IGNORED

Pulling a Trailer

Money Venture

I have a little, approx. 4 ft. square, trailer that I always envisioned pulling behind the bike on long trips. Is this an appropriate trailer to do so and what do others use for a trailer hitch on the bike? This one has the standard 1-7/8" ball connection at the moment. Thanks.

Doug,

We need to know what bike you have (1st or 2nd gen) so we can steer you in the right direction. If you have a 2nd gen there are a few aftermarket ones available like Krome works. One of our own members (who is as much a master fabricator as I've ever seen) makes one for the 2nd gen, here the link in the classifieds.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3919&title=rsv26amp-3b-rstd-trailer-hitch&cat=24

I have used this style hitch on my G2's and have had zero issues with them.

This is my trailer it is simple and the cost is cheap and it goes all over with me I don't have 3 & 4 grand for a bushtec trailer to do the same thing this does and has traveled many miles.

That's what I did works great $150.00 trailer kit from northern tool, bolt on a car top luggage carrier. The main thing is make sure wheels and tires are rated for highway speeds.

Add Diamond R to the list of places to get a hitch. Generally a longer tongue is desired and should be roughly level when hitched up. You will most likely need a 5 wire to 4 wire system adapter, should cost you around $30 for a good one, Hoppy makes a nice one...

I have the piggy backer with 8" wheels holds a lot !! Never know it's back there perfect trailer for me bought it used for 500.00 never been on the road owner assembled it in his living room set there for three years till I bought it

Bout 4' wide with tongue bout 8' long

If you are going to put a Sears Cargo type shell on the trailer, make sure you put it far enough forward. I mounted one too far back and the trailer would periodically get the wanders & shakes on down hill at speed, yikes!

Someone saw my pics and said, "move the box forward about 6". That solved it.

I sold it off this site a year ago and the new owner said it pulled great.

I have two trailers. One is a modified harbor freight cut down narrow to fit a tool box that would go in the back of a pick-up truck. I also have a apsen classic campers. Both pull great just need a little extra room for stopping when pulling both but even more for the camper.

Pull safe and remember to check ALL the lights and tires.

I have an Gen1 1987. My trailer is similar to the HF model and I had envisioned a roof top cargo pod like you have in the picture.

For some reason I thought you had a 2nd gen, sorry! OK just keep watching ebay, 1st gen MK2 hitches periodically show up. Markland is the most common...

I like the HF deal, 4' long is ok for length but I think it's a bit wider than you want ( the HF frame is 29" wide with the wheels sitting outside that) . More concerned with weight. A longer tongue helps and remember not to keep her tail heavy. The hitch is an easy build but easier bought and not too hard on the wallet. You are not too far away if you need anything or want to try to pull one. I think you want to narrow it down, not too hard of a project. Don't want a heavy frame since you aren't pulling that much weight, I am close enough to lend a hand. I might have an old car topper in storage.

I have a friend who's got a HF trailer with a Sears cargo topper on it looking to sell. It's also full of their tent camping equipment he'd sell along with it if interested. They bought our Bunkhouse camper last year and don't need it anymore. You can pm me if interested.

Unless you just like to "tinker" look for the HF Tag Along. Sometimes they have it on sale. It is complete and ready for the road. I have around 15,000 miles on mine and so far never a minute's trouble. The original tires lasted about 11,000 miles. I changed the original bearings when I changed tires, just because others have said the Chinese bearings were junk. From what I saw even at 11,000 miles they looked brand new. On original assembly I did pack them with a good moly grease though. I also have added several LED lights, 'cause I like to be seen!!!