IGNORED

Looking for a little radio help.

Hoosierdrummer

Hello guys, I'm a newby Venture owner. I just purchased a really nice 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale and it is a great bike. The only thing missing on the bike is the cover for the sound pick up on the radio. I don't know exactly what it is called but it picks up wind speed or road noise or something that makes the volume increase on the radio. Is there any place to get a replacement part or is there any ideas of something I could use as a substitute???

Thanks Steve

Hi Mobile,, WELCOME TO VR (dont think we have met yet)!!

Congrats on the bike,, gotta love these ol 1st Gens!!

I know the little cover your talking about,, I had a Royale years ago that the same little cover got torn on,, it appeared to be just a piece of cloth like material, I just cut a small piece of polyester out of the sleeve from an old shirt, glued it along the edges with seal all and stuck it over the torn piece (done in a parking lot somewhere out west) thinking I would at least keep some water out of that hole.. Worked fine...

I wouldnt be surprised to hear that one of these guys has a supply of those little covers... Maybe even check with a dealer,, maybe they have a supply of them to match their supply of Cassette Players :rotf::080402gudl_prv: (common joke around here)..

Anyway,,, congrats again on your recent purchase, have a great summer!!

Puc

• 1 month later...

It was a pretty easy fix over all. The hardest part was separating the green plastic away from the housing. The material came from an old t-shirt that I cut a small section from. I pulled out the radio unit from the bike, turned it over. I then removed the two retaining nuts that holds the portion that the volume controls are housed in. I took off the knobs and o-rings, slid the unit out of the radio housing exposing the screws. With the screws removed, the cover came off and I tapped the green insert out and covered the hole. I then put super glue gel around all the ports protruding out of the faceplate and reinserted the green illumination piece. I reassembled the unit and sprayed the cloth with scotch guard... I hope this post helps anyone with the same problem with their 1st gen radio...

:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis
Where is that mic on a second gen so I can avoid it when I wash it once a year?

You're safe. Wash all you want, (even once a year!) on the 2nd gen... the stereo auto-volume is regulated by a menu setting and is triggered directly from the speedometer readings.

:happy34: