IGNORED

Odessy is almost dead

MasterGuns

Installed a brand new Odessy PC80 battery about 3 months ago. Just went out to take a ride and the bike wouldn't start. As a matter of fact the dash wouldn't even come on. So started troubleshooting. Nothing pulling power when connected. Removed fuses one at a time and no change in voltage. With the battery tender hooked up cannot get voltage above 11.57 even battery completely disconnected. So my question is can an Odessy PC80 fail that quickly? Was good yesterday. Guess I'll have to go to Wally World and get one of theirs if I want to ride today.

I am now very disappointed in Odessy batteries.

Masterguns

I'd go back to where you got the Odyssey. No way it should go that quick. Something is wrong with either your bike, or the battery. I had an Odyssey in my 2000 VL1500, and it was going strong when I sold it, and probably still is after three years +.

I'd go back to where you got the Odyssey. No way it should go that quick. Something is wrong with either your bike, or the battery. I had an Odyssey in my 2000 VL1500, and it was going strong when I sold it, and probably still is after three years +.

Fixing to have to buy a battery for my '07 VStar 650 before I sell it and I guess I need to stay away from Odyssey?

The factory battery has been a good one. Bike has 39k miles and still has the original battery. It will crank the bike, but drags when engine is cold.

I worked in the factory where these batteries are made. They are generally very good quality but like anything made by man they can fail. Charge the battery and check the charging system. Don't just assume it is the battery is faulty if it is get it warranties and try another one before giving up. Give them a chance to make it right. After all it isn't often we can buy a product still made in the USA (Warrensburg MO).

First, I corrected the spelling of this battery as well as the model.

I was in an extreme hurry while typing my first post and didn't have time to give everyone all the details so I unintentionally left out one crucial detail. That is that while connecting an accent light power line I accidently shorted out the switch power lead coming from the battery. As a matter of fact I think I may had shorted the same line out twice. I was also in a hurry trying to get the installation completed and didn't disconnect the negative battery cable even though I know I should had. You know the old adage "Haste makes waste".

So could shorting out the power lead to the accent light switch destroy an Odyssey PC680? If so, then I'll never buy another one because I would now consider them as being too fragile. Never the less, could I have destroyed the battery myself?

Masterguns

Battery Tender won't charge a gel cell properly I don't think. It may keep it topped off but can't get it charged from totally dead. Hook it up to a six or ten amp charger and let it charge it. I ran an oddesy down three times to totally dead leaving the ign switch on in the garage for a couple of days. It still lasted me about four years doing that.

To answer your question, probably not. How hot did the wire you shorted get and how long was it shorted, a few milliseconds, about a second, more than a second?? Heck, just hitting the starter draws a whole lot of amps instantaneously...

Battery Tender won't charge a gel cell properly I don't think. It may keep it topped off but can't get it charged from totally dead. Hook it up to a six or ten amp charger and let it charge it. I ran an oddesy down three times to totally dead leaving the ign switch on in the garage for a couple of days. It still lasted me about four years doing that.

Buddy, you are correct. Hooked up the Odyssey to a 10 amp charger yesterday for a couple hours then took it to have it load tested. It tested good. Just checked it and it is still holding at 13.10 volts. So I won't have to go to Wally World after all. Thanks for the guidance.

Herb