IGNORED

Brighter passing lights

Homebrewr

Many have went to the trucklite LED. You have to be careful if you stay with halogens. The wiring will not support 55w bulbs for long. At least the wires on mine wouldnt. I am researching some cree LED bulbs to use. Anything besides the incandescent "tractor" type lites is better. Do some searching on here for like "passing light suggestions" driving lights, fog lights. PAR 36 is what the bulb has to fit. I dont know what kind you have so its hard to say. I had just a regular "tractor" type utility lamp sealed beam in mine when I bought it. I upgraded to a 35w halogen in an alure housing. Now I swapped those bulbs out for some el-cheapo LED bulbs I had. They are not very brite at all. Something like this is what was orginaly in mine. 62975_40bf9cfc838678118cc8ab0d8056e35e7a35b14e_original_x_323_1327866490.jpg This is what I changed to. Looks like the bulb/lens in pic. These are the pricey buggers some are going to.

the custom dynamics sunspots are a nice led light but do keep in mind if you go led your headlight is gonna look very yellow and you may find yourself upgrading that one too:mo money::mo money::mo money:

Headlight on the RSV very difficult to actually upgrade. The lens is sealed to the housing. SO only option without tons of work is an HID, which some say lens is not suitable for. Or an upgrade 80w100 halogen Wagner BP 2010 or something like that. I have the Wagner and took it out. As I read threads about the minimal wire gauge that was running the headlight I decided to go HID. Now there was a thread where a fellow found a CREE LED bulb to go into the H$ housing and he was ordering it. But I have not heard anything on the swap in awhile. I would consider running the Wagner 80w100, but would run some new wiring with a relay.

Headlight on the RSV very difficult to actually upgrade. The lens is sealed to the housing. SO only option without tons of work is an HID, which some say lens is not suitable for. Or an upgrade 80w100 halogen Wagner BP 2010 or something like that. I have the Wagner and took it out. As I read threads about the minimal wire gauge that was running the headlight I decided to go HID. Now there was a thread where a fellow found a CREE LED bulb to go into the H$ housing and he was ordering it. But I have not heard anything on the swap in awhile. I would consider running the Wagner 80w100, but would run some new wiring with a relay.

That would be me with the cree headlight. See following link

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85189

:canada:

So Bert hows the light now you have had it a bit for operational check?

I have yet to ride in the dark with the bike this year so cant speak to how it illuminates yet. The fan has develloped a squeaky noise on start up that disapears after 30 to 40 seconds, so that may be its weak point. As started previously, its low beam is strong and gets your attention during day. High beam does not seem to make much difference asside from illuminating ground closer to bike. Once I get to ride at night I will have a better idea. :canada:

• 3 months later...
Any one know where to get brighter passing lights, seems the stock Yamaha ones are not the best. Thanks

Which passing lights do you have? There are 35w sealed beam passing lights and there are 55w halogen passing lights. I have the latter and they are great at night.

Jay

Also bought the CREE headlight from the Canadian Co. I 've done a lot of riding at night and the one I bought has a definite difference between low & high. I do not, however, recommend the Company for reasons I won't get into here. DO read the warranty/return policy carefully............I also used the trucklite passing lites and found they installed easily. Do use one of the many padded clamps on the market to hold the lights in the shell as you tighten the screw, making sure the rim is inside the clamp(Don't ask!!!). You have to angle the passing lights higher which is done before you install the lamp!

GOOD LUCK!!!:bighug::bighug::backinmyday::backinmyday:

• 1 month later...

i put cree 10 watt lights on my ninja 250 that are incredible as far as visibility to cars go. since installation no one haspulled in front of me.i just recieved a set of cree 18 watt to install on the venture sidecar. will be adding a osram european halogen to the headlight.these european bulbs are different then the usa silverlights and are stock wattage but throw much more light.

After having problems with the charging (turned out it was the rectifier/voltage regulator) I took a closer look at my lights, making sure I don't overload my system. With all the additional lights (front and back) I needed to get read of something.

Than I realized - instead of taking off my LED marking lights, or HD brake lights, or trunk brake bar, I've replaced my 50W passing lights with 11W passing lights. I can see the difference in the intensity of the lights but the 11W ones are still plenty bright. Moreover, at night my 50W were too bright (cars were constantly flashing their lights) and they were "overpowering" my headlight. Now, they add more "light coverage" without being too bright. And I'm sure oncoming cars are happier, too. I do have a brighter Sylvania headlight (not sure which one but the brightest you can find at Advance Auto, gives a bright white light, not blue at all).

Another benefit - the 11W ones are under $10 for both at Lowe's!... Can't beat that....

BTW, you can find a 9W LED par36 online for about $25 a piece and that was my plan (they would be about as bright as 50W halogen) but after installing 11W halogen there's no need for me to spend more money for the LED's.