IGNORED

I still shed a tear when I think about it

Galapagos

40 years ago I was 18 years old. I worked with an old guy named Tony who had a deer camp in Pa. At that time I rode dirt bikes and knew nothing really about street bikes. Tony offered for free an old bike that was leaning against a tree at his camp. Said it was there when he bought the place and was complete. I told him thanks but what was I going to do with an old rusty street bike? Never took him up on his offer to get the bike. What was the name he told me? Oh yeah....

He called it an Indian.

Anybody got a tissue?

I have a similar story about a 49 Mercury Woodie wagon I could have had in Paoli PA back in the 70's...

I feel the same way when I think back to the time when I sold my first car...... a 1967 Pontiac G.T.O...... for $600.00. That car was pristine with a Burgundy paint job, Chrome baby Moon hubcaps, a white leather interior on black carpet, Hurst four speed in the floor with an 8 ball knob on the top, 3 deuces penetrating the hood and a set of fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. At the time it only got four miles to the gallon and I couldn't afford the gas at $.35/gal:mo money: :doh::crying::95:

That car is worth over $30,000 today:buttkick:

Guest tx2sturgis
.......a 1967 Pontiac G.T.O...... for $600.00. That car was pristine with a Burgundy paint job, Chrome baby Moon hubcaps, a white leather interior on black carpet, Hurst four speed in the floor with an 8 ball knob on the top...

Dude...I'm not even a 'car guy' and that car sounds bad-ass...

:happy34:

Back in high school (mid 70's) I had an old 1965 Corvair. Red. Two door. 3 speed. Hated it. But it got me to school and to the mall and into trouble with the law more than a few times. Damn 55 mph speed limit!

I hated the car (so did Ralph Nader!) and felt like I had won the lottery when I sold it for $200....

Today a good running example of that car is worth between $3000 and about $10,000.

Not exactly a fortune, but still, a good amount of money.

Hindsight! :doh:

1956 Mercedes 190SL. Offered to me by my high school guidance counselor for $4000. Offer was one year too soon (didn't have my real job yet). This was in the early '80s.

Wasn't quite in this good of shape, but wasn't bad.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608025729807092593&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

:crying:

RR

Old Indian that my Uncle gave me. 1920s something. Used to push it up hill 1/2 mile so I could ride back down!!!He didn't give me motor!!I'm sure I could have found one for it. Its buried under I79 about 7 miles out of Charleston WV. I could almost show you exact spot!!:crying:

Old Indian that my Uncle gave me. 1920s something. Used to push it up hill 1/2 mile so I could ride back down!!!He didn't give me motor!!I'm sure I could have found one for it. Its buried under I79 about 7 miles out of Charleston WV. I could almost show you exact spot!!:crying:

I gotta jackhammer,,, we could work at night,, post the highway "Closed For Archelogical Explorations).. :rotf:

Can sooooooo relate to all these posts!! Had a 1970 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland, 4 speed, tan interior, Dark Green with black Mach stripes.. Spoilers front and rear, factory side pipes, cool little fake factory hood scoop with "351" emblems,, FACTORY 8 track!!.. Got it in 71 with 12k miles, got married in 80, had first kid in 81, needed cash to get family car,, times were hard (remember that recession?) sold it in 83 for $1500 bucks....

RATSSSSSSSSSS

Oh well,, loved the car but LOVE my family wayyyyyyyyyyy more....

Not the greatest pic but this is one I've regretted selling since 1968.

1958 Chev Impala Convertible (US model with a 348 engine and 2 speed powerglide). Even had factory continental kit. Bought it for $350, sold it for $350 :doh:

[ATTACH]83779[/ATTACH]

Had a 1953 JAGUAR XK150MC Coupe bought for $750, learned how to drive fast in a real road car (150 mph), then traded it for a '58 Chevrolet Corvette with 3 tops and a big motor (dual quad 327 that would burn rubber in 4 gears), then sold that pig for enough money to finish my college education (tuition and board). Either car would be $60-80K today..........kinda like an education cost now. Glad I don't have them anymore as the Jag nickle and dimed me to near death, and the Vette literally tried to kill me, and really did kill the guy who bought it from me.......despite my warnings. Oh well. I sure like looking at the few I see from time to time, but it brings back memories of the reality of those old beasts, but I sure wouldn't want one again.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Don't tell the American Pickers dudes.

Puc I had a mercury Montego MX convertible with the 351 Cleveland in it . I was 16 what a car I had so much fun with it .we would go out to the winter wheat

fields put the top down put it reverse and just let it go where ever the car wanted to, called it "Boating" .Couldn't keep tires on it just wanted to burn , burn , burn .

How about a 1955 Jaguar XK-140 convertible? Paid $700 for it, then traded it for a 1955 Mercury Montclair. If I still had the Jag it would sell for nearly 100 grand. I could buy several new Ventures for that!

One of my dream cars.

RR

Puc I had a mercury Montego MX convertible with the 351 Cleveland in it . I was 16 what a car I had so much fun with it .we would go out to the winter wheat

fields put the top down put it reverse and just let it go where ever the car wanted to, called it "Boating" .Couldn't keep tires on it just wanted to burn , burn , burn .

Bill,,, :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:,,, aint NEVER heard that one before :rotf::rotf::rotf:!!! THAT certainly sounds like something I would have DEFINITELY been into!!!

Something crazy about those days that you,, and others may remember.. I bought a set of brand new 10" (wide) Cragers and L-60's for the rear,, set of 6" SLots, Traction bars and HEADERS from K-MART of all places back in the day..

Bill,, that Cleveland would break those L-60's loose and burn em in second and sqwaak em pretty good in third running a posi.. Indeed,, it was hard on tires but what a blast!!!

Reverse in a wheat field with the top down and just let it go :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Had a couple of Chevelles, a 64, 327 4-speed I bought in 68 while still in high school. It got me thru four years in the USAF and two more years and then I found a 65 Chevelle body with a 12 bolt, 4:10 posi in perfect condition and transferred the stuff from the 64 to the 65. Parked the car later an rebuilt the motor and put in a 240Z. Sold the body for $125.

What I missed out on was a 65 Chevelle Z-16 sitting in a field that was complete. The Z-16's were special built and had the 396/375hp engines as a precursor to the 396 Chevelles that came out in 1966. Only 201 were built and one was a convertible. This one sold for $800 to a guy that turned around and sold it for $3,000. That guy cleaned it up and put a clutch in it and kept it for a few years. Some guy from Ohio found out he had it and bought it for $54,000 and was going to restore it. These things sell for over $100,000 now. For Chevy or muscle car fans, Google Z-16.

Yep, missed one that I would have loved to have had.

RandyA

In High School I bought a 64 Impala for $600 from the vice president of Dr Pepper. He lived in Garland, TX where I grew up and it was his company car from 64 to 66. He then gave it to his Mom to drive. He special ordered it, 4 door black with the 327 high perfomance that they put in vettes, powerglide transmission with dual exhaust, power windows, power seats, am-fm radio, AC, fully loaded. Transmissin was going bad and I had it rebuilt. Put crager mags and thrush mufflers on it. You could put it in low and take off, hit about 65 and shift into drive and it would smoke the tires. Out ran every other Impala in the area.

Some guy in an old dodge truck ran into me on the way to work after school and messed up the front fender, grill and bumper. He had no insurance or job and I did not have the money to fix it. I have regretted not keeping it and fixing it up. I have never seen another Impala like it.

I had a friend with a V8 Gremlin also. Unbelievably fast and can't believe we are still around to talk about it. Most people don't believe you could get that big engine in the little car

There was a car dealer that customized something like 200 Gremmies and installed a 401 big block in them.

Not the greatest pic but this is one I've regretted selling since 1968.

1958 Chev Impala Convertible (US model with a 348 engine and 2 speed powerglide). Even had factory continental kit. Bought it for $350, sold it for $350 :doh:

[ATTACH]83779[/ATTACH]

One of my favorite cars I owned was my '58 Bel Air 2 door hardtop. Had a very good running 283 with the sourglide. Got it from my sister and beat the ever loving out of it and drove it into the junkyard with 120,000 miles. I do miss that car...