I found them in the large plastic case.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0942.jpg

Remove the plastic case to reveal more electrical wires required for programming:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0943.jpg

Open the plastic case to find a small fabric pouch, magnetic program selector, battery tester, cleaning brush, and the hearing aids:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0944.jpg

The aids:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0945.jpg

On the ear:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/100_0949.jpg

So I have had these aids for about 6 hours now. Initial impressions, so far so good. I first put the aids on while sitting at my desk. I immediately noticed an amplification. Everything sounds clear. My desk is in a quiet area. I could hear my keyboard clacking as I typed an email. I could hear my next cubicle neighbors cell phone ring (normally I cannot hear my own cell phone ring). I could hear, and understand, a conversation between two coworkers 40ft away. I invited a few people over to discuss some business related things, and I could hear them better. My best friend came over (Who knows my hearing loss) and talked in several ranges of quiet speaking. He spoke in hushed tones that he knew I normally could not hear, and I could hear him. However, analog aids can do that in a quiet environment too.

So as a quick and dirty test I took my aids out and put on my Peltor 7 ear muffs. These muffs have a built in analog hearing aid. When I turned them up to the same volume as my aids, I noticed the Peltors also increased the HVAC noise, which my hearing aids did not.

Test number two, that factory conference room. I drove out into the factory and walked into the empty conference room. The factory background noise was quieter once the door closed. I took the aids out, and the background noise was at the same percieved volume as when the aids were in. So far it appears that the aids do not amplifiy, or filter out most background noise. To describe the factory, it is a one mile long by 1/3 mile wide building where 3500 employees assemble Backhoes, Crawlers, Skid Steers, and some forestry equipment. In the imediate vicinity of the conference room there are a significant number of welders, paint booths, air tools for assembly, transofrmers, adn everything else (fork trucks, golf carts, JD gators, etc) required to run a heavy equipment assembly line. Ambient noise is between 80 and 90 decibels, and hearing protection is required 100% of the time in the factory.

I have a meeting in that conference room tomorrow morning. I will get a chance to test the aids while 40 people are in the room (the same as when I didn't hear the manager). I will report back.

I also, drove around the factory on the electric golf cart. Hearing protection is required, so I wore my peltor 7's but I did not turn them on. (My hearing aids where on) A funny thing happened, as I drove through the factory looking for sounds the hearing aids slowly ramped themselves up. They continued to gain until I could hear transformers again, I could hear the throttle actuating on the golf cart, I also heard someone drop a hammer, while wearing the muffs. When I stopped at a quality control office (little hut in the middle of an assembly line) I noticed the amplification was quite loud for a few minutes as I stopped to talk to my QE. Eventually, the aids ramped back down. Supposedly, I can control the increase/decrease gain rate with the software.

On the ride home I listened to news radio. This is often the worst case for my hearing, and I have to turn the volume up quite high. I noticed I only had to turn the volume up about half as much. However, I could hear all of the road noise in my 99 Ford Exploder. I will have to try to tweak one of the programs to see if I can play with the bi-directional mics and clean the noise up a bit. Even with the noise I could understand 95% of what was said without having to increase the sound. My stereo is OEM stock.

So I have approximately 50 days to fully vet these aids. I plan to scrutinize them in the cafeteria, my car, home, and work. Also, over easter I will see my brother (who has the same pattern of hearing loss) and we plan to have a side by side comparison.

I also plan to play with the software. I will get back to you in about a week and let you know how that goes.

I hope you don't mind me typing all of this up when this isn't a hearing aid forum. I just know that they have been discussed before, and I would like to share my experience. I don't want to make this an advertisement, unless the aids do as well as I think they should. If the aids do work, I want everyone to know where you can get quality aids for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the normal outlets. I did pre-type this, because I have several forums where I want to post this.

Thanks for providing this information, as it is no doubt useful and practical to a number of folks on this forum, and by turn, to those we might know outside this group. Although I don't personally have a hearing deficiency, I found your series of posts very well presented and quite understandable. I'll look forward to reading your updates!

Terry

That's a great write up Gregory. I'm glad you're making the effort now to get the help you need to improve your hearing. Looks like you're on the right path here.

As a long time hearing deficient person myself I can relate to what you're going thru. I've worn aids of various types from 19 years of age to present.

I just had a Cochlear implant done last fall and still working on getting the unit fine tuned.

Anyhow good luck in your quest to get the most out of those hearing aids.

Larry

12 March 2008

I really like the sound quality of these hearing aids. I have not found a situation where the sound was unnatural. I no longer have any concerns about the ability for America Hears aids to provide the hearing correction I need. The only reason I wouldn't keep these aids, would be for a component quality issue. So far I have no reason to suspect the durabilty of these aids.

I like the open fit style hearing aids. It seems very natural and my outer ear canal does not seem to get hot like my old ITE aids. My only complaint is that my safety glasses interfere with the aid sitting on top of my ear. I have not had any issues, but I can't help but think they may fall off.

My friend and coworker has been helping me with testing the hearing aids. He sits in a different part of the building. Several times this week he snuck up behind me and quietly said, "Hey Greg". I heard him every time. :)

All hearing aids are preprogrammed by the factory using the audiogram provided for the hearing aid prescription. Since the audiogram can be subjective to the conditions of the patient on test day, America Hears recommends that you perform a "loudness balance" within the first few days of wearing the new aids. So, I plugged the aids into my laptop, and fired up the program.

After registering the software with the serial number provided, you just click on the "Adjust-it-Yourself" link. (Note the buttons available for adjustment from an America Hears audiologist. They can program the aids real time via the internet.)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/Software.jpg

I am wearing the aids while performing this test. The first thing is to connect.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/Connect.jpg

The aids will shut off, and then turn back on, but the software automatically mutes the aids.

You can press "listen" to turn the aids back on.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/RightMuted.jpg

The first thing is to check your saved files. The program saves your file each time you program your aids. This way, if you make a mistake, it is easy to go back.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/SavedFiles.jpg

The first program to run is "Loudness Balance".

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/Loudnessbalance.jpg

You will try to balance the loudness between two different frequency ranges. The program starts in the middle, and you work your way out, until all frequency ranges have been adjusted. Note the graph keeps track of changes compared to the origional.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/TonesLB.jpg

You will go through all of the frequency ranges until both the left and right ear have been adjusted. It appears that the origional program overcompensated for my high range loss, and undercompensated for my low frequency abilities. Otherwise, I may just be sensitive to the ranges I am not used to hearing. I am going use my new program for a few days and run the test again to see if I would like to change the program.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/RightTonesLB.jpg

There is also a macro volume adjustment program. (The aids themselves do not have a volume control, they must be programed.)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/Volume.jpg

There are also pre-recorded sound files for testing the program.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/Ggerg1186/Hearing%20Aids/SoundLibrary.jpg

I am very happy. I did all of these adjustments within 15 minutes at my home. I did not have to take any personal time from work. I am planning to take my laptop into the factory sometime next week to do noise filtration programing next week. I will also do the side by side comparison with my brothers Starkeys over Easter weekend.

Expect an update after Easter.

I'm 52 and have my hearing aids for just over 2 years now and love them. I got mine through www.hearingplanet.com I especially like the different programs that I can scroll through while I'm wearing them for different situations, like background noise, locomotive noise, and more. With hearing aids the old saying is true that you do get what you pay for. :mo money:

One thing that I learned while researching hearing aids that when you brain loses the ability to process certain sounds, that ability is gone forever and can never be rehabilitated. I was down to 90%. It can get so bad that if you wait too long, hearing aids won't do you any good at all. So, it is better to get them now rather to wait until you think 'OK, I can't hear anything at all" and then finding out that they won't help.

Guest mmmouse

What?

Got mine through the VA. Not the best, but you can't beat the price.

I don't have to lip read anymore. Now if I can get them to spring for the Viagra.:confused24:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, I have 18 days until my 60 day money back policy runs out. I am keeping the hearing aids.

My final impression

The good:

The sound quality is awesome

My ears do not "overheat" like my old in the ear aids did

Noise supression is much better than I expected.

The bad

They are hard to keep clean (I get a lot of wax build up)

Batteries last about 80 hours, which about a week. However, I asked around and this is standard for new digital aids. My brother's starkeys have about the same life.

I can not be happier. I feel that for 1800 dollars, I got two hearings that have the same level of quality as if I had bought two hearing aids from Starkey for $4000. I haven't needed any support from America Hears, but I did discuss the hearing aids with them on Friday, and I feel they are more than willing to help, should I need them. Every time I spoke to America Hears on the phone, regardless of whom I talk to, they are polite and extremely helpful.

I am hearing sounds I knew were there, but haven't heard in a long time. I am hearing the birds, my truck radio never goes over half volume, I can really communicate better now.

This is my final post. I highly rate America Hears, and I will recommend them to anyone who ask. Feel free to send me a message, I would be more than happy to talk about my experience.

GG,very thorough write up and lots of good info.I printed this out for our elderly next door neighbor who Shari helps take care of..He just had ear surgery to repair some of his hearing loss and is going to be refitted for new aids within the next month,so this will be good info for him to read.I do know that he might not want to give up his local hearing aid specialist because she is very attractive.At least we know there is nothing wrong with his eye sight.:):)

• 5 years later...

I found this really old post from 5 years ago.

I remember reading it and almost bought a set.

Now it is my turn I guess , looking into the Costco Premiums

digital BTE with Blue tooth. and the 360 deg hearing now days

two sell for $2,000.00 maybe we can get this thread updated now :-)

from reading I think they have come a long way since 5 years ago.

Please add any new info you can for the update

Thanks,

Jeff

With a unit like that behind the ear, how does it feel with wearing a motorcycle helmet? I have the ones that fit into the ear and since I'll kick one out sometimes as I remove my helmet, I make it a practice of always holding my head over the opened trunk as I remove the helmet and at times an aid has fallen into the trunk. Just a safety measure.

• 1 month later...

I just acquired my first pair ever of over the ear style hearing aids just a couple weeks ago. I took my Mum into a Sam's Club that has the hearing aid lab built into it. While she was getting fitted for hers, I decided to get my hearing checked and found out I was almost as deaf as she was, probably from too many years of plant work plus a lovely case of tinnitus.

I have mine set up with 4 different programs, full on [both mikes active {each one has 2}], front off, back off, and BOTH off. The last one is called Telecoil and will tie into a theatre system if it is set up for it. It is also what the audiologist recommended for use while I was riding the bike. The speaker wires are equipped with little cups on them so they effectively block outside sound. End result I'm effectively wearing earplugs while riding and can reactivate the regular program once I'm off the bike.

Something else. My mother's last pair of hearing aids cost her $8K. At Sam's Club, BOTH her set AND mine with added loss and warranty coverage for 2 years on both sets came to less that $5500!! I'm having all kinds of "FUN" hearing things I didn't even know I was missing! Not all Sams Club have the audio lab yet but they are working on getting them in all of the stores. Ours were done at the Springfield, Illinois store and the guy there, MIKE!, is great and will help you just about any way he can.

Thanks for resurrecting this post, Cougar!! As a new rider at my age, I have just automatically gone without my hearing aids while riding and wearing my helmet. I have the over the ear but as GG mentioned in his analysis; in the past, background noise issues constantly interfered with an ability to effectively hear anything at all. I am glad he was able to make many of us aware of a possible alternative. :)

Still looking myself. I tried the Costco over the ears but I could still hear all there back ground nose with them so no go for now. My problem at work we have our meetings and I can not hear them talk very well with all that shop noise going on. as everything goes into ONE EAR. so the back ground noise will cancel out there voice . I thought you could use hearing aids to fix this problem but I guess not. still hoping tho ONE DAY !

:fingers-crossed-emo

Cougar

Mine are set up so that I can cut off one or both of the mikes each hearing aid has. Sitting in the Sam's Club where I got them, turning off the rear mikes made alot of difference in the background noise level I was dealing with. Sam's Clubs are NOT a quiet place. I had no idea just how much of the noise I was missing until I put the aids on the first time. You might want to check and see if the Costco's are programmable as mine are and see if that helps.

Still looking myself. I tried the Costco over the ears but I could still hear all there back ground nose with them so no go for now. My problem at work we have our meetings and I can not hear them talk very well with all that shop noise going on. as everything goes into ONE EAR. so the back ground noise will cancel out there voice . I thought you could use hearing aids to fix this problem but I guess not. still hoping tho ONE DAY !

:fingers-crossed-emo

I wore a set of BTEs for awhile, I wear a 3/4 helmet and had problems with the aids coming off when I pulled the helmet off. Switched to in-the-ear aids a few months ago. They are better at fitting under a helmet, but I have a lot of problems with wax and it clogs the ITE types a lot. The BTE aids were easier to clean.