IGNORED

Dumb Mistake

I should always wear my glasses but last winter I put my battery on the trickle charger. I didn't see the selection knob and I had it on 6 volts charge for about three months. When I put it in the bike it was pretty much discharged. Would that mistake ruin a battery. I charged it and did a couple of short rides but noticed yesterday that the battery was just about dead. Anyone ever made this dumb mistake before and if so what was you experience afterward.

NEVER use a common cheap trickle charger on a motorcycle battery, especially if you can't activley monitor the process. That's why most of us use a 'smart' charger so we can set it and forget it. The 'Battery Tender' 1.75Amp unit seems most popular. Got mine at a garage sale for $5 but they sell new for around $50-$60

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Well, as it turns out, charging a 21v battery with a 6 volt charger does no harm at all. Apparently it just take twice as long to charge it because you are putting half the voltage into it. I checked online and found a few answers to my question.

I have an excellent trickle charger so that is not a problem at all. I have used it for five years charging my Gold Wing battery all winter and it worked perfectly. I suspect I inadvertantly have left the bike turned on Accessory and that has discharged the battery. Time will tell.

Hey Ron

I know you have a 2013 and I remember you talking about the iSimple and iPod.....so I'll just ask by way of a reminder.....have you been un-plugging the iPod, disconnecting from your bike? It will continue to draw from the bike recharging itself if you don't and run down the battery if the bike sits.

Just something to consider.:080402gudl_prv:

Hey Ron

I know you have a 2013 and I remember you talking about the iSimple and iPod.....so I'll just ask by way of a reminder.....have you been un-plugging the iPod, disconnecting from your bike? It will continue to draw from the bike recharging itself if you don't and run down the battery if the bike sits.

Just something to consider.:080402gudl_prv:

I never hooked up the ipod but I noticed that my Gerbing seems to draw power even when I have turned the controller knob to the off position. However, the battery was really low before I hooked up my Gerbing stuff so it can't be that.