IGNORED

Dragons tail or Cherohala Skyway?

ragtop69gs

After B2MOM & Dad's M&E we are heading to New Bern, Nc. to visit the grandkids, while on the way, we are planning to ride either the dragon or cherohala skyway (don't have time for both) I'm looking for guidance on which one to ride. We will be in the area mid-week so traffic on either should not be an issue. It will be the wife on her trike and me on 2 wheels. We both like the twisties, but also like scenic rides too. Opinions please.

Then on to Rolling Thunder on the way home. :cool10:

Start in Tellico Plains, Tn and ride the Cherohala Skyway to Hwy 129. Then go north to Deals Gap and ride the Tail of the Dragon up and back. Then leave Deals Gap and ride Hwy 28 south to Franklin, the Hwy 64 east to I-26. Or, don't go all the way to Franklin, take 28 to 74 and take 74 east through Cherokee on back to I-40. You will proclaim it to be some of the best riding of your lifetime.

You can ride the 11 miles up and back on The Dragon in less than an hour. In my opinion, you don't go over there and not ride both.

Edited by BigLenny

After B2MOM & Dad's M&E we are heading to New Bern, Nc. to visit the grandkids, while on the way, we are planning to ride either the dragon or cherohala skyway (don't have time for both) I'm looking for guidance on which one to ride. We will be in the area mid-week so traffic on either should not be an issue. It will be the wife on her trike and me on 2 wheels. We both like the twisties, but also like scenic rides too. Opinions please.

We ride the BRP a lot and just live a little ways from it, even thou I am in SC. There is a place called Little Switzerland on the BRP. If you can 8 people to get together, you can have a cabin that has 8 rooms, complete privacy with there own bathrooms. They have shelter for bikes and air compressor and they cater to bikers. Last time I was there it was 65.00 a nite and a free breakfast buffet. It is a nice clean place to visit, Jim

The dragon is ok if you just want to say I did it.If you like twisties I suggest you ride to Marion NC and ride up highway 80 (The Diamondback).Lots of twisties with a 2000 foot elevation climb to the BRP then take NC 226a (the Devils Whip) back down the 2000 foot elevation change back to Marion.From there you have several options east.US 64,US70 or I40.Weekend or weekday you will usually see no more than 10 vehicles on these roads.I live in Marion so if you elect these roads I can ride with you.These are 2 of the roads we normally ride during the Asheville Meet.

Start in Tellico Plains, Tn and ride the Cherohala Skyway to Hwy 129. Then go north to Deals Gap and ride the Tail of the Dragon up and back. Then leave Deals Gap and ride Hwy 28 south to Franklin, the Hwy 64 east to I-26. Or, don't go all the way to Franklin, take 28 to 74 and take 74 east through Cherokee on back to I-40. You will proclaim it to be some of the best riding of your lifetime.

You can ride the 11 miles up and back on The Dragon in less than an hour. In my opinion, you don't go over there and not ride both.

Agree on this. You can do both if you do Cherahala first then head UP to the Dragon and just do the 11 miles up and right back. Burgers are good at the lodge at the bottom. I enjoy Hwy 28 as much as any road and then 64 East is nice too.

But if you have not done the Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Asheville (I-26), it is one of the most beautiful vista view rides in America. Not a challenge, just nice high ride with constant sweeping turns. I do that a few times a year, love to take newbee's. And eat at the Pisgah Inn 15 miles from the Asheville exit.

Can't go wrong on any of them.

OK Lenny, you convinced us to add another day and do it all :thumbsup2:

We ride the BRP a lot and just live a little ways from it, even thou I am in SC. There is a place called Little Switzerland on the BRP. If you can 8 people to get together, you can have a cabin that has 8 rooms, complete privacy with there own bathrooms. They have shelter for bikes and air compressor and they cater to bikers. Last time I was there it was 65.00 a nite and a free breakfast buffet. It is a nice clean place to visit, Jim

I'll take a look at what you suggest but don't think time will allow it on this trip. We have been thru Little Switzerland before (in the cage) and would like to see it again on the bike.

The dragon is ok if you just want to say I did it.If you like twisties I suggest you ride to Marion NC and ride up highway 80 (The Diamondback).Lots of twisties with a 2000 foot elevation climb to the BRP then take NC 226a (the Devils Whip) back down the 2000 foot elevation change back to Marion.From there you have several options east.US 64,US70 or I40.Weekend or weekday you will usually see no more than 10 vehicles on these roads.I live in Marion so if you elect these roads I can ride with you.These are 2 of the roads we normally ride during the Asheville Meet.

Another to add to the future rides down there.

We will be going down there a few times a year now that the grandkids are living down there.

I travel this route quite often. Not sure how much Interstate you will run but I have traveled from Kingston, Tn. over to Tellico Plains, Tn. (beginning the Cherohala Skyway)

over to run the Tail of the Dragon up and back over towards Bryson City, NC.

Many more routes are available!

Not sure how long or time you have to spend in the area.

I have given many guided trips in the area so if you have any questions feel free to call or email.

Have a great trip

follow link below to see a suggested route.

http://binged.it/1ozjiem

When we went to Asheville, after the Skyline and the BRP, and getting on and off for the nite on some of those access roads, by the time we got to the Dragon we actually found it kinda tame! You will enjoy it but be careful, lotsa idiots there and an occasional semi that don't belong there!!

We try to do about a 60/40 split, surface hwy/ interstate. Scenic routes are always prefered, interstate in between, if it's not to far out of the way.

I travel this route quite often. Not sure how much Interstate you will run but I have traveled from Kingston, Tn. over to Tellico Plains, Tn. (beginning the Cherohala Skyway)

over to run the Tail of the Dragon up and back over towards Bryson City, NC.

Many more routes are available!

Not sure how long or time you have to spend in the area.

I have given many guided trips in the area so if you have any questions feel free to call or email.

Have a great trip

follow link below to see a suggested route.

http://binged.it/1ozjiem

Good on ya for taking the xtra time and doing both Ragtop.. If I were caught with HAVING to choose I would go with the rest of these guys,, there are LOTS of swervey curvey twisty roads down yonder but only ONE yippy kye yi eay CHEROHALA SKYWAY!!:cool10:

Have a safe and wonderful journey!!

Puc

Glad to see you are going to take the time to do both, but if it was only one...I vote for Cherahola. so much nicer and although you should do the Dragon once in your life, you will remember the very scenic Cherahola more. such a beautiful ride. Totally check out eck's directions. very good! You can ask him when you are here for our meet. I believe he is signed up again this year.

Can't wait to see you and Jeannie. ride safe

Sounds like you have a plan going. The area is full of great roads and all the suggestions have been great.

One tip: Keep an eye on the time. Do NOT do the Dragon after dark! Irene and I did this once, simply because it was the only route between where we were and where we needed to be that wouldn't have taken a bunch of hours more. Exciting, but not fun.

Sounds like you have a plan going. The area is full of great roads and all the suggestions have been great.

One tip: Keep an eye on the time. Do NOT do the Dragon after dark! Irene and I did this once, simply because it was the only route between where we were and where we needed to be that wouldn't have taken a bunch of hours more. Exciting, but not fun.

Plan is to ride from Paris to Tellico rest up and hit Cherohala and the Dragon first thing in the morning. I had to ride from Cooke City to West Yellowstone in the dark, it was not something I'd want to do again, them Bison just appear out of nowhere! :yikes: They blend into the darkness real well. The following year I almost got caught in the dark there again, wasn't my fault this time... who would have figured we'd get slowed down in August by a snow storm :doh: barely made it out of the park before dark.

Plan is to ride from Paris to Tellico rest up and hit Cherohala and the Dragon first thing in the morning. I had to ride from Cooke City to West Yellowstone in the dark, it was not something I'd want to do again, them Bison just appear out of nowhere! :yikes: They blend into the darkness real well. The following year I almost got caught in the dark there again, wasn't my fault this time... who would have figured we'd get slowed down in August by a snow storm :doh: barely made it out of the park before dark.

If you are going to be staying in Tellico, there are some real nice cabins on the river just before you start up the mountain. You go past town and there is a bridge on the left that you cross and you turn right at the service station and the cabins are on the left side of the road. I have a card somewhere if I can find it.

RandyA

If you are going to be staying in Tellico, there are some real nice cabins on the river just before you start up the mountain. You go past town and there is a bridge on the left that you cross and you turn right at the service station and the cabins are on the left side of the road. I have a card somewhere if I can find it.

RandyA

I think these are the cabins that Venturous is speaking of.

http://www.tellicologcabins.com/

Call For Reservations

423-519-2000

cherohala skyway ...............then take Hwy 64 east thru Franklin, Highlands, cashiers to Hendersonville and catch I-26 east ...

You'll be glad you did.......:twing::cool10:

Just outside Highlands you can ride behind the Bridal Veil Falls. Make sure you take your camera for this.