IGNORED

My Spook is back

Yammer Dan

Those that were around might remember what a time I had getting back on a few yrs ago after that idiot donated me this leg.

I pulled the 2nd Gen up to the garage door today with full intension of trying it out. Kevin, Don and a few know its a little tricky coming out of my garage but has never bothered me. I stopped at the door just to look things over (should have just kept going)and the longer I sat the more bad thoughts I got. Ended up getting shakes again so bad I parked it right where it was with its nose sticking out of the garage. I thought I had this thing beat. I love to ride but couldn't pull the trigger to go out that door. I thought I was done with this crap!! I know it sounds crazy and wimpy but...

Hey Skid you could come down and take it to the road.....just kidding buddy got to do it myself.

Hey Dan I didn't know you were having this problem my friend. If I lived closer I would come over and help you get back into it. But anyway, take your time man and don't let it whip you. We are all out here rooting for you!!!!

I have always lived by the "Cowboy Up" rule and had to apply it many many times brother,,,, BUT,,, (knock on wood) aint lived thru the nasty stuff where the other party was severely injured either, I think that would be a different story for me too Dan...

Personally,,, I would probably off it,,, aint like you dont have another bike to play with AND a new 2nd Gen to break in!!:thumbsup2:

Dan I know exactly how you feel and it is nothing to be ashamed of buddy. After I recovered from my major crash ( took 6 months)I forget how many times I climbed on the scoot....and shut it down. I didn't think I'd ever ride again....but one day it all came together and off I went on 2 wheels again.:cool10:

Give yourself all the time you need....when the time is right you will know it and roll on the throttle.

Boomer....who sez wounds of the memory take longer to heal.

Dan I know what your feeling !

Backing out the garage I have to go at least 60 feet back with a incline before I can ride and with my right knee I always had issues of dropping the bike

That's why I went to a convertible but I'm still here and hope I can mark some of the meets & Rally's hang in there Dan it will work out

Dan most any of us who've been down that road with accidents know full well how you're feeling right now. When those days come around and your gut feeling says no ride today you listen and wait for another time. Better safe than sorry later. Besides the riding season has just started to get going for most of us. Haven't even had mine out of the garage yet in fact due to roads and still a bit chilly here in Michigan.

Larry

August 10, 2006. Nice evening ride to meet some friends at a chicken restaurant nearby. Leaned into a right hander and the road was covered in sand. The FJR slid sideways across the road in a full lock, feet up slide. Hit the far shoulder and high sided right into a tree. The body went into stress mode and I went into shock. Don' remember anything until I woke up in a hospital, the second one, in Toronto. The first hospital said I was in too bad shape for them to handle it.

Broken pelvis in two places right beside the replaced hip joint. Three broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, and a broken hand. Lost so much blood to bruising that I had to have two transfusions to top me up.

Within two weeks I started fixing the bike from a chair. Sold the FJR and in March 2007 I bought a GL 1800. Don't recall any real issues with riding again but I can understand that some would.

While in the hospital, a friend asked if I would ride again. I told him that when I had to be placed on the bike with a cherry picker and after being pushed to get me going--if I then fell over, I would consider getting a trike. ha ha. Still riding and now have a new Venture.

I know it's easier said than done, but block that bad part out of your mind and get sometwo wheeled therapy. It's the best thing you could do for your psyche.

I have long felt... if your guts and brain say today is not a riding day.... don't ride.

The first time I had one of those feelings was on a holiday weekend... groups from around town wanted a ride... I was going to go... bright sunny summer day... but it felt wrong that day.... went to the lake with the wife and her family. Well the ride got out of hand and one of my riding buddies (Jana) that had as good of brain as I would have had decided to leave the pack... I likely would have joined him.

Jana never made it home that day... killed by a drunk driver.

I listen when the mind and body say stay home....

Get strong.... be safe

If you haven't been there hard to explain. Its not something easy to understand if it hasn't happened to you. I love to ride and ride as hard as any but when this thing shuts you down going ahead at that time is not possible. Scared?? I don't know. I spent 20 yrs walking my beat and I'm not scared of anything on two feet. Smart enough to know when to back up and when I pulled that thing up to the door that was one of those times. Am I quitting? I don't know but I would bet not. Had it happen before. Look back and wonder how. That thing sure sounds sweet!!

August 10, 2006. Nice evening ride to meet some friends at a chicken restaurant nearby. Leaned into a right hander and the road was covered in sand. The FJR slid sideways across the road in a full lock, feet up slide. Hit the far shoulder and high sided right into a tree. The body went into stress mode and I went into shock. Don' remember anything until I woke up in a hospital, the second one, in Toronto. The first hospital said I was in too bad shape for them to handle it.

Broken pelvis in two places right beside the replaced hip joint. Three broken ribs, three broken vertebrae, and a broken hand. Lost so much blood to bruising that I had to have two transfusions to top me up.

Within two weeks I started fixing the bike from a chair. Sold the FJR and in March 2007 I bought a GL 1800. Don't recall any real issues with riding again but I can understand that some would.

While in the hospital, a friend asked if I would ride again. I told him that when I had to be placed on the bike with a cherry picker and after being pushed to get me going--if I then fell over, I would consider getting a trike. ha ha. Still riding and now have a new Venture.

I know it's easier said than done, but block that bad part out of your mind and get sometwo wheeled therapy. It's the best thing you could do for your psyche.

I have had over 70 broken bones. Most of them bike related. Can I ride? Come find out. The last time I crawled around on garage floor to get one back on the road. Got it done and climbed on again. Far from being the first time. I will get there.

I have long felt... if your guts and brain say today is not a riding day.... don't ride.

The first time I had one of those feelings was on a holiday weekend... groups from around town wanted a ride... I was going to go... bright sunny summer day... but it felt wrong that day.... went to the lake with the wife and her family. Well the ride got out of hand and one of my riding buddies (Jana) that had as good of brain as I would have had decided to leave the pack... I likely would have joined him.

Jana never made it home that day... killed by a drunk driver.

I listen when the mind and body say stay home....

Get strong.... be safe

When I first read and responded to this thread I misread it... I thought Dan was having issue with a particular bike he had crashed, repaired and now it was bringing back bad memories being around it (seem to misread more and more the older I get:confused24:)... Sorry Dan that I misread your post!!

Having reread this whole thing I think Kev hit the nail on the head!! God gave you those instinctive "gut feelings" that have served you well throughout your life for a reason.. Some of my biggest mistakes in life have been the result of NOT listening to them (great example Kev - thankfully you responded when you did, very very sorry about the loss of Jana)..

Puc

Been down a couple times but fortunately for me they didn't involve a lot of speed. Easy to say it's like riding a horse, hop back on when you get thrown etc. etc. Best advice, and remember you get what you pay for, listen to yourself and don't second guess yourself. When you're ready, you'll do it no doubts at all.:080402gudl_prv:

Cheers

Wayne

I have always lived by the "Cowboy Up" rule and had to apply it many many times brother,,,, BUT,,, (knock on wood) aint lived thru the nasty stuff where the other party was severely injured either, I think that would be a different story for me too Dan...

Personally,,, I would probably off it,,, aint like you dont have another bike to play with AND a new 2nd Gen to break in!!:thumbsup2:

Imagine my fear getting on the 1st gen after 1 1/2 years in traction, 3 years in a wheel chair and 36 years of not riding at all.

When I was learning how to walk again my mother would encourage me by telling me over and over again "Don't let this dragon slay you, you be the Dragonslayer" Thats where the name came from. Kinda like the Cowboy up philosphy.

My best advice from my experience is.

1. Take your time until you are ready.

2. Ride your ride and don't exceed your comfort level.

3. The only way to whip the spook is face your fear and overcome it.

4. The more time you can spend in saddle the more comfortable you will become.

5. Learning to live your life without fear is a very liberating emotion.:thumbsup2:

6. Doesn't hurt to review the Ride like a pro video and practice the exercises in an empty parking lot by yourself. But, bring a friend to help pick the bike up if you let it fall by accident.

Yammer, Just say the word and I'll come up and encourage you.:7_6_3[1]::banana::thumbsup2:

it always amazes me how our brains works and or get trigger but different circumstances, after falling off my home roof on Feb. 6th ......... I'm riding only short distances my back still hurts, and

I feel the same way you do

I guess made us realized of how really fragile we are .

for years I did electrical work and every now and then you get a Zap and it was kind of a reminder that you were getting too confident and was time to pay more attention at what you were doing

we are all different and need different times to work thinks out but I'm a firm believer on getting back on the horse who threw you (on my case back on the ladder lol) you not going to stop showering because you have fallen in the bathtub once , but is only you who will know when the time is right do not force yourself

hope you can understand what I'm trying to say with my broken English here.

and get well soon.

Dan

I'm a firm believer on getting back on the horse who threw you

That was a very important lesson Col. Maxey taught me while growing up on horseback. Col. Maxey was an old cavalry officer when they still rode horses, and a family friend that owned the horse farm I grew up on.

While I was still in the wheel chair with a cast on my leg and arm, I convinced several friends to pick me up and put me on a Honda 750 to get back on the horse. I rode that bike for about 40 miles at that time. Had no problems until got back and stopped. I couldn't put my feet down and fell over. But, I still rode that horse. Then I didn't ride again for 36 years. Like others have said, you will know when your ready.

I have had over 70 broken bones. Most of them bike related. Can I ride? Come find out. The last time I crawled around on garage floor to get one back on the road. Got it done and climbed on again. Far from being the first time. I will get there.

Wow! You are right up there with Evel Kneivel. I raced motocross professionally from 1967 till 1974. From that I got one dislocated shoulder and one pinched nerve in my back. I feel really lucky after reading your history.

It was road riding that broke my ankle, dislocated my other shoulder, and then the big crash in 2006. I should have listened to my wife and kept the Gold Wing rather than getting an FJR. I did learn a big lesson that day and that is to always remember that the road is not like a race course--YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT LIES AROUND THE NEXT BEND!!

I am more carefull these days and should I ever really want to let-er-rip, I am only about ten miles from Mosport Park. Of course I'd look pretty foolish on the track with my Venture. :rotf:

Hey Dan! Yes the 2nd gen can be intimidating especially at low speeds on rough terrain so I can understand the uncertainty that started your anxiety attack! Yes, I've been down myself and discovered I'm not invincible or unbreakable! And, as we get older our bodies can't seem to keep up with our minds and won't do what we think they can.

You'll know when the time is right to master the new beast! Perhaps when it is drier and warmer, perhaps today, only you hold that answer. As far as your episode goes just remember it is a normal thing to experience a panic attack and all that happened is something triggered you to remember a bad experience. It happens to a lot of us, if not all of us at times. To this day I still have combat related episodes and it's been 44 years. The key is knowing what they are and that it is just your mind reminding itself of possible situations that could happen.

Dragonslayer thanks for the insight to your screen name! I just assumed it meant you had been on the tail of the dragon more than once!

Dan, yeah getting out if there can be an "event". And the 2nd gen can be a beast getting out of there. Wait till it is a bit drier run it a couple times on the 1st gen to get your confidence up then take the 2nd out.

As for the spooks sometimes that's that still small voice that sees something your conscience mind isn't seeing. Never hurts to listen to it. When it's right you'll know and go.

Still haven't been out since my wreck. Been using the excuse that I am doing some "work on it I have been wanting to do" but to tell you the truth I think part of it is that I won't have to face that spooky demon as long as it's apart. I'm okay with that, it will happen when it's time to happen.

Ride Happy Ride Safe

Ahhh Dan, you're just getting over the "first time on a 2nd gen pullin' out the garage onto gravel for a quarter mile"! Been there done that myself, still gettin' over some left over "damage" from giving that 8 point buck a ride down the road a couple of years ago! Back to full time work and thinkin', just haven't got that "18 hours a day" workin' time down yet!

You'll get there on it Yammer, just listen to your brain!

Oh yeah, mine's still out in the shed.........:rotf:

Reason it took me 20 years to get back in the saddle between my 1st and 2nd gen was fear. My last ride on the 1st gen resulted in me climbng out from under the back end of a truck that had backed up on me after loosing his brakes on a hill. I had not given myself an escape route. I was lucky to walk away with minor scrapes but could never get over the fear. Decided to bite the bullet last summer and got the 2nd gen. Took me a few rides to regain confidence but I am still somewhat fearfull and very respectfull of it That is probably a good thing as the day I fully relax, it will probably bite me again. However, beating that fear back a bit was liberating.

All this to say, go at your own pace and remember that fear it not a real thing, it is a product of our imagination based on our past experiences. If you let it take over you end up with a scenario like mine where I lost 20 years worth of riding enjoyment.

:canada: