IGNORED

Possible new "bike/trike"

bendtdj

On Saturday, I am going to try to look at a different First Gen. I saw on Craigslist a 1985 Royale with a trike kit installed. I have been thinking about this for a while because my back has been giving me problems and this is quire affordable. If I pull the trigger and buy it, I will post my 1984 here in the classifieds. There are some photos of my bike in my profile. Here is the link to the "trike/bike" I am going to see:

http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/mcy/4490923989.html

What would be the primary concern with riding one of these vs. riding a regular bike? Would this be almost impossible to back up?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello Dave. This looks like a Voyager kit. http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ I have a RSV with Hannigan kit but have never driven a Voyager kit. There is lots of info about these types of kits on this site or "Trike talk". Some good and some no good. The big issue sounds to be was it installed properly, ie) the first time and are all the welds OK. I looked at this type before getting my trike. Only had it mine about a month but have put on over 5000 KM so far and am glad I did. This type is removable if you want. You can not change the triple tree to help the steering if you want to remove the two support wheels at some time. Best of luck it you go for it.

Remove the Voyager kit and sell it! If you get the rear wheel into a rut you are going to be stuck there as the middle wheel is the drive wheel. Pro's are you ain't gonna drop it, but cons are they don't maneuver that well. If you are considering trike, buy a real one...

Paul, I do get into Southern Ontario on occasion, we should ride some time!!

Another thing is make sure the serial # is above 1413 or you may be dealing with the 2nd gear issue. That is a lot of weight to pull around and you may want to install a V-Max rearend if you buy it to get it moving a little easier and either way, gas mileage is going to suffer. Also, you would be happier with it if you live where the terrain is flat.

Yes, if you want reverse, make sure you have a stout GF/wife or both. :whistling:

RandyA

Hi dave,

never had the chance to ride one with the voyager kit. Always wanted to try one for kicks... seems like the application is more in line with the traing wheels concept than a trike app. I would be curious to know if the two outside rear wheels on that bike have independent suspention.. if it does, it seems like, because your still actuallly running on the center original wheel andsuspention, that it could be setup to ride with the same charectoristics as an actual motorcycle. Trikes are totally different.

I have looked at a couple voyagered bikes and, if memory servesme corre tly, its a bolt on kit that is easily removed. Maybe a better option would be to keep your bike, buya kit and install it? Have seen those kits aroud for well under 2k. IMHO 4600 is to much money for an 85 with a voyager kit..

puc