IGNORED

pluuged rear tire

crazygaucho

I'm just venting here ........... I went for a short ride this morning because my back still hurts.

on my way back found my brand new Michelin commander with less than 300 miles rear tire with a screw in it, plugged the tire and holds pressure but I don't think nor fell safe anymore just money down the toilet again:confused24:

with the luck I've been having lately I think I gonna need a church bell instead of my guardian bell

No issue just patch the tire and ride some will disagree but I never threw a tire away due to a nail or screw just plug it to get you home then patch it I done this many years

That is IF it's in the tread area now a sidewall hole is a different story means your tire is trash

Edited by buddy

If it's one of those Plug Patches them you are good to go. (I would add a bottle of Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant just to be on the safe side) If it's just a straight auto tire plug I would not trust it, especially on any long hauls.

I have used the rope plug followed by Slime more than once on the rear.

Actually 3 times, and rode the tires to normal wear.

My solo bike has one now, on a Commander II. Dang roofers.

(Would prefer RideOn to Slime,,, just not available on the shelf here.)

But, you can also put a tube in it. I did that on a bigger hole than I was happy with plugging.

If it's one of those Plug Patches them you are good to go. (I would add a bottle of Ride-On Motorcycle Tire Balancer and Sealant just to be on the safe side) If it's just a straight auto tire plug I would not trust it, especially on any long hauls.

They call those uni-seals. I did tire repair for a long time.

just went to my mechanic he said he will patch it for just the cost of the assembly and re balance ($60)

He swears it is completely safe and he does it on his sport bike.......... also said not to ride on plugs for long distance ...................:confused24::confused24:

I can get a Pirelli MT66 for a hundred bucks anyone had use this tire ?????

Well if you don't replace it, put in a bottle of " Ride - On " Sealer, darn good stuff

I did patch tire with mushroom type plugs and add ride on tyre sealant. Tyre will be good until time to be replaced. Once again as somebody mention before if puncture is in path of center of tire,its safe to repair, if is close to sidewall, trash a tyre.

Got a screw in my rear tyre last week, and did plug tyre on the side of the road. Couple Harley and GW riders stop to offer me a help, I was trilled with bikers solidarity for fellow biker broken down on the road. even tow truck stopes and offer air to fill up tyre faster than my CO cartridges.

I do have half of bottle of ride on sealant , but not enough for Stratoliner tyre size need 12oz and Ride On is steep on shipping ($14 if you purchase less than $75 )

Edited by stardbog

I have heard for years that plugged tires aren`t safe,I think the tire manufactures came up with this,i have personally plugged tires and run them until worn out,I guess like anything else it all depends on how you feel about it,or if your dripping money.

I have heard for years that plugged tires aren`t safe,I think the tire manufactures came up with this,i have personally plugged tires and run them until worn out,I guess like anything else it all depends on how you feel about it,or if your dripping money.

A plug that is improperly installed can "pop" out at speed leading to deflation equivalent to a blowout. The result can rank between scary and lethal, depending on the bike's speed, the road surface, rider skill, etc. Tire manufacturer's don't like to get sued and it's difficult (If not impossible) to prove that a plug was improperly installed. They are doing a C.Y.A. move and you can't really blame them. I've seen this subject discussed in other forums and in the "service" section of bike mags. The consensus of opinion is pretty much as those above have stated. If the plug is properly installed and the hole is not in a sidewall then you are properly good to go. Putting a patch on the inside and/or adding Slime, etc. is good insurance unless you're running Dyna Beads - those would have to be removed or they would stick in the Slime, etc. and quite possibly throw the tire way out of balance. If you are running a sport bike at races and/or track days then a plug is a bad idea. Even the best plug, carefully installed could get thrown out when you are running at top speed and cornering at the limit.

One important fact that was left out - once that plug is installed, make absolutely certain that your tire pressure is always at the recommended level or better. An underinflated tire is far more likely to spit out a plug, especially at highway speeds and heavily loaded which often describes the use our RSV's get. After all - they are touring bikes!

Andy

I'm not dripping money and kinda of frugal ........... but ridding my bike at 70-80 mph and worrying if the plug or the patch are going to hold it will take the fun and the grin away from me.......... on the other hand I know we are taking risks the minute we get in our bikes, cagers texting, all kinds of flying debris,chunks of truck tires etc etc. if my day comes so be it; my suitcase is already packed just don't want it any sooner because I did not spent an extra $140.

right now I just ridding only 5 to 10 miles at the time and no freeway when I get better I'll celebrate with a new tire !!!!!

Depending on the type of plug you should be fine. However as an added measure of security I would put a patch on the inside as soon as it is convenient.

I sold tires for a living in the old days. If you insist on using a patch take off the tire and patch the inside also. You are really taking a chance with your life by riding a patched tire. The cords will be compromised with a patch and can cause a catastrophe failure. By that I mean a big hole blowout. I had one in a pickup truck doing 70mph on the highway. It became a scary situation real fast. I would not even like to think about a bike tire blowing. Do what you want but your life is more valuable than that.

had a blow up front tire on a Taurus going from Vegas to LA at about 70mph,had a very hard time keeping the car on the road and destroyed the driver side fender, door and took all the plastics off.

is a closed case for me going to buy probably a cheap shinko or Pirelli but at least no holes plugs or patches in it......................... if I get the most expensive tire in the market a

5 cent nail will ruin it just as well

don't laugh at me they call me crazy for a reason but

does anybody know or heard of road hazard insurance ????

like they offer on car tires ???

does anybody know or heard of road hazard insurance ????

like they offer on car tires ???

I bought my Dunlops at Cycle Gear & the gave me a full replacement ( not pro rated) lifetime road hazard warranty down to 2/32 of an inch tread

I sold tires for a living in the old days. If you insist on using a patch take off the tire and patch the inside also. You are really taking a chance with your life by riding a patched tire. The cords will be compromised with a patch and can cause a catastrophe failure. By that I mean a big hole blowout. I had one in a pickup truck doing 70mph on the highway. It became a scary situation real fast. I would not even like to think about a bike tire blowing. Do what you want but your life is more valuable than that.

I'm assuming your speaking of a plugged tire instead of a patch as your stating? Because I never heard nor seen an outward patch on a tire ? As this Can be misleading to some here

Edited by buddy

I did patch tire with mushroom type plugs and add ride on tyre sealant. Tyre will be good until time to be replaced. Once again as somebody mention before if puncture is in path of center of tire,its safe to repair, if is close to sidewall, trash a tyre.

Got a screw in my rear tyre last week, and did plug tyre on the side of the road. Couple Harley and GW riders stop to offer me a help, I was trilled with bikers solidarity for fellow biker broken down on the road. even tow truck stopes and offer air to fill up tyre faster than my CO cartridges.

I do have half of bottle of ride on sealant , but not enough for Stratoliner tyre size need 12oz and Ride On is steep on shipping ($14 if you purchase less than $75 )

Buy it on Amazon not direct from ride-on..... Just a little FYI for ya...:whistling:

Buy it on Amazon not direct from ride-on..... Just a little FYI for ya...:whistling:

Hey Cougar, I did get my from amazon after research. Ride on is great stuff. Once dealer save my used tyre to show me and there was ride on. It was really nicely spread trough center of tyre. believe somebody reported that that green stuff called Slime make mess and is ***** to clean next tyre change , if you are doing yourself, which, I don't.

Best,

I have a auto repair shop nearby that has "plugged" tires for me on my trucks several times. I have yet to have a leak or failure of any kind. When he plugs the tire the first thing is to take the tire off the rim, inspect for damage, clean the area and installs a plug from the inside. On the other end of the plug is a patch that is pulled from the outside to covers the area on the inside in a circle about an inch around the hole.

Reinstall tire - there's no way for a failure to occur. It's plugged and patched from the inside.