I was told that my 87 Venture Royale needs a new brain. I don't know what the central processor is called, it's some sort of black box. Supposedly it controls much of the motorcycle's electronics.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Where can I get one?:detective:

There are 2 different electronic modules on your bike.

One is the TCI that GAWildKat mentioned, It controls the spark and ignition system. There is another computer in the dash that monitors for various faults.

If you can describe your symptoms we can steer you in the right direction.

Well the cruise control doesn't work, because I have yet to replace the speedometer, which started making an awful grinding noise about halfway between Tallahassee and Miami. I'm looking for the brains of the operation. And a speedometer. And a dozen other assorted parts.

The bike wouldn't start one morning. Called a mechanic, he said the "black box" was at fault, I needed to find another one. He did manage to get me back on the road, with the advice to sell it while it was running. That sounds shady to me. I have half-heartedly been looking for whatever it is that makes it work, not being much of a mechanic. (The Venture was a gift from dad who's too old to hold it up, or pick it back up should the need arise.)

Yesterday, beautiful sunny day, it started sputtering, the tach would occasionally go to zero, then jump back to where it belonged. When I got home, I twisted the throttle to see if it would run smoothly in neutral, but no. So now I'm scared to take it out, and am stuck in an old PT Cruiser.:sick:

OK the TCI, Transistor Controlled Ignition, is most likely at fault. The TCI also controls the Tach via the spark to #2 cylinder. Moisture inside the box is the usual reason for failure. Your best bet is to upgrade to a Ignech replacement module which member Dingy programs to the Venture and sells. He makes no money on this, or very little for the time he spends, and is a lot cheaper than a brand new stock one if you can even find one. It is pretty much plug and play but there is a bit of electrical and mechanical work involved. I'm sure he can provide detailed instructions or maybe some member down near you will volunteer to help...

I think I'm on the right track. Thanks.

I'll have to look, but I think we have the stock TCI that came with the bike via the PO, I have no idea if it works or how well it works, but I'll track it down in the garage later today and it's yours for the shipping cost. I'd suggest ordering the one dingy offers ASAP because it's programmable via a laptop. I'll let you know when I find it and get it boxed up, soonest it will be out the door is Monday.

• 5 weeks later...
Man, I appreciate that so much. Let me know. Give me a weight, and your address, and I'll send you a pre-paid label from my job.

Did you ever get a TCI? If you didn't I live in Crestview and have one, I'll be glad to let you use to check your bike.

I did get one from the people in Georgia, but haven't had time to try to figure out how to swap them out. My wife and I just moved, we are in a house that had been vacant for a long time, so we've been busy busy busy! I do appreciate the offer, and since you are in Crestview, I might just need to ask for some advice from time to time. I've only had the bike about a year, don't really know what I'm doing much of the time.

Thank you!

I'm glad you got the TCI. I forgot with all the craziness with hubby's college and graduation to ask if it was delivered ok. I wish I knew better how to tell you to install it but I read the forums and bug ppl lol. I just hope it works ok.

For testing you can just leave the old TCI where it is. Just unplug the two connectors and the cable is long enough that you can have the new one taped on top of the air cleaner for testing.

If you do end up replacing it, same story leave the old one where it is and just install the new one either on top of the air cleaner or in the left fairing.

The stock location is a real PITA to get it out.